PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Question

Elfe
Aug. 25, 2009, 02:18 PM
How much would you expect to pay for a 10 year old, 15.2, second level, registered mare ?
I am not selling one !!!!
Thanks !

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 25, 2009, 02:30 PM
Registered what? What part of the country?

Eclectic Horseman
Aug. 25, 2009, 02:32 PM
Any show experience? What kind of scores?

Any soundness issues?

Elfe
Aug. 25, 2009, 02:43 PM
Registered what? What part of the country?
I don't want to go into too many details, so as to not violate COTH policy.
She is a registered warmblood, does not look like she has been inspected, mountain time zone.

Elfe
Aug. 25, 2009, 02:45 PM
Any show experience? What kind of scores?

Any soundness issues?

Shown in hand, don't know the scores.
No soundness issues disclosed.

WWYD?
Aug. 25, 2009, 03:09 PM
To buy a horse, I would really need to feel that I made a connection.
To get the ball rolling here, based on your decription, I would pay less than 10K. I'm a tight wad though.

Elegante E
Aug. 25, 2009, 03:12 PM
Anywhere from $10,000 to $25,000. If the mare is super nice, maybe more. With some of the crazy pricing I've seen, the horse could be listed higher but the height will discount the amount. Pure Hanoverians will be on the higher end. Anything having TB in the first generation will be on the lower end, even if papered WB. If the horse hasn't been shown 2nd level, then it's not a 2nd level horse so that lowers the price. If it's been shown and scored under 60% then would pay much over $10k. If shown well, over 65% at Second, then would consider paying $20k+.

Course,t hat's just me.

Eclectic Horseman
Aug. 25, 2009, 03:29 PM
Materiale class (in hand) scores are not too relevant to the price of a riding horse, although it is nice to have the fall back of a breeding career, it doesn't add much value.

Was she imported or bred in the USA? You say warmblood, but there is a big difference between some old euro and newer american registries. Is she ISR or AWB? If so, I would value her at under 10k.

Sounds like she has no ridden show scores. Has she been bred? That may answer the question of why she is only doing 2nd level work at 10, but it also raises soundness questions.

So far, given her gender, height and lack of second level show scores, I'm gonna say $7,500.00. Less if there are soundness issues. More if she has been in professional training with a recognized trainer.

Elfe
Aug. 25, 2009, 04:02 PM
Materiale class (in hand) scores are not too relevant to the price of a riding horse, although it is nice to have the fall back of a breeding career, it doesn't add much value.

Was she imported or bred in the USA? You say warmblood, but there is a big difference between some old euro and newer american registries. Is she ISR or AWB? If so, I would value her at under 10k.

Sounds like she has no ridden show scores. Has she been bred? That may answer the question of why she is only doing 2nd level work at 10, but it also raises soundness questions.

So far, given her gender, height and lack of second level show scores, I'm gonna say $7,500.00. Less if there are soundness issues. More if she has been in professional training with a recognized trainer.

Bred in the USA. Not ISR or AWB, registry is daughter of European one and licensed by it .
Not been bred.
Thanks for your input, prices now days are all over the place, hard to figure things out.

Alpha Mare
Aug. 25, 2009, 04:44 PM
Elfe, it would really help if she had been to any show at Second and had a few scores to her credit. There are some who will say 'Second Level' for a horse that can do the lateral movements, which may be done in a hunter-style ride rather than in collected work. If you have seen her yourself then you can be the judge. Having recent show scores would be the best substantiation of her capability.

Eclectic Horseman
Aug. 26, 2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks for your input, prices now days are all over the place, hard to figure things out.

Training being equal, height is the biggest factor after breed and age. Subtract at least $10,000 for anything under 16 hands in my experience.

Oakstable
Aug. 26, 2009, 09:29 AM
Wow, I have a cute Pablo gelding for sale for $9500. He's 15.1 plus. So subtracting $10K, he is a minus $500.

Eclectic Horseman
Aug. 26, 2009, 09:34 AM
Wow, I have a cute Pablo gelding for sale for $9500. He's 15.1 plus. So subtracting $10K, he is a minus $500.

To the contrary, add 3 inches and he would be worth $20K!!! ;) (Depending on age, of course.)

Oakstable
Aug. 26, 2009, 10:20 AM
Since he will be four in late September, I don't think he will grow another 3 inches.

He could grow another inch, tho.

caddym
Aug. 26, 2009, 10:40 AM
i don't think she has much value as a riding horse (10yo, no USDF show experience and only 2nd level).

if she is a reasonable mover, has no soundness issues, and is easy enough for an amateur, i'd say 5k-ish

she'd be worth more if she had good clean changes and a few 3rd level scores in the mid-60's

FriesianX
Aug. 26, 2009, 11:12 AM

I'll take him for minus $500 :lol: I was just thinking the same thing - I have a 15.3 hand greenie, nice mover, but under 16 hands, asking $7,500, does that mean I have to PAY someone to take her now?:confused:

For a mare with no show experience, I agree with those who say she isn't a Second level mare. And also dont' think "in hand" shows really count for much, except at least you know she's been out and about. If you click well with the mare, she has three decent gaits, and you can perform the 2nd level movements well enough to feel like they are "show worthy", I'd say she is fairly priced at $10,000 give or take a couple thousand either direction (assuming she can pass a PPE). If she is a fancy mover - ie, someone who knows the show scene watches her and says she can score high 60s, low 70s, you can probably up the price (how much? Depends on how fancy she is!).

I'd be a bit concerned that she is ten years old with NO show experience.

WWYD?
Aug. 27, 2009, 12:34 AM
To find out the approximate value of a horse, it never hurts to check the sold horses on www.dreamhorse.com

Since I enjoy doing this type of search...

For a mare, with similar skills to the OPs
height range 15.1 to 15.3H
age range 7-12 years
and a registered warmblood

The mares sold for a range from 5-11K. The average was about 7.5K.

It seemed like those horses under 16H were undervalued. Apparently, if you are willing to go under 16H, then there are plenty of bargains to be had.

Elfe
Aug. 27, 2009, 03:42 AM
To find out the approximate value of a horse, it never hurts to check the sold horses on www.dreamhorse.com

Since I enjoy doing this type of search...

For a mare, with similar skills to the OPs
height range 15.1 to 15.3H
age range 7-12 years
and a registered warmblood

The mares sold for a range from 5-11K. The average was about 7.5K.

It seemed like those horses under 16H were undervalued. Apparently, if you are willing to go under 16H, then there are plenty of bargains to be had.

Thanks !!! That was a great idea. As it is, she is asking a lot more for the mare and even though she is a very nice mover I don't think she could show second level now.

Eclectic Horseman
Aug. 27, 2009, 08:57 AM
WWYD? Looks like I guessed the right price. ;)

But what a great tool. I never thought of using dreamhorse.com to do that. It is almost like a "blue book" value, and it could be quite useful in price negotiations! :yes: If a prospective purchaser were to say to the seller who has overpriced the horse, "Look, I did my homework and it seems that horses like the one that you are selling are going for a between $__ and $__" that could be very helpful in initiating discussion. Thanks.