PDA

View Full Version : Need a new Schooling Helmet

KatherineC
Aug. 21, 2009, 07:48 PM
Any suggestions? I like the Tipperary Sportage. My daughter has one and it is quite nice. Your thoughts?

whicker
Aug. 22, 2009, 10:38 PM
Where do you live and what kind of riding do you do and at what time of day?

I live in Virginia and I ride in the sunlight. I hack out a lot as well as work in the sand arena. I use the toxel dakota in sandstone. It has great ventilation, the outside stays clean and reflects the sun, so I don't get quite as hot. The best part is that it has the most brim, to help keep the sun out of my eyes. The brim doesn't get in the way of seeing for jumping. My eyes are sensitive and I am vain enough not to want to have my face look like the leather of my saddle.:eek:eek:

joiedevie99
Aug. 23, 2009, 12:35 AM
If the Tipperary fits you- go for it. I love mine- and I know lots of others who do as well.

Ambrey
Aug. 23, 2009, 01:00 AM
I just got an IRH Elite Extreme and wow, the vents are awesome! A lot more expensive than the Tipperary, but I needed one I could show in too.

thatmoody
Aug. 23, 2009, 09:50 AM
I have the IRH Elite Extreme as well, and I love it. I have also worn a friend's Tipperary, though, and it was lighter and more vented, so if you can have separate show and schooling helmets that's what I'd get. The IRH is BETTER than it used to be, but still not quite as light as the tipperary. One thing I found, though, is that the bill fell off the Tipperary eventually, and it's kind of weird looking now (and no sun shade, either!). It lasted her a good two years, though, and they're not that expensive, so...

quietann
Aug. 23, 2009, 12:46 PM
I am a huge fan of the Tipperary *original* Sportage. It was discontinued a year or two ago, and groans were heard throughout the horse community as the replacement "Sportage Plus" was awful. The company just released the "Sportage 8500" which is supposedly very similar to the original; I have not tried it yet, but rumor has it that it's pretty close to the old one.

It was sort of like Old Coke/New Coke and we know what happened there :winkgrin:

pintopiaffe
Aug. 23, 2009, 03:47 PM
I HATE the Tips. Wanted to love. Hate. Have you worn it?

If you like it, most folks who wear them rave about them.

It just took me TWO YEARS to find another very light, cool schooling helmet. I used to wear a Dakota, for five years. It hit the pavement (with me in it) so needed replaced. They changed them. I hate the new one. The adjustment thingy grabs hanks of my hair to pull it out. The Orion has the same thingy.

I wore a DelMar for last summer. Loved it. Kilt it with bug spray. :no: :(

Just, just finally found a mutant Troxel Sport that fits. I've tried them before without them fittinng.

Moral of the story--if it fits and you like it, GET IT.

HollysHobbies
Aug. 24, 2009, 09:44 AM
I have the sportage. It's very comfortable and breathes well. I wasn't a big fan of the vented look (I felt like a turtle), so I bought a black stretch cover for it--it looks really good now IMO!

KatherineC
Aug. 24, 2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the information. I will certainly try the suggestions.

pnalley
Aug. 24, 2009, 05:14 PM
I tried on about 20 helmets before I decided the Tipperrary is most shaped like my head. The Troxels don't fit me well at all.

The only bad thing about the Tipperary is that I look like I have an armadillo on my head:lol:

Find the one that is the most comfortable for you, with proper fit. If you need more shade you can by the brims separately

JackSprats Mom
Aug. 24, 2009, 09:41 PM
I just bought the Tipperrary sportage after riding in a troxel for years and I have to say I won't ever go back!

While I won't show in thie helmet for everyday schooling its great :yes: I also do conditioning on the side for LD endurance rides and so far this helmet has done its job of being comfortable when worn for 3+ hours and keeping me as cool as a helmet can.

It has my vote!