PDA

View Full Version : New to forum - saying hi

leilani
Aug. 29, 2009, 03:49 AM
Hi to all here.

Thought it was about time I said hi - been a long time lurker :)

I have been a riding instructor for a long time and have several young horses at the moment.

My daughter is an eventer who is now doing some dressage as we don't have a float at the moment.

Lived in australia for 8 years now and have just been granted permanent residency - yay :D

The wealth of expertise and knowledge available on here is what keeps me coming back and I would appreciate your thoughts on our new dressage prospect.

He is a Winterkeoning grandson and and australilan warmblood. This was her 1st time out on him and she had a ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cFyPX6PV0c

I'm sure you will all be nice :):):):) - we thought she did very well. She has just turned 14 - the horse is 16'2 and a gentlemen !!

I look forward to be on here as much as possible :winkgrin:

Leilani

egontoast
Aug. 29, 2009, 07:53 AM
Only watched half the video because of other duties!

Lovely horse and nice rider.

Welcome to the board

JRG
Aug. 29, 2009, 08:37 AM
Welcome, and congratulations!

Nanerpus
Aug. 29, 2009, 08:44 AM
I was lucky enough two years ago to win the first Animal Planet sweepstakes for a cross-country horseback riding trip, and it was for Australia! I love it there!!!!!!! We went to Sydney but the riding started in Queensland, and on to Noosa, Kilkivan, and beyond. What an amazing place with lovely people. We rode with Alex Watson (http://www.equathon.com/Pick-your-ride/portalid/0/) the olympic rider. Have you heard of him?

Anyways, sorry I got off tangent but I love Australia:D:D

The video is very nice, lovely pair!

whicker
Aug. 29, 2009, 10:14 AM
What a lovely ride! I am impressed with the training and softness of both of them! The balance of both was terrific, the poll was in the right place, she had forward beautifully. Great halt! I can see lots of 10's in their future on that movement.

Now, how about telling us more about them? Then we can all "adopt" them as our own team to cheer on! Also tell us about the tail, is it braided? Sometime ago, one of the US event team riders always showed with a braided tail. It was one of his signatures. Also, I would love to see a close-up of the browband. It looks quite interesting and good on your horse. How about a name for your horse?

Where are you from? You mention just getting permenent residency. The US is so hard to get through the immigration morass. Where in Australia are you? What does it look like?

leilani
Aug. 29, 2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

In answer to some of your questions whicker, we are orginally from the UK - my husband holds dual nationality basically he is a uk citizen and also a citizen of America so if we ever wanted to live in the US we could do that as well.

My daughter has been riding since before she could walk due to my time as an instructor. The only way I could get to ride when she was a baby was to put her in front of me on the horse.

She started eventing at age 10 and a half on her 1st horse and has not really looked back since.

We have had TB's since coming to australia and now with this new horse being a warmblood she is having to challenge herself as he is a different ride to the TB'S.

We have had him for about 1 month now and we are aiming for his 1st eventing start towards the end of November.

Most people over here will braid tails for dressage comps esp at the lower levels.

I will see if I can get you a close up of the browband - had it specially made for a warmblood that I had for a while and it seems to suit him. His name Zac and he is schooled to elementary.

Anyway probably gone on a bit - will have to go now as it's 5.30 in the morning and we have gale force winds in Sydney at the moment and we are getting lots of trees and big branches coming down and I have to check the horses :eek:

Invite
Aug. 29, 2009, 04:19 PM
Welcome! I hope you will join in and share your expertise on the different threads :)

whicker
Aug. 30, 2009, 09:51 AM
I hope you got through the winds ok.

I am not familar with "elementary" What is in it? Zac looks comfortable in the test you showed, not like a first test newbie.

slight
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:26 PM
Welcome :)

I think your daughter and her horse are a great pair. My favorite part of the ride was your daughter's giant smile when she was finished - well deserved!

Happy posting!