PDA

View Full Version : Saddle ideas for Andalusian... please!

Merche2
Aug. 29, 2009, 08:27 AM
Ok, I know we are all sick of saddle threads but...does anyone have a horse like this?

High withers (for an Andalusian) straight back and big barrel (she is a tank!). I am relatively short and I am riding on a Custom Advantage SP model and I feel like it puts me in chair seat. I know part of the problem is the saddle, part of it is my mare's big barrel and unfortunately, part of the problem is me. Any suggestions of what saddles to try?

thanks!

paintjumper
Aug. 29, 2009, 11:02 AM
I have just bought a Custom saddlery saddle here in Ga and they are THE MOST ACCOMMODATING folks I have ever worked with....... and you are half way there already having one of their saddles. They will work with you to make a saddle that fits you both and stay there till you get it right. I was not crazy about the Advantage either, I like the Wolfgang Solo and the Icon Flight the best. Find your dealer rep and they will come to your barn with all the saddles they make and leave the one you like and will even swap saddles out with you for you to try the various ones they have. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. No pressure to pick a saddle, no hurry to make you buy one. The saddles are well made and the customer service is above the top, at least here in Ga.

Elegante E
Aug. 29, 2009, 03:15 PM
I have a mare just like that, PRE. I ride her in a Passier GG with the freedom panels. This is more for a taller rider though and there isn't much support, so it's all up to you. They do have other models which might work better for your body type so you could email Passier and ask.

That said, riding a wide load will always make one's legs hang differently, especially if you have long thighs. I always feel as if my leg doesn't drape properly on this mare but during a Walter Zettle clinic a few years ago, Walter actually complimented me on my long draping legs. So be do remind yourself of that. Rounder horses don't let the leg drape as much especially if you are smaller, narrower hips. You may need a saddle that sits higher, more away from the horse, to help you there.

So, does your current saddle sit properly on your horse? If it isn't balanced well, you won't balance as well. So getting it fitted may make a difference.

I sat in a Custom Saddlery Coronado a month ago and it helped my leg drape more easily than my passier. It also sat quite well on my smaller Andi mare (she's a stockier type without the big wither). I adored how it sat on her wide, flat back. Much better than my Passier. Might be worth considering.

Hope this helps.

PiaffeDreams
Aug. 29, 2009, 05:06 PM
I have a couple spanish horses - one very much like you describe the other a little less prominent wither, but a lot of shoulder and width there. They go in the Wolfgang Solo which they love....as do I. :-)

Interestingly, the dam of one of these horses also goes in a Wolfgang Solo and I know of a couple other riders of Spanish horses who ride in the same.

horsegalriding
Aug. 29, 2009, 05:07 PM
I have a PRE stallion with a wide round barrel. I ride him in a Schleese Infinity. In order for your leg to drape, you need a narrow twist that sits somewhat up off the horse's back. This gives the inner thigh a place to be. It may feel strange at first if you have been used to a wider twist that sits closer to the back, but it will make all the difference. Schleese is in my area 3-4 times a year, so the saddle always fits perfectly.

Lusoluv
Aug. 29, 2009, 05:42 PM
I had a Duett Fidelio for my 36cm PRE tank. He had average withers but a flat back. For about $1700, the Duetts (many models to choose from) are great and they'll send you 2-3 models to try if you wish.

joiedevie99
Aug. 29, 2009, 05:51 PM
The PRE and Lusitano tanks at my barn go in either Custom Saddlery or Trilogy- both of which I find very comfortable- but you do have to watch how wide the twists can get on the wider trees. They are fine for some people, but not everyone.

Fjordling
Aug. 30, 2009, 01:00 AM
my Irish Draught (same body type) fits nicely in an OLD Prestige saddle (37 cm ) I picked up on ebay for a song. I am 5 feet tall and it's not horrible long for me either

Equibrit
Aug. 30, 2009, 03:13 PM
Ever considered a Spanish saddle - they generally come in a bigger selection of sizes; http://iberianconnection.com/saddles/page6.html

NCSue
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:22 AM
My Iberian had a curvier back but it was still fairly short. He liked a Prestige. Fit his very wide shoulders. He had high withers. Forward girth channel.

dressagediosa
Aug. 31, 2009, 09:54 AM
Where are you located? We are having a saddle fit clinic and consultations with Colleen Meyer of Advanced Saddle Fit (http://www.advancedsaddlefit.com) at my farm in Northern VA. There's an ad for it in the events section of the BB, or you can read more on our website at www.spriesersporthorse.com. Colleen has worked with all shapes and sizes, including my mom's very oddly-shaped Andalusian stallion, to great results.

HollysHobbies
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:03 AM
I had an Andi on trial--super high shark withers. I was stunned when the saddle that fit her best was a Luc Childeric, although it doesn't sound like she is quite as round as yours. If it would help, I'll send you a photo of her and you can compare.