PDA

View Full Version : US Federation Dressage Director Quits

ridgeback
Aug. 29, 2009, 02:53 PM
WINDSOR, England, Aug. 29–Gil Merrick, who had been the U.S. Equestrian Federation’s official most involved in the selection of a new American dressage chef d’equipe, has resigned from the organization.

Merrick was assistant executive director of Sport Programs and headed up the USEF’s High Performance Dressage program based at USEF headquarters in Lexington, Kentucky.

The resignation takes effect in two weeks.

At the same time, pressure is being applied by numerous riders for Anne Gribbons to remain as an “O” judge–the highest level of judges of which there are only four in the United States–and not to pursue contract negotiations with the USEF to fill the chef d’equipe’s position.

Entire story...http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=3095

siegi b.
Aug. 29, 2009, 06:25 PM
I think this report is somewhat tainted...... Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't get rid of that feeling...... Yooohoo, Robert!!!! Are you out there working your magic???? :) :)

snoopy
Aug. 29, 2009, 06:34 PM
http://dressagedaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4451:gil-merrick-usef-assistant-executive-director-sport-programs-resigns&catid=221:august-2009

DownYonder
Aug. 31, 2009, 12:58 PM
I think this report is somewhat tainted...... Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't get rid of that feeling...... Yooohoo, Robert!!!! Are you out there working your magic???? :) :)

Maybe Robert will be the new Director for Dressage. :lol:

Methinks, however, there is more to this story than has been released to the press. Whatever the facts, I wish Merrick well in his future endeavors.

torontodressage
Aug. 31, 2009, 01:24 PM

Not only tainted (whatever that means) but old news :yes:

ridgeback
Aug. 31, 2009, 01:43 PM
Not only tainted (whatever that means) but old news :yes:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Theo you just exposed yourself someone from Toronto would know what tainted means:D...Hardly old news.

Wonder who will take Gil's spot.

Plantagenet
Aug. 31, 2009, 01:57 PM
I don't know why Gil resigned, but I will miss him.

He has been a steady, calming voice in a sea of seemingly neverending chaos. He could tell you things you didn't want to hear in a manner that was fair and thoughtful. IMO it's a great loss for the USEF.

He will be very hard to replace.

vineyridge
Aug. 31, 2009, 01:58 PM
Sorry if I'm intruding. :)

Unless I'm misremembering, there was quite a bit of hullabaloo when he was appointed in the first place. He was an almost total unknown, had few credentials, and very little to indicate that he would make a good cat herder.

Without a whipping boy for all the egos to pound on, things will likely get much worse before they get much better. JMHO, from an organizational standpoint only.

Equibrit
Aug. 31, 2009, 02:03 PM
Gil Merrick may have resigned but some of that article is fiction. Braddick is the only person to have appointed Thompson so far.

J-Lu
Aug. 31, 2009, 02:16 PM
Gil has very good credentials from the business world that he very adeptly and kindly applied to the sport of dressage. We actually had a discussion about this a couple of months ago. There's really nothing sinister about his resignation.

ridgeback
Aug. 31, 2009, 02:27 PM
Gil Merrick may have resigned but some of that article is fiction. Braddick is the only person to have appointed Thompson so far.

Oh I think he had his sources when it came to Thompson and other things. I'm sure Gil will be missed.. Good for him to get out:)

Peace
Sep. 1, 2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks for posting this any news on his replacement? I think this just happened didn't it? This isn't old news.

DownYonder
Sep. 3, 2009, 06:05 AM
Without a whipping boy for all the egos to pound on, things will likely get much worse before they get much better.

And God knows, there are certainly plenty of BIG egos in the top ranks of our dressage community. :lol:

There's really nothing sinister about his resignation.

Maybe not, but the timing of it is certainly interesting, coming so very soon after the fiasco regarding the selection process of the new chef d'equipe. As Director of Dressage, he had to be smack in the middle of it, and he either stepped on the wrong toes and was forced out, or he got disgusted by the way the selection was handled. OTOH, maybe he just got tired of trying to keep all the prima donnas happy. ;)

slc2
Sep. 3, 2009, 07:16 AM
Perhaps people tend to overemphasize the situation. EVERY organization has problems and jerks running around in it. EVERY organization is a seething pit of degradation and egoes, no matter where you go or what they make or do, EVERY organization has some fascinating equivalent of Jack the Ripper, Joe the Used Car Dealer and Bernie Madoff bouncing off the walls. EVERY job has frustrations. And there is always someone out there waving a few more bucks under your nose.:D

That organization is not unique. I've been slammed up against walls in restrooms by 'personalities' in organizations. Work sucks, people, when someone's little throne is threatened they get nasty. There is always at least one if not many more, completely embarrassing, unprofessional ASS in every organization.

Get realistic! Organizations suck and so do businesses! And you can stand just about anything for money if you change the scenery occasionally....the average tenure at a job like that is probably about 18 months. If someone lasts longer than that, give them a round of applause.

Hopefully that mess looks good somehow on a resume, at least you usually get paid, and there is at least trout fishing on weekends.