PDA

View Full Version : Rock Hard Ten

cindylouwho
Aug. 24, 2009, 05:52 PM
I was hacking my event mare on a local TB farm yesterday. I always like to peak at their horses as some day they might be my next eventer:) They had an amazing 2 year old by Rock Hard Ten. He was so handsome, that I went back for a second look. He was in a paddock and did not trot, so I have no thoughts on his movement. Do all of the Rock Hard Ten babies look that amazing?? Any thoughts on their movement or personalities? Anyone ride one?

Blinkers On
Aug. 24, 2009, 08:37 PM
I have been on a half brother. He's not that impressive.

Absolut Equestrian
Aug. 25, 2009, 08:28 AM
At the Keeneland September yearling sale last year, it seems like every horse I would pick out and peg as a "sporthorse prospect" was a Rock Hard Ten. I have no idea about performance abilities, but they do look pretty nice standing there!

Laurierace
Aug. 25, 2009, 11:36 AM
I haven't seen any of his foals but I have seen him up close and personal and he is awesome. He is also expensive at least for now so I don't see many of his foals ending up as sport horses anytime soon.

kcmel
Aug. 25, 2009, 09:13 PM
I remember him as being breathtakingly handsome as well.

chism
Aug. 25, 2009, 09:41 PM
Rock Hard Ten is just an amazing physical specimen. I wonder what his temperament is like. In a few years when I'm ready for another prospect, I'd love it if some of his get end up at my local track.

chestnutwithchrome
Aug. 25, 2009, 09:43 PM
I am in love with Rock Hard Ten! When he was still racing and would walk out on the track, He looked like a sport horse! His babies are all very obviously stamped by hime as well. I hope some of his offspring get into the sporthorse market!

jennywho
Aug. 26, 2009, 02:58 AM
We had a lovely filly by Rock Hard Ten at the farm last year. Very correct and well balanced, great hip. She was a dark bay with flaxen tail to boot.

Attitude was a whole other story though. Lets just say my vet will NEVER forget her.

Funny story, my SO is horse savy, but not always the most confident. I made a quick trip home for Christmas leaving after feed time Christmas eve and planning to be home late evening on Christmas day. I got a phone call from SO Christmas morning.

"Hi, umm I can't catch Kana (Rock Hard Ten filly - 6 mos old at the time)."

Me - "What do you mean you can't catch Kana isn't she in her stall"

SO sheepishly - "Yeah, I can't catch her." she stayed in her stall that day.

I have only seen pics and on TVG, but she appears to have matured into a very nice filly. So far she hasn't shown much on the track, but only has two starts.

Lady Counselor
Aug. 26, 2009, 09:34 PM
I loved him. Massive animal, all racehorse...sigh..to have a horse like that would be incredible.

jengersnap
Aug. 27, 2009, 09:05 AM
Very pretty boy http://www.lanesend.com/stallions/stallions/rock_hard_ten/index.html

Looks like he has some massive ankles/suspensories going on, but he's certainly built!

Laurierace
Aug. 27, 2009, 10:31 AM
He had massive everything. I got to see him up close and personal after he ran second in the Preakness. His handlers were scared witless and let him do as they pleased. He refused to walk calmly into the wash stall in the test barn so they got special permission to take him outside and bathe him which was good for me as I got to pet him but was stupid on their part. I even have a picture to prove it but I look like I just stepped in a warm pile for some reason so it will stay hidden!
It took everything I had not to demand they give me the shank, I would have got his butt into that wash stall so quick he wouldn't have known what hit him! I recall he switched trainers at some point and did much better with less scared people.

VirginiaBred
Aug. 27, 2009, 10:58 AM
I love him also. I had a time getting past that name at first, but managed...........;)

midkniggit
Aug. 27, 2009, 11:03 AM
I can't comment at all about his offspring/movement, but I love this horse.
I got to take care of him while I was working as a vet tech. And wow...first time I walked in his stall, I just stopped and stared. He has so much presence. He wasn't hard to handle either - very gentlemanly.

caffeinated
Aug. 27, 2009, 11:39 AM
oh Laurie, I'm jealous :)

He's such a cool horse, and I was always really curious about how he would have done out in the sport world, bet we'll see some of his offspring go that route.

