PDA

View Full Version : AQHA Dressage

xQHDQ
Aug. 28, 2009, 02:57 PM
So I was all excited about showing my QH in dressage when I read what the rules were going to be:

1. Judge will have to be a member of AQHA for points to count.
2. You have to pay an $85 enrollment fee.

Regarding the above:
1. What incentive is there for USEF/USDF judges to joing AQHA? None. How will we know which judges are members? It's hard enough to plan show season based on location/dates without now having to worry about the judge.

2. I don't have to pay an enrollment fee to show at AQHA-sanctioned shows why do I have to pay such a high enrollemnt fee to show dressage? It's just another column in their database. I would be okay with a $35 fee.

I've written a letter to AQHA about it and suggest everyone else do the same. My opinion is either embrace dressage and don't make it highly difficult for us, or don't do it at all.

I would love to hear what others think.

Ltc4h
Aug. 28, 2009, 03:45 PM
I'm right there with you.
The "Versatile" QH, they certainly don't make proving that easy.
I don't know of any judges here in my area that are qualified.
Not sure what the fee is for either, as it is up to the Rider to have all paperwork signed, verified and sent to headquarters.
It seems much easier to get recognition on trail hours than a seriously competitive horse, and there is no recognition for Eventing.

Parrotnutz
Aug. 28, 2009, 04:35 PM
aside from the "extra" 85.00 since I am already a member of AQHA...I guess this is on top? where are they going to get judges to join the AQHA???
I want to do thiese classes but am wondering if any USDF show will have them????

Movin Artfully
Aug. 28, 2009, 05:36 PM
http://americashorsedaily.com/quartersworth/aqha-welcomes-dressage/

Lays out the guidelines.

I guess I don't see the $85 Lifetime Competitor AQHA fee any more offensive than the $85 Lifetime USDF fee.

I agree with concern that I do not know of many USDF judges who are AQHA members. Will show management be able to purchase memberships for them in advance if show exhibitors want their points recognized?

paintjumper
Aug. 28, 2009, 05:41 PM
What are they thinking? A least the APHA will let you get points through their "outside activities" program at dressage shows with dressage judges. All we were required to do was enroll the horse and take the paperwork to the show with us and have the show sec. fill it out and mail it in. At least that is what they used to do when I was showing our APHA stallion Windell. We were able to do that with eventing too. You are not going to have dressage judges getting AQHA cards all over the country, that is just rediculous.

Gloria
Aug. 28, 2009, 05:43 PM
where are they going to get judges to join the AQHA???

I don't think they are trying to get judges to join AQHA. I think they are trying to keep Non-AQHA judges out of juding quarter horses dressages (translate: making sure only quarter horses folks judge quarter horses). That is my take anyway....

oharabear
Aug. 28, 2009, 05:54 PM
I don't think they are trying to get judges to join AQHA. I think they are trying to keep Non-AQHA judges out of juding quarter horses dressages (translate: making sure only quarter horses folks judge quarter horses). That is my take anyway....

I absolutely agree that this may be where they're coming from, but I think the problem is that everyone is wondering what the incentive is for all of our usual, local judges to run off and join AQHA so that local exhibitors currently showing dressage can get their points?

Does anyone know if there are any plans for AQHA to add a dressage division in their breed show format? if someone is trying to get AQHA points I can see that being a viable alternative.... and much less confusing than trying to figure out *which* dressage shows have AQHA-approved judges while planning your show season.

Parrotnutz
Aug. 28, 2009, 06:25 PM

Well if that be true then AQHA dressage is doomed, in my opinion, because how many QH judges really know dressage?
How can u go from judging western pleasure and peanut pushing hunters to dressage?

paintjumper
Aug. 28, 2009, 06:40 PM
It will be too rediculous to be funny.

Parrotnutz
Aug. 28, 2009, 07:25 PM
It will be too rediculous to be funny.

Images of low carried heads trying to do piaffe and passage dances thorough my head :winkgrin:

Now folks I am not making fun of AQHA shows......jsu trying to call a spade a spade...the AQHA stuff and dressage are like comparing apples to oranges.

I would just ionce like to show my appendix QH and not have people say....is she an oldenburg/Tb cross????

It really would be wonderful to get some breed of choice recognitition

KBEquine
Aug. 28, 2009, 08:06 PM
So I was all excited about showing my QH in dressage when I read what the rules were going to be:

1. Judge will have to be a member of AQHA for points to count.
2. You have to pay an $85 enrollment fee.

A couple years ago, like in the 90s, they were proposing that the judges had to be AQHA judges. To me, merely making them be AQHA members is an improvement . . . It's not like joining is prohibitively expensive - Couldn't the show committee tack on the year's membership to what it pays the judge, if it wants to hold the classes?

(And as someone who used to run shows, I get that it's just one more expense. But not as big as others . . .)

Oh. And the $85 enrollment fee. Well, I agree - that's high.

