PDA

View Full Version : US racehorse Drilling For Oil found butchered in Peru - Equestrian news, equine news,

Carol Ames
Aug. 21, 2009, 11:27 AM
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/287649.htmlA winning US racehorse has been stolen and butchered for meat in Peru.http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/287649.htmlA winning US racehorse has been stolen and butchered for meat in Peru.

Local reports say racehorse Drilling For Oil, was taken from a field at his owners stud near Lima in the early hours of Tuesday (4 August).

The six-year-old had previously won races in the US — including the Grade 3 Louisville Handicap at Churchill Downs — but had been recently retired to stud in Peru.

A son of Giants Causeway, Drilling For Oil won nearly $300,000 in prize money during his career.

Local authorities believe he was stolen for meat, which would have been sold as on as beef.

The horse's head, feet, tail and bones were found two miles away from his Israeli owner Hiad Hamide's stud.

Local reports say thieves let loose other horses to distract guards, before taking Drilling For Oil to sell his meat by the kilo.

Just a couple of weeks ago two stallions at another studfarm in Peru were found beheaded.
Related articles:

Amyy
Aug. 21, 2009, 01:14 PM
Yeah its terrible. I made a thread about it a couple of weeks ago
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=218143&highlight=drilling+for+oil

Carol Ames
Aug. 22, 2009, 07:00 PM
I don't know what's worse: the crude method by which he died, or the fact that people are so poor/hungry that they would do such a thing, or the fact that he was sent to a place where people are so poor/hungry that a thing like that could happen. I agreeIt makes me sick to even think about it

I'm sorry Amy.

summerhorse
Aug. 23, 2009, 02:57 AM
And sometimes people are just thieves. Just because it is a poor hungry country doesn't mean that the thieves are poor and hungry (if they do this a lot they are probably neither!).

Like the ones in FL and other places we've read about they are stealing other people's stock to sell it for money. In this case they were going to pass it off as (apparently) higher priced beef. They were organized and had a plan because they let the other horses loose so they could steal this one in the confusion. This horse was big but he may also have been the target of revenge because I doubt he was THAT much bigger than the other TBs.

stoicfish
Aug. 23, 2009, 05:04 AM
Maybe this wasn't about meat. Maybe it was like a The Godfather thing... as suggested by Summer.
I am guessing that the people that did this knew the horse was worth quite a bit becasue of its location and who it belonged to. I also assume that the risk of stealing/killing such a horse just for meat does not make sense. I bet there were other horses in the area that would have been an easier mark. JMO.

JstMyLuck3
Aug. 28, 2009, 03:53 PM
Whatever their motive, this is sick. I can't fathom there are people on this earth capable of doing such a thing. Karma, please get them.