PDA

View Full Version : Tall boot zipper just broke BAD...show this weekend! My only pair :-(

Castlegate
Aug. 26, 2009, 09:31 PM
hubby is out in garage trying to save them if he can...but it doesnt look good. I know from past experience the leather guy will NEVER get these fixed for me in ONE DAY!

What to do??? Wonder if I can get away with black paddocks and half chaps??? I can buy new boots but they will never be rideable by Friday!

Oh, its lower level stuff...HELP!

egontoast
Aug. 26, 2009, 09:42 PM
duct tape

hoopoe
Aug. 26, 2009, 09:44 PM
http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2009/08-DR.pdf

rule book ^

paddocks and half chaps are ok for first and below must match ( black and black or brown and brown no fringe)

you can also wear jods and jod boots.

Castlegate
Aug. 26, 2009, 09:50 PM
WOW....I had no idea....Im riding first so I guess I can do my half chaps if need be...

Fantastic
Aug. 26, 2009, 10:14 PM
Hey Castlegate! I had not one, but TWO pairs of boots with zippers fail at the same show last year! The zippers failed and popped open, and I had to cut the zipper to get them off. Went to HomoDepot to get black duct tape. It worked fabulously! You couldn't tell they were taped while I was on a horse. The sticky residue can be removed with that sticky stuff remover.

I vote for the duct tape as opposed to the half chaps!

crosscreeksh
Aug. 26, 2009, 10:24 PM
I've used black electric tape instead of duct tape. NO ONE noticed!! I now carry a roll in my trailer tack room. Saved MY day!!

quietann
Aug. 26, 2009, 10:37 PM
WOW....I had no idea....Im riding first so I guess I can do my half chaps if need be...

They actually need to be leather, not suede or fake suede...

Castlegate
Aug. 26, 2009, 10:48 PM
so you guys used the duct tape up and down the whole leg of the boot??? Thanks for the heads up on suede...i actually have ariat leather ones but if duct tape will look better....

atr
Aug. 27, 2009, 12:19 AM
Thank you for reminding me why I don't do zippers...

mypaintwattie
Aug. 27, 2009, 01:11 AM
black electric tape- only up at the top if that will be enough to hold, otherwise a few wraps around the boot in different places from top to bottom. It's difficult to see unless someone is right next to you.

Ember
Aug. 27, 2009, 01:29 AM
yup, black duct tape works every time :D

Marydell
Aug. 27, 2009, 06:16 AM
Yes- black duct tape along the calf where the zipper has popped.
This is known as a "Jim Koford" LOL!!!

Maryanna Haymon
www.marydellfarm.com
2007 USEF Breeder of the Year!

Bogey2
Aug. 27, 2009, 06:30 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so you guys used the duct tape up and down the whole leg of the boot???

wrap it around the boot....I have seen black vetwrap used in a pinch as well.

Fantastic
Aug. 27, 2009, 07:10 AM
The zippers on my Konig boots that were installed by Woody's in FL have lasted 10 years on one pair, 9 years on another. They are the heavy duty black plastic zippers. The finer black plastic zippers that came on my custom Konigs only lasted 7 years. Unfortunately, two pairs failed last year (didn't get them repaired because I had a third pair), and the third pair just failed this week. Great! Now all three boots need zippers! I found a local guy that does zippers, but he says he only does metal (yuck). I haven't seen what these zippers look like. Not sure if they are black. Would look stupid if they're not. I need to convince him to do heavy duty black plastic if they're not black. He is only $50. I think Anthony's in San Diego charges $90, but then there is also the shipping. Woody charged $150 plus shipping, but this was about 10 years ago. Anyone know what his current rate is?

Anyway. No, definately don't apply the tape around the entire boot; that wouldn't look very attractive. Like I said, you couldn't even tell when I was on the horse, and it wasn't obvious when I was walking around. This is what I did:

Black duct tape or very wide electrical tape 2" wide cut in 4"-5" sections. Apply the sections horizontally across the zippers. Overlap tape about 1/2" all the way up the entire length of the boot. Hidden. Clean. No one knew!

dilligaff2
Aug. 27, 2009, 07:53 AM
Another handy hint:

Wear BLACK Trouser socks underneath. Any gaps will be invisible.

Maude
Aug. 27, 2009, 07:58 AM
Had a zipper break as I was putting my boots on to warm up for my first recognized PSG. Luckily, a fellow competitor had duct tape. It was silver, but did the job (thanks, papony). After that, I sent the boots to Woody's in Florida and had plactic ones installed. Never had another problem in the last 6 years.

Bogey2
Aug. 27, 2009, 11:02 AM
find a cobbler who handles the state police boots....they carry the zipper that "Fantastic" mentions in her post.

Puddin Pie
Aug. 27, 2009, 07:28 PM
Castlegate-when do you leave and what size do you need? I have some size 9 Mountain Horse, W with zippers and some size 9 "service brand" without zippers. I could meet you half way if necessary!

Castlegate
Aug. 27, 2009, 08:47 PM
Hey guys, I am all set! Thanks for the help (Carol, thanks for the offer!) Took boot to the boot guy this am and begged! He did whatever it is they do and now I have a working zipper...I did also go by Home Depot and get a roll of black duct tape JUST IN CASE! Thanks!

CapitolDesign
Aug. 27, 2009, 10:17 PM
Get a C-shaped needle and some heavy thread. If all else fails, you can sew yourself into a broken-zippered boot and then just cut yourself out at the end of the day. The needle just sews through the material between the actual zipper and the leather of your boot, so nothing too serious.

Puddin Pie
Aug. 28, 2009, 08:44 PM
Capital Design-what a great idea and no goey mess to clean off. Julie, where is your boot guy that is local and accepts begging, good to know? Hope the show goes/went well and you survived the storms Friday PM.

Kaluna
Aug. 30, 2009, 11:49 PM
Zippers only seem to break at the most inopportune time. ONLY. They never seem to break after the show now do they.

I don't do zippers anymore for this very reason. :lol:

AndalusianMom
Aug. 31, 2009, 05:26 PM
Yessir, I had this happen to me my first day in Spain looking at horses. All I could come up with was vet wrap--RED, of course! The rest of the week I'm sure everyone was wondering what the hell was up with that wacko American woman with the red stripe around her boot! :winkgrin: