PDA

View Full Version : USDF All Breeds question

MelShiloh
Aug. 23, 2009, 06:33 PM
Im not sure if this has been asked and answered already but im having a tough time finding an answer on the USDF website..

My horse is declared for All Breeds and we've met the qualifying criteria for our level. Once you met that criteria, 8 tests etc. etc., how do they calculate in additional tests? For example, i've got 10 tests at this level. Do they take the scores from the 10 tests add them up and divide by 10? Or do they drop the highest and lowest scores?

Sorry if this is a repeat and thanks for any help.

bossmare18
Aug. 23, 2009, 06:53 PM
The best I remember, is that they take a median score, but there is a rule about dropping a score, if you have scores from the same judge. I think that you can have 2 scores from the same judge, but if you have 3 scores, they drop one of them (maybe the last earned on, I can't remeber).

So wright down all your scores in order and wright a line thru the highest and lowest score, then the next highest and lowest score until you get to either one or two scores. If you get one score - that is the score, if there are two scores, it is the average of the two numbers.

I hope that makes sense, I am sure someone else on here can explain it better. I did it last year for the Appaloosa awards, it was the third score from the same judge that kept me from placing, oh well.

goodpony
Aug. 23, 2009, 08:27 PM
They no longer drop a score. The Median is the Middle score. With ten scores they use all scores and average the two middle scores (average of your fifth and sixth scores).

NJRider
Aug. 24, 2009, 08:10 AM
Make sure the breed association is on the USDF list of participating organizations. Just because you are "declared" is not enough- if that organization did not choose to pay the $200 annual fee to the USDF this year, there is no award. I had a horse declared and the very year the breed organization flaked out and skipped "participating" was the year I spent all kinds of $$ showing an earning scores!

MelShiloh
Aug. 24, 2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks everyone. He is declared for All Breeds and APHA is on the list. I checked that before putting in his papers at the start of the year.

I appreciate the replies! :)

FriesianX
Aug. 24, 2009, 10:34 AM
Line your scores up from lowest to highest (no matter HOW many scores you have). Make sure you have 8 scores from at least 4 different shows and judges (assuming you are at 4th level or below, requirements are different at FEI). Then the MIDDLE score becomes your median. If there are two middle scores (i.e. you have an even number of total scores), add the two middle scores and divide by two. That is your median. So one really high or really low score will not skew your median...

Knothead
Aug. 24, 2009, 12:42 PM
Are you showing up in the Preliminary Standings yet? If not and all your scores (at least the 8, 4 from diff judges and shows) are reported to the USDF (do a Horse Score Check), I would email someone at USDF and ask why not. Also check the P.O. and make sure your horse's name is listed on the Eligible List.

FriesianX
Aug. 24, 2009, 01:35 PM
Are you showing up in the Preliminary Standings yet? If not and all your scores (at least the 8, 4 from diff judges and shows) are reported to the USDF (do a Horse Score Check), I would email someone at USDF and ask why not. Also check the P.O. and make sure your horse's name is listed on the Eligible List.

Remember, those results are often 4 to 8 weeks behind...

luv2piaffe
Aug. 25, 2009, 08:53 PM
I'm doing the USDF awards too, they take the median score of however many scores you have. But I recently found out that they take only the top two scores from each judge. For example I had the same judge 4 times in a show I went to. I recieved a 74,72,70,and a 69. For the median score they only counted the 74 and 72%, the 70 and 69% dont matter.

Goodluck!!!!!!

MelShiloh
Aug. 25, 2009, 09:32 PM
Im not on the preliminary standings list yet but my last show was this past weekend and that gave me tests 8, 9 & 10. I know that's two more than the 8 required. I was just curious how it all was figured out.

Thanks so much for all your input everyone!

MelShiloh
Aug. 25, 2009, 09:36 PM
I'm doing the USDF awards too, they take the median score of however many scores you have. But I recently found out that they take only the top two scores from each judge. For example I had the same judge 4 times in a show I went to. I recieved a 74,72,70,and a 69. For the median score they only counted the 74 and 72%, the 70 and 69% dont matter.

Goodluck!!!!!!

Oh!! That's good to know. Im going to have a ball trying to figure things out :lol: Your scores are terrific! Do you mind if I ask what your All Breeds declaration is? Which PO?

Knothead
Aug. 26, 2009, 10:19 AM
Im not on the preliminary standings list yet but my last show was this past weekend and that gave me tests 8, 9 & 10. I know that's two more than the 8 required. I was just curious how it all was figured out.

Thanks so much for all your input everyone!

Oh, that will take a few weeks then...it's like torture waiting for everything to be posted! I'm sure this time of year the people that do this on the USDF end are going nuts.

How was your last show?? Good luck!

crthunder
Aug. 26, 2009, 11:38 AM

Goodluck!!!!!!

Where did you find this info? I'm trying to get unconfused but the more I have read the more confused I am!

Becky

MelShiloh
Aug. 26, 2009, 12:05 PM
Oh, that will take a few weeks then...it's like torture waiting for everything to be posted! I'm sure this time of year the people that do this on the USDF end are going nuts.

How was your last show?? Good luck!

It was great! We had a really tough judge. Many of the Training 1 & 2 scores were in the 50'2 and 40's. My little guy and I rode T3 & T4 Sat. and T4 and F1 Sunday and we got 63.6%, 66.8%, 66.4% and 64.3% respectively. Im really happy with the scores given that im riding a 15.2 paint and that we had the 3rd highest score of the day with the 66.8% on Saturday. :)

MelShiloh
Aug. 26, 2009, 12:08 PM
Where did you find this info? I'm trying to get unconfused but the more I have read the more confused I am!

Becky

Hi Becky,

I figured it out the way everyone here is saying. Take all of your tests and arrange them from the lowest scores to the highest scores and then take the middle two tests and average just those two. I ended up with a 64% median. The current first place person in my all breeds division (APHA) has a 65% ~ shoot! :lol:

Does that help at all?

cyndi
Aug. 26, 2009, 12:14 PM
Hi Becky,

I figured it out the way everyone here is saying. Take all of your tests and arrange them from the lowest scores to the highest scores and then take the middle two tests and average just those two. I ended up with a 64% median. The current first place person in my all breeds division (APHA) has a 65% ~ shoot! :lol:

Does that help at all?

You only take the MIDDLE two scores if you have an even number of scores (ie, 8). If you have an odd number of scores, you will have a single score that will serve as your median.

Dune
Aug. 26, 2009, 12:43 PM
My horse is declared for All Breeds .

How do you "declare" for All Breeds?:confused:

cyndi
Aug. 26, 2009, 01:02 PM
Use this form.

http://www.usdf.org/docs/awards/all-breeds/DeclarationForm.pdf

And choose carefully. Once you have declared a sponsoring organization, you cannot change it unless the organization stops sponsoring awards.

crthunder
Aug. 26, 2009, 01:08 PM
Let me clarify my question - I can handle the median part (I'm a math teacher :) ) it's the info that is the only two scores per judge count that I'm reading.

I looked on the USDF site and I can't find that anywhere...

My question is because I have five scores from one show (only one judge) and three from another judge (different show).

This is way complicated!
Becky

cyndi
Aug. 26, 2009, 02:09 PM
I am not sure where it is written on the USDF website, but yes, if you have 5 scores from the same judge, they will drop the three lowest ones in figuring your median. No more than two scores per judge. This is a recent rule change, I believe. I know I was suprised when I checked my median just this a.m. because it was higher than I thought it would be - and discovered that I had 3 scores from two different judges, so the lowest scores from each of those judges were dropped.:D

So, you need to make sure you have enough scores to qualify for year end awards if you have more than two scores from one or more judges - since those scores will be dropped.

luv2piaffe
Aug. 26, 2009, 02:36 PM
Oh!! That's good to know. Im going to have a ball trying to figure things out :lol: Your scores are terrific! Do you mind if I ask what your All Breeds declaration is? Which PO?

Yeah no prob, we are not up their yet but the Oldenburg Horse Breeders Society NA Divison of GOV.

It's a little hard figuring it out but just line up your scores from lowest to highest, then start cancelling each score out. For example mine right now is..

77 x
75 x
74 x
73 x
73 x
72 x
71 ------------------> 71% is my median score
70 x
70 x
69 x
69 x
68 x
64 x

Hope i helped:winkgrin:

luv2piaffe
Aug. 26, 2009, 02:43 PM

Becky

I usually end up just calling USDF when I have a question. I have tried to find things on the website but I usually just end up getting frustrated. So if you cant find it call or email usdf.

what other questions do you have?

MelShiloh
Aug. 26, 2009, 02:56 PM
OOOHHH!!! I was still doing it wrong! Sheesh! So with the drop the lowest test if you have more than two from one judge my median is higher. That's terrific!
Thanks everyone for the helpful information. I dare say, I think i've really got it this time. :)

Knothead
Aug. 26, 2009, 04:07 PM
It was great! We had a really tough judge. Many of the Training 1 & 2 scores were in the 50'2 and 40's. My little guy and I rode T3 & T4 Sat. and T4 and F1 Sunday and we got 63.6%, 66.8%, 66.4% and 64.3% respectively. Im really happy with the scores given that im riding a 15.2 paint and that we had the 3rd highest score of the day with the 66.8% on Saturday. :)

Congratulations! Good scores make for a fun weekend!

Dune
Aug. 27, 2009, 08:56 PM
Congrats, OP, and thanks for the heads up on how this all works. For the first time next year I'll be "going for" one of the All-Breeds awards and do you know not ONE person in the office mentioned that I had to "declare" myself for this???:mad: And yes, I asked them what all I had to do, that's what makes it so bad. :no:

Cowgirl
Aug. 28, 2009, 01:48 AM
FWIW, you also have to be a member of the declared breed organization. So just declaring your horse with USDF is not enough; you also have to join (and pay an annual fee) the breed organization that sponsors the All Breeds Awards. At least that's what I had to do.

NJRider
Aug. 28, 2009, 08:58 AM
FWIW, you also have to be a member of the declared breed organization. So just declaring your horse with USDF is not enough; you also have to join (and pay an annual fee) the breed organization that sponsors the All Breeds Awards. At least that's what I had to do.

Sometimes that is not enough. You have to have your horse registered (of course), be a member of said organization, be "declared" with USDF, the organization must pay the annual fee to the USDF, and the organization may on top of all of that, charge an annual "award participation" fee. To see if this fee is charged, you must check with the organization, it is not up to the USDF to inform you of the various rules of an organization. Is there anyone out there who thinks this NOT all about money?