PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: the Glamour of Goodness Gracious (6yr-old in a G.P.!)

ImmortalSynn
Aug. 30, 2009, 12:07 AM
My latest... and among my favorites. Hope you enjoy! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC4nZNGoC-g

I first saw this mare go in Colorado, and was *astonished* by the combination of her beauty and athletic prowess... all made manifest at the ripe ol' age of SIX-YEARS-OLD!

Ridden by Leslie Steele, whom I'd long since come to admire for her past rides aboard the sinfully-gorgeous stallion Figuero; Goodness Gracious can be seen here putting in an exciting 4 fault round at the AGA/Budweiser Grand Prix of High Prairie... and during the beginnings of a thunderstorm at that!

This class was later won by Damian Gardner and Piñon Lili, in a spectacular jumpoff during a torrential downpour!

Sundown
Aug. 30, 2009, 12:47 PM
So how young was this horse when it first started jumping huge? And how long did it last?

CDNJumperGirl
Aug. 30, 2009, 02:56 PM
its doing the grand prixs with Trainer and the Jr Jumpers with Kid? at 6? holy hock injections batman!

there is no denying, though, the horse CAN jump- but should it?

ImmortalSynn
Aug. 30, 2009, 02:58 PM
I don't know how long her career lasted, but she was retired as a broodmare first.

Now, unfortunately, she's showjumping in the clouds... but the good news is that she has a 7yr-old son (Oh My Goodness) who Leslie is now currently competing, and that horse totally inherited his mother's fabbbbulousness ;)

ImmortalSynn
Aug. 30, 2009, 03:00 PM
its doing the grand prixs with Trainer and the Jr Jumpers with Kid? at 6? holy hock injections batman!

there is no denying, though, the horse CAN jump- but should it?
To be honest though, it's not that uncommon...
FEI minimal age is 7, which we do see quite a bit. It's not like a horse is going to go from schooling classes to that, in less then a year; so logic stands to reason that there are quite a few 6yr-olds doing the grands prix as well.

klmck63
Aug. 30, 2009, 08:05 PM
In Canada the national standard for 6 year old young horse classes is supposed to be 4'3". They aren't all run at that height because of lack of horses to fill the class, but that is the official height. Not so far off from G.P. level.

My 6 year old probably COULD do one of these classes but I think it's better to hold off until he's a real grown up. He still acts like a baby sometimes, anyways!

ImmortalSynn
Aug. 30, 2009, 11:19 PM
My 6 year old probably COULD do one of these classes but I think it's better to hold off until he's a real grown up.
What do you have him at now?

Alterrain
Aug. 30, 2009, 11:30 PM
the 6 year old classes here in the US are 1.30m

which is 4'3" (actually it's 4'2.650918635170605" if you are a giant math loser like me).

National standard GP's are not that much bigger. (in theory, 2 verticles have to be 4'11, but the rest can be 4'9, but that's only in theory)

I think if doing a GP did not exclude a 6 year old from showing in the finals we would see a lot more competing at that level.

ImmortalSynn
Aug. 31, 2009, 02:01 PM
I think if doing a GP did not exclude a 6 year old from showing in the finals
which finals?

klmck63
Aug. 31, 2009, 02:11 PM
What do you have him at now?

We finished the season at 3'9" (1.15m). Mind you, I'm a junior and not a pro and if I had thought to show him at that height I certainly wouldn't have been the one riding him ;) He's talented and scopey and his brain is probably at the right stage to show at that level but I don't know if his body is ready yet. I really want him to last for as long as possible.

wanderlust
Aug. 31, 2009, 03:18 PM
Immortal, would you happen to have the video of Damian/Lili's winning rounds?

ImmortalSynn
Aug. 31, 2009, 03:26 PM
Immortal, would you happen to have the video of Damian/Lili's winning rounds?
I do. I don't think that one would be fitting for a standalone, though.

I do however plan on making a video tribute to all of the great Piñon horses (Sullivan, Patriot, Muldoon, Lili, Katja, and of course... Finnegan), so it's definitely going to be included in that one.

