PDA

View Full Version : Dressage Basic Training - Recommendation?

gooselover
Aug. 25, 2009, 04:14 PM
What book or video would you recommend for starting out with basic dressage training on an OTTB? Author?

Thank you so much!

meupatdoes
Aug. 25, 2009, 04:40 PM
What book or video would you recommend for starting out with basic dressage training on an OTTB? Author?

Thank you so much!

I would stay away from any books or articles that somehow treat ottbs as "different" or "special" from other horses. In my experience, they DO NOT have special needs (except for perhaps a carefully monitored diet change), but the persistant perception that they have special needs inevitably turns them into special needs cases that spend six weeks on the longe line before anyone even gets on.

Find a book that has a training philosophy you like for any dressage horse, and use that.

I personally like Walter Zettl's "Dressage in Harmony."

joiedevie99
Aug. 25, 2009, 04:43 PM
I think Lessons with Lendon is really helpful in the beginning.

gooselover
Aug. 25, 2009, 05:08 PM
I should mention that I have been riding, etc. etc. them for over a year now. I have not shown - yet, and they are coming along beautifully. I do have a dressage instructor coming to my home for lessons - I have already had one. She is wonderful!

However, I thought maybe a book or DVD would help me along and understand more. I have ridden hunters/jumpers all my life and did dabble in lower level eventing, thus my dressage knowledge - will is in the beginner stages.

What about the Jane Savoie books?

johnnysauntie
Aug. 25, 2009, 05:14 PM
The "Build a Better Athlete" workbook by Leslie Webb.

Really helpful guide to the basics, with exercises and illustrations that even a numbskull (ahem, such as myself) can comprehend.

gooselover
Aug. 25, 2009, 06:21 PM
Just checked about the Build a Better Athlete - I'm buying it now!!! Looks perfect for what I was wanting! Thank you Johnnysauntie!

HollysHobbies
Aug. 27, 2009, 12:17 PM
Another vote for Lendon Grey's Lessons with Lendon. And a subscription to Dressage Today. There's also a manual on retraining the OTTB--you might check that out. Finally, 101 Dressage Exercises is great to leave at the barn and right before you get on, pick some exercises to work on. Keeps a smart TB busy!