PDA

View Full Version : Where do you shop or post saddles for sale?

Rodeo Relish
Aug. 24, 2009, 04:31 PM
Hope this is okay with the mod's!
I just need some input as to what is a trust-worth online site to post quality saddles for sale?..Dressage and Jumping.
Hoping to avoid an eBay experience - seems like it's become a bit sketchy lately...even when trying to be an honest seller!
Of course there is Chronicle. I know Fine-Used-Saddles.com will take them on commission and do the leg-work. Where else if I want to go it alone?
Thanks!

sid
Aug. 24, 2009, 04:41 PM
Oh, now I'm worried about ebay. I just listed 2 saddles there. What problems did you have, if you don't mind me asking?

Gloria
Aug. 24, 2009, 05:32 PM
Yes pray tell. I just sold a Charles Owen helmet at eBay. Did not have any problem myself...

paintlady
Aug. 24, 2009, 06:14 PM
I sold four saddles on eBay (two Albion Original Comforts, one Stubben Wotan and one Tucker endurance) last year without any problems. I actually sold 3 of the 4 for more money that I paid for them originally - even made a profit after subtracting the eBay and PayPal fees.

Other options include tacktrader.com or putting on consignment at your local tack store. However, neither will give you as large an audience as eBay.

onzbit
Aug. 24, 2009, 06:19 PM
I have sold several dressage saddles on www.dressagestar.com I have bought some there too!

buck22
Aug. 24, 2009, 07:54 PM
I've bought & sold several dozen saddles on ebay. Though some people have mis-judged sizes by a half inch or so, I've never had a bad experience, or have found anything grossly misrepresented, and have had some lovely saddles - at excellent prices - pass my way.

sid
Aug. 24, 2009, 11:21 PM
Whew.. thanks. I sold 2 Lauriches, 2 Sprigs and 2 Ortho-flexes on ebay 4 years ago and did not have any problem. They brought in way more than my reserve. So my experience then was good.

Then last year I "sold" one and the high bidder backed out after the sale was final...I didn't report. I probably should have as the reserve was met by another buyer.

I've seen a few threads in the past years or so with bad ebay stories so thought, after my last one "odd" experience to see if this is the norm.

Glad to hear it is not. Thanks.

Rodeo Relish
Aug. 24, 2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks everyone. My goal is not to freak anyone out about eBay...I appreciate the "safeguards" of eBay and PayPal - something you cannot always be guaranteed on a bulletin board - but I'm frustrated with the lack of other options. I've had pleanty of excellent transactions there with items up to a certain value. But I'm more intersted in selling a "big ticket" item without taking a huge loss. (Yes, I realize something is only worth what another is willing to pay.)
The problem I have with eBay is that listing a quality saddle for sale (Black Country) that has been well cared for (I'm anal) seems to draw out the looky-lous who aren't serious. I have tons of questions, answer them all in detail, provide clean,clear, up-close photos and no real bidders. Or, if I set a reserve, inevitably someone bids and bids, gets just over the reserve and then suddenly retracts! UGH!
Isn't there anywhere to advertise to serious shopper who appreciates the value of the product and a potential great buy?
I guess I'm just venting...

Carnelian
Aug. 25, 2009, 11:04 AM
I bought a saddle on eBay and forgot to ask if the saddle had ever had mold on it. Seller cleaned it up and shipped it to me, but the "bloom" returned in the short shipment time. There was also loose stitching and I had specifically asked if all stitching was intact. Saddle went back and money returned. I'm just not a fan of battling recurring mold and the loose stitching was a misrepresentation IMO.

Several friends have had great eBay saddle experiences. You just have to ask a lot of questions.

I purchased a used County Eventer from Pelham Saddlery in New Hampshire, and my Passier dressage saddle from The Horse of Course in Claremore, OK. A friend recently purchased her used Passier from Pelham and was happy with the experience.

The Horse of Course comes to a lot of dressage shows (at least in Region 9). I was able to try out the Passier and have Marty adjust the tree right at the show.

Both have good trial policies.

DianneEJ
Aug. 25, 2009, 01:33 PM
I have sold 4 saddles on Tack Trader with wonderful speed and success. If I place an ad on equine.com, all I get is time-wasting fishers. Always pay extra and post 1 color image and then email potential buyers with additional images if they contact you. Good luck:)

Movin Artfully
Aug. 25, 2009, 07:11 PM
I have some experience. See my signature line :)

Ebay fees have gotten too high to sell :cry: but are still good for buying!

Tacktrader is the BEST :)

I routinely use craigslist as well- but be ready to filter a lot of spam if you post an ad/sort through a lot of fraudulent offers.

Very early, I received 1 counterfeit cashier's check, which got me started calling banks/waiting 10 days for verification for any personal checks/cashier's checks. I caught it prior to shipping and followed up with local PD, who essentially cannot do anything if you catch it too late. Otherwise all great experiences! Would recommend talking with buyer prior to any sale online if you have concerns at all.

buck22
Aug. 26, 2009, 08:28 AM
TI've had pleanty of excellent transactions there with items up to a certain value. But I'm more intersted in selling a "big ticket" item without taking a huge loss. (Yes, I realize something is only worth what another is willing to pay.)
The problem I have with eBay is that listing a quality saddle for sale (Black Country) that has been well cared for (I'm anal) seems to draw out the looky-lous who aren't serious. I have tons of questions, answer them all in detail, provide clean,clear, up-close photos and no real bidders. Or, if I set a reserve, inevitably someone bids and bids, gets just over the reserve and then suddenly retracts! UGH!
Isn't there anywhere to advertise to serious shopper who appreciates the value of the product and a potential great buy?
I guess I'm just venting...
see, up to a certain value is key. Saddle fitting is so important, and so personal, that most people want to deal with a professional when its time to plunk down several grand.

ebay is a great bargain hunting venue. If you know what you want, or are willing to throw the dice, you can get amazing deals.

but ebay is *generally* not a place for serious high end buyers, because there is no service attached to the sale. If I were spending upwards of $2k on a used saddle that retails around $3, I'd want that saddle to come from a source that will guarantee everything is perfect, hold my hand if I have questions, and not quibble if I change my mind.

otoh, saddles tend to be vastly undervalued on ebay imo, so your dollar can go a lot further... if you're willing to take the chance.