PDA

View Full Version : Rider at Del Park needs thoughts and prayers

doublete
Aug. 25, 2009, 10:39 PM
A good friend of mine that has ridden quite a few races for me, even though only winning one (beaten at the wire on several though) went down in the 5th race yesterday.
Eugene Olmo clipped heels with the eventual winner and the horse somersaulted on top of him. He was crushed and remains in a coma. (hospital induced). Every bone in his face was crushed, it is possible they won't save his right eye. Also at this time he has internal bleeding that they cannot find the cause of.

Please pray for him and keep him in your thoughts.

Laurierace
Aug. 25, 2009, 11:04 PM
Ouch. Jingling for a complete recovery. Is he related to Christian Olmo?

spooky01
Aug. 26, 2009, 10:08 AM
Many thoughts, prayers in jingles coming to him and his family and friends from Mass

elsbet
Aug. 26, 2009, 12:17 PM
Jingles sent his way...... Ouch is right!

Equilibrium
Aug. 26, 2009, 12:21 PM
Oh my, many jingles coming his way.

Terri

foundationmare
Aug. 26, 2009, 12:22 PM
Hope he makes it. Jockeys are the bravest (or craziest) people in the world!

caffeinated
Aug. 26, 2009, 12:23 PM
That's awful. Best wishes for his recovery, and hugs to his friends and family (and you!)

Muleskick
Aug. 26, 2009, 02:35 PM
Ouch. Jingling for a complete recovery. Is he related to Christian Olmo?

Is he the same person? Christian Olmo JR. rode here. Our thoughts and prayers are with him.

ivy62
Aug. 26, 2009, 02:53 PM
Jingles form NY OUCH!

jengersnap
Aug. 26, 2009, 02:55 PM
Lots of jingles. :( He use to ride for hubby.

doublete
Aug. 26, 2009, 06:46 PM
Yup, Christian Olmo is his younger brother.

Eugene seems to be doing well today. He went in for surgery earlier today and they repaired the artery that was causing the bleeding (nicked by a fractured piece of his neck apparently). They have scheduled his facial reconstruction for Friday at 1. His brother said that they allowed him to come out of the coma for a bit last night on his own and he was speaking, but has apparently forgotten english!

kookicat
Aug. 26, 2009, 06:58 PM
Ouch! Sending jingles.

Acertainsmile
Aug. 26, 2009, 08:38 PM
Prayers sent for him, as well as Christian.

maxxtrot
Aug. 27, 2009, 09:18 PM
prayers and jingles from florida

Timex
Aug. 28, 2009, 12:08 AM
Jingles from NY!

YoTambien
Aug. 28, 2009, 02:05 PM
Thoughts and prayers for Eugene Olmo. Always sad to hear of injuries like this.

doublete
Sep. 10, 2009, 11:12 PM
Wanted to post a quick update:
The surgery on his face did go well. He is up and moving around now, speaking though his jaw is wired and I can't understand him well personally, but others can, and apparently his spanish is quite good.
His memory on the other hand is not. He is very confused, and when his brother tells him something one day, he does not remember it the next. His girlfriend goes to visit him every day, yet he doesn't remember the next day that she has been by his side every day since going into the hospital.

They did move him to a rehab center, and they will begin working on his memory. It is all in there, he is just having a hard time accessing it.

Laurierace
Sep. 11, 2009, 07:43 AM
Well at least he is still in there. Jingling for a complete recovery.

mortebella
Sep. 11, 2009, 08:05 AM
Many, many jingles. These reports are sounding good in light of the initial news. My uncle worked for years at Delaware Park, and is probably the reason I *DIDN'T* become a jockey. It caused some hard feelings for years. now every time I hear something like this all I can think is god bless the old man - he sure knew a hell of a lot more than I did at 14. My prayers are with Eugene and his family.