I still have my rock hard ten hat too, it's my favorite :)

lesson junkie
Aug. 27, 2009, 11:28 PM
I love him also. I had a time getting past that name at first, but managed...........;)

I fell in love with him a couple of years ago-I think he looks like a sport horse sire too. But, VirginiaBred's right, that name's nasty.

Pronzini
Aug. 27, 2009, 11:36 PM
That name was given by Madeline Paulsen and yes it supposedly referenced the attributes of someone in particular--or so the story goes.

doublete
Aug. 27, 2009, 11:42 PM
There's a rock hard ten 2 y/o in my barn at the track, she was purchased at the 2 y/o in training sale. She's huge, and I'd have to say she's pretty impressive to look at. Haven't watched her train (too busy on my own), but she's a pretty nice mover in the shedrow. Very racy acting now though.

Barnfairy
Aug. 27, 2009, 11:53 PM
I fell in love with him a couple of years ago-I think he looks like a sport horse sire too. But, VirginiaBred's right, that name's nasty.Rock hard "ten", for a horse, ain't saying much. I'll bet A.P. Indy and Kingmambo were rolling on the floor when RHT's nameplate went up on the stall door.

RHT is a monster (17.1). I remember well his temper tantrums, particularly about loading in the gate, that were just as large.

I'm a fan, though, of his sire, Kris S.

VirginiaBred
Aug. 28, 2009, 10:09 AM
Rock hard "ten", for a horse, ain't saying much. I'll bet A.P. Indy and Kingmambo were rolling on the floor when RHT's nameplate went up on the stall door.

:lol:

Laurierace
Aug. 28, 2009, 11:21 AM
His name is a bowling term not a reference to his genitalia.

grayarabs
Aug. 28, 2009, 05:49 PM
Rock Hard Ten fan here as well. Sire Kris S then to Roberto? Also a looker. PQ says Kris S only won $53K racing?
Also love Dynaformer - son of Roberto? IIRC lots of Dynaformer offspring running timber races etc - just love that!!!

DLee
Aug. 28, 2009, 06:26 PM
I just saw a stallion in France that I fell in love with, he looked like he should be galloping the Rolex course, and he reminded me of Rock Hard Ten, who I also love.
His name is Falco, he just totally grabbed me! http://www.pedigreequery.com/falco3

Las Olas
Aug. 28, 2009, 08:02 PM
PQ says Kris S only won $53K racing?

Yes, he won a MDN (5.5f @ HOL), an ALW (1 1/16 @ SA) and the Bradbury S. (1 1/8 miles). At 2 he was 3-2-1-0 and he was 2-1-0-0 at 3 (winning the Bradbury)

Horseforthecourse
Aug. 29, 2009, 04:10 PM
Rock Hard Ten is just an amazing physical specimen. I wonder what his temperament is like. In a few years when I'm ready for another prospect, I'd love it if some of his get end up at my local track.

He was quite the handful and very mean. He liked to bite.

lesson junkie
Aug. 29, 2009, 10:59 PM

I didn't think the subject referred to in the name necessarily belonged to the horse-and thanks Laurierace, maybe I can form a different mental picture when I hear that lovely horse's name.

Mara
Aug. 29, 2009, 11:23 PM
I'm betting his progeny will come down quite a ways pricewise within the next 3-4 years. I hope I'm wrong, because he is indeed an impressive guy. But Kris S. hasn't shown himself to be a sire of sires.

cindylouwho
Aug. 31, 2009, 02:52 PM
I went back out to my local TB farm to borrow a shadow roll and made the suggestion they move the Rock Hard Ten colt from a back paddock to a front one to pretty up the front:) I thought he was a 2 year old in training... but no, he was a yearling just purchased at Saratoga. I put dibs on him, in case he was slow!

PONY751
Aug. 31, 2009, 03:01 PM

Thank goodness for that, because ten isn't saying much for a horse, much less a stallion.:D