PDA

View Full Version : Scribing question...

eponacelt
Aug. 23, 2009, 07:14 PM
Lets say you are scribing for a recognized show, and you see an error (such as posting in a test which does not allow posting) but the judge doesn't see it, or mention it in the score or comments.

What do you do?

Bethe Mounce
Aug. 23, 2009, 07:19 PM
Lets say you are scribing for a recognized show, and you see an error (such as posting in a test which does not allow posting) but the judge doesn't see it, or mention it in the score or comments.

What do you do?

I speak up. I have scribed alot in my day. If I see something, which is rare because usually my head is down, that I know is incorrect, I will say something. Judges are only human as are scribes. I am careful about how I say it and am very casual and offhand in my comments. All riders deserve a fair/equal chance. And it does depend on who the judge is on how I make my comment....I have scribed for just about all of them at one time or another, some you can be upfront with, others discreet and very very polite!

atlatl
Aug. 23, 2009, 07:19 PM
Nothing; the scribe's job is to write down what the judge says.

bossmare18
Aug. 23, 2009, 07:20 PM
I would mention it to the judge in a very nice way, like you are trying to learn about what to do. I have seen tests where the horse went off course, but the judge didn't mark an error or anything. She even had to redirect the horse/rider to get them back on course. Ultimately it is the judges responsiblity to judge, but I would bring it up as a question to the judge. Like, "Since that rider posted the entire first level test, what do we do now?"

oldenmare
Aug. 23, 2009, 07:48 PM
ASK the judge BEFORE the start of classes.

Some judges may permit you to speak up - others may be set against it.

Personally, I never say anything - as the error should not count unless seen by the judge > as this was explained to me the first time I scribed by a S judge at a championship show - I was to be seen, not heard. Not that I had spoken - she had a list of rules she went over before classes began.

EiRide
Aug. 23, 2009, 09:15 PM
The only time I have spoken up about problems is when I have a . . . difficult judge.

Example: First time judging the new (years ago now) Training tests. Had NO IDEA where the horses were supposed to be going, what the movements were and how they were boxed together for scoring, constantly lost. I was frantically muttering "she's off course NOW" or "She's NOT off course! She's fine! Box 5!" and such.

Another very interesting experience I had was with a judge who seemed fairly lost, most of the time. I was scribing a 4th level test and she started asking me was the horse supposed to be doing a medium canter. I started reading what was in the box for that movement and she said "NO NO that will only confuse me, don't read the test, just tell me what the horse is supposed to be doing!" Can we say that was a very, very, very long day? One horse missed a move, went off course, was doing the walking half pirouettes backwards and she is merrily giving me numbers to score while I am mumbling "she's off course, she's off course, she missed the half pass and turned the wrong way at the rail." Finally, she said "oh, she's off course!' when the rider could not figure out just how to get to the next movement. She also did not really know what movements went in which box, so she would give me two scores for one box, then nothing later when there were two boxes, etc. I will also say in spite of this being a very difficult day for me as a scribe, she was a very nice person and she seemed to be very on the ball with what she was observing--she just didn't organize it onto the specific test movements very well.

Quest52
Aug. 23, 2009, 09:15 PM
Yea... whenever I did scribe I kept my mouth shut, unless I knew I had someone like,say... General Burton, who is known to nod off here or there... then I asked in advance what he would like for me to do if I noted something that he "may" miss.

Dressage Art
Aug. 23, 2009, 11:58 PM
It's OK to ask a question if there is time to do so. You can ask if the test calls for a posting trot or sitting trot at that level or at that movement.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 24, 2009, 01:15 PM
and what was General Burton's reply? Something like: "If I nod off, please go ahead and judge the test." ::)

scubed
Aug. 24, 2009, 01:19 PM
I also ask, but will sometimes say, "was that really early or an error" when someone halts at X instead of G or something like that, but it depends on who the judge is. I do think it is worth the 30 second conversation beforehand. On the other hand, as a rider, I have been the beneficiary of a judge missing some of my goof-ups and am just as happy not to have a second set of eyes pointing out mistakes :uhoh:

Dressage Art
Aug. 24, 2009, 01:23 PM
"If I nod off, please go ahead and judge the test." ::)that would be an expected reply from judge(s) who are too drunk to stay focused by 2PM ;)

PS: I scribed for General many times and he was sharp every time. and I scribed for the GP freestyle for him ;)

Foxtrot's
Aug. 24, 2009, 02:19 PM
I'm proud to say I rode a few tests he judged and did not notice any "ZZZZZzzzz's" on the test paper. Also rode one or two judged by Jack LeGeoff and those seemed all in order, too!!! :)

Mallard
Aug. 24, 2009, 08:24 PM
I agree that we are there to be seen and not heard, but I have been known to whisper a quiet "Oops" when I see a rider make a glaring error.
Last weekend this happened twice when horses jogged in the walk...once the judge had his head down and thanked me for noticing.
This past weekend I was video taping a kid's First level test and she cantered on the wrong lead, without correcting it, over 3 movements.
Judge gave her a '7' with the comment 'good'...
Maybe THAT scribe should have uttered a quiet and discreet "oops"....
And we'll never have that judge back again.

jcotton
Aug. 25, 2009, 08:24 AM
I have scribed a lot. On ocassion when my head gets to come up to have a look and if I see a rider is rising when they should be sitting. Depending on the judge, I might make a comment like is that a very bouncy, springy hores or is the rider rising, not sitting.
I have noticed quite a few times it is not worth mentioning.

So sometimes it goes to show that the judges are human, too. And everyone gets a break now & then.

It gets interesting when scribing freestyles, 1st, 2nd & 3rd--was that a half-pass or a poorly done/attempt at a leg-yield. Shoulder-In's, Haunches-In and Renvers are challenging when not knowing what is going next in the freestyle.