RodeoQueen
Aug. 30, 2009, 07:57 AM
I too, have been excited by the opportunity to earn AQHA points in Dressage. There are questions that surface for me, too, regarding this new program.

In order to earn AQHA points for Dressage, we must show at USDF show - no GMO's . Judges will be USDF rated judges who have an AQHA membership. I think it's GREAT that we must show USDF - this levels the playing field as the local GMO's have a variety of rated/vs non-rated judges.

My question is this: if I plan to attend a USDF show, how will I know that the USDF judge judging my class is an AQHA member? It's nearly impossible!

I don't think it's impossible to have USDF judges join AQHA - the two organizations have worked hard together over the past couple of years to figure out a fair and equitable plan to include AQHA riders.

I'm just confused about how we'll be sure that there's an AQHA member judge at the USDF show we plan to show.

hoopoe
Aug. 30, 2009, 08:35 AM
One of the big members of the AQHA ( Not Lynn Palm, someone else) is going to cover the AQHA fee for all the USEF rated judges, so they are all covered

The horse registration fee is no different from a lot of other breed organizations or even our own USEF / USDF.

The program is not a whole lot different from any other All Breed program. Your horse is being judged as a Dressage horse in a Dressage setting. If the program ever gains enough momentum, like with the Arabs, they might start having Dressage events at the AQHA rated shows. But they will likely still be judged by USEF judges, just as the Arab and Morgan Championships are.

RodeoQueen
Aug. 30, 2009, 09:27 AM
Wow - if what you say is true - this is great! Then we must all bust out the white britches and get a move on - right?

Nojacketrequired
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:33 AM
agree with concern that I do not know of many USDF judges who are AQHA members. Will show management be able to purchase memberships for them in advance if show exhibitors want their points recognized?

What I would suggest is that you print out a membership form, attach a stamped envelope to it with an explanation about the points that you are trying to accumulate, and make sure the judge gets it. Also note that there is NO CHARGE to the judge at this point.

NJR

Movin Artfully
Aug. 31, 2009, 04:16 PM
Just thought I'd share an update:

I contacted AQHA today and spoke with a woman of the show division. She said that USDF will decide which shows will have AQHA recognized "class within a class" starting in 2010.

SO...I promptly sent an email to my Association President/Show Manager and USDF Regional Director about my interest in having AQHA recognized classes in our region. Almost immediately I received an email back from my Regional director saying that she has forwarded on to about 6 people higher up in USDF. Very courteous and professional.

I have several horses I would like to start showing- pending this partnership going through and the classes being available in my area. I would highly recommend...contacting your USDF powers-that-be so that they know we are watching intently :)

jumpingmaya
Aug. 31, 2009, 04:52 PM
Just thought I'd share an update:

I contacted AQHA today and spoke with a woman of the show division. She said that USDF will decide which shows will have AQHA recognized "class within a class" starting in 2010.

SO...I promptly sent an email to my Association President/Show Manager and USDF Regional Director about my interest in having AQHA recognized classes in our region. Almost immediately I received an email back from my Regional director saying that she has forwarded on to about 6 people higher up in USDF. Very courteous and professional.

I have several horses I would like to start showing- pending this partnership going through and the classes being available in my area. I would highly recommend...contacting your USDF powers-that-be so that they know we are watching intently :)

Great info!!! Thank you!
My AQHA mare is only 2 but I really want to make sure that this program stays in place so that it's still around when we are ready to go!
Think it's a great idea :D

mybeau1999
Sep. 1, 2009, 06:22 PM
Could someone give me a short summary of the program?? I'm at work until 9 tonight, and all the websites that came up in google are blocked (don't know why COTH isn't...). Never heard of it but I'm really interested/excited about this now and don't want to wait until 9:30 to read about it;)

Just a how it works/what the awards are type thing would be greaaaat!

LJStarkey
Sep. 1, 2009, 06:58 PM
Here's a link to some information about the program.

http://americashorsedaily.com/quartersworth/aqha-welcomes-dressage/

mybeau1999
Sep. 1, 2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks, but that's blocked :(
I'll just check it out when I get home later on.

xQHDQ
Sep. 3, 2009, 08:16 AM
One of the big members of the AQHA ( Not Lynn Palm, someone else) is going to cover the AQHA fee for all the USEF rated judges, so they are all covered.

If this is true, I can't see it lasting for more than for 2010. Will this person pay for lifetime memberships for EVERY judge in the US (or elsewhere, as we've had international judges at our shows)? I'm assuming the judge will still need to fill out the paperwork, which may dissuade some because of the added work.

The horse registration fee is no different from a lot of other breed organizations or even our own USEF/USDF.

I've already paid my registration fee to AQHA for my horse. It is different than enrolling him in USEF/USDF because he wasn't already registered with them. I wouldn't mind $35 but $85 is too high in my opinion.

I'm also not all that crazy about having a special AQHA class at a USEF/USDF show. I only like to show my horse in 2 classes a day and this would make 3 because I wouldn't want to give up my regular classes. But as something special, it would be nice.