PDA

View Full Version : Myler MB01/MB02 bits?

Mallard
Aug. 28, 2009, 09:23 PM
I have been trying a D-ring 4 1/2" MB01 on my little guy.
He loves the mouthpiece....no mad chomping, leaning, pulling or snatching...just nice and calm and steady. Very willing and relaxed.

It certainly seems to fit him...a 5" was way too wide.

However after only 15 minutes, his face gets rubbed raw at the top of the 'D'...the size of a dime.

Has anyone experienced this with these bits?
Is it because there is so much movement?

Would an Eggbut be better?
What about the loose ring?

I have tried a couple of different 'normal' loose rings and he hated all the 'freedom' and movement of them. All he did was chomp and fuss. So I was really surprised at how calm and steady he was in this Myler.
Would the Myler Loosering be 'steadier' /'quieter' in his mouth than a 'regular' loose ring?

HELP!

GallantGesture
Aug. 28, 2009, 11:41 PM
I have not had a D ring rub the way you describe, but I currently have a Myler loose ring for my one horse and I love it *because* there is SO much movement... even more so than a cheapy brand loose ring I have that at first glance looks like a very similar bit. The Myler loose rings seem to have a lot of space where the ring and mouth piece attach, so there is more movement. An eggbutt would have less movement, like the D ring, but without the corner at the top that the D has. Another option, which is currently working really well for my fussy, mouthy filly, is a baucher. It has even less movement than an eggbutt or D because it has a fixed spot where it attaches to the cheek piece so it can't move at all.

Before investing in more bits to experiment with, you might try playing with how your bridle is adjusted since your horse seems happy with the bit you have. Is it possible the bit is too high or too low in his mouth? Or maybe it is hanging unevenly? Is the rub on one side, or on both? Or, could it be a touch small, and maybe he needs a 4.75?

Hobbs
Aug. 29, 2009, 12:07 PM
You need a 4.75!

Ambrey
Aug. 29, 2009, 12:11 PM
The way the Mylers are curved, are they supposed to come out of the mouth more than most snaffles?

I just got an MB-02 to try and it seems like he likes it.

Mallard
Aug. 29, 2009, 01:36 PM
I am going to take it back today and see what else they have.
I don't think the D ring comes in 4 3/4. ...only 5.
And I have only seen the eggbut in 5...that was way too big.

It is rubbing both sides...
Bridle fits fine. Bit is even.
And there is plenty of space on either side...it is not pinching his lips...it is rubbing at the top of the D...up on his face.
We have never had this issue before.
If they have a small size in loose ring I'll bring it home to try.
At least the tack shop is good about exchanges...

Ambrey
Aug. 29, 2009, 01:40 PM
Yes, that's because of how the bit is designed, the Ds can't rotate out, so if it's not wide enough it will rub.

Hobbs
Aug. 29, 2009, 04:13 PM
"I don't think the D ring comes in 4 3/4. ...only 5."

Have you tried the MB02? It comes in 4.75 and I know they have it at Bahrs saddlery.

link (http://www.bahrsaddlery.com/sb-products.asp?productid=1536&category=277)