Look out for it ;)

RyuEquestrian
Aug. 31, 2009, 03:51 PM
We finished the season at 3'9" (1.15m). Mind you, I'm a junior and not a pro and if I had thought to show him at that height I certainly wouldn't have been the one riding him ;) He's talented and scopey and his brain is probably at the right stage to show at that level but I don't know if his body is ready yet. I really want him to last for as long as possible.

Good for you! I too have a young jumper mare, 5 year old, that qualified for the finals, but I decided that rather go this year, we'll focus on the 6 year olds. She comfortably schooling the height at home, but I wanted to give her some more time to develop her flatwork and gymnastics before tackling the full 1.20m courses, especially since she is a late July 30th baby. I think it comes down to the individual horse. I use the European standard to follow with my young horses, but obviously, I will take into consideration each horses' individual maturation rate both mentally and physically.

Alterrain
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:11 PM
which finals?

sorry! YJC

ImmortalSynn
Sep. 2, 2009, 09:56 PM
sorry! YJC
Ah, I see. I didn't even know there were age restrictions on mounts in that.

klmck63
Sep. 2, 2009, 10:44 PM
Good for you! I too have a young jumper mare, 5 year old, that qualified for the finals, but I decided that rather go this year, we'll focus on the 6 year olds. She comfortably schooling the height at home, but I wanted to give her some more time to develop her flatwork and gymnastics before tackling the full 1.20m courses, especially since she is a late July 30th baby. I think it comes down to the individual horse. I use the European standard to follow with my young horses, but obviously, I will take into consideration each horses' individual maturation rate both mentally and physically.

:yes: Good for you too! :) Horses are individuals, just like humans and I think sometimes we forget that. Not EVERY horse will work in EVERY program, no matter how tried and true that program is.

My horse just seems to have been a late bloomer. When the breeder pulled in all the 3 year olds in my horse's year to get them started he put my horse back out for another six months. He still looked like a baby, not a horse ready to start work. He's PHYSICALLY mature now (at least I HOPE so, he's getting too big :lol:) but I don't think his 'little boy brain' could keep up showing whole courses at that height. We school it occasionally (we even came second in a six bar class at a schooling show) but the technical aspect of a whole course at that height might blow his mind!

PNWjumper
Sep. 3, 2009, 11:07 AM
Ah, I see. I didn't even know there were age restrictions on mounts in that.

Just to clarify....

The YJC are the classes that are run on the age of the horse (4yo classes, 5yo classes, 6yo classes, 7yo classes). Maybe you were thinking of the Young Riders/NAJYRC which is based on the age of the rider? There's no age restriction on mounts for that.

I agree that the YJC championships delay some younger horses that could be doing the GPs.

ImmortalSynn
Sep. 3, 2009, 11:19 AM
Maybe you were thinking of the Young Riders/NAJYRC which is based on the age of the rider? There's no age restriction on mounts for that.
D'oh!

You're right, I was... hence the confusion! :D

JB
Sep. 3, 2009, 11:29 AM
Wow, scary actually, all these young horses jumping so big (and yes, I count 4' as BIG for a young horse).

Considering the back and hock growth plates don't close until around age 5, think of all the pounding on those immature joints in order to be jumping these heights by the age of 5,6,7.

klmck63
Sep. 3, 2009, 01:18 PM
Wow, scary actually, all these young horses jumping so big (and yes, I count 4' as BIG for a young horse).

Considering the back and hock growth plates don't close until around age 5, think of all the pounding on those immature joints in order to be jumping these heights by the age of 5,6,7.

My thoughts exactly which is why we're waiting it out until my young boy is ready. My old retired mare has very bad arthritis and some pretty creaky hocks. She showed at from 4' to 4'6 from age 5-10, before she was imported. I hope my new horse will be in a bit better shape than she is by the time he's 20.

Some horses can take it, some can't. My mare couldn't, in the long run and I'd rather not find out the hard way whether or not my gelding can!