PDA

View Full Version : Black coat/helmet vs. Navy coat/helmet on blonde horse and blonde rider?

asb_own_me
Aug. 20, 2009, 07:16 PM
I'm sure this has been done to death, but I'm completely stressed out about this. Which I'm sure seems stupid to many of you, but I get stressed about the little stuff :eek:

Problem: I *thought* I was convinced that I wanted a navy/navy velvet collar/silver piping Doreen or Aachen. With a navy/silver Charles Owen GR8.

Problem: I am blonde. Horse is blonde. Is all black too stark? Would I attract negative attention in a navy outfit? (see me and horse here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syoTjRhT06Q Yes, at a regular show I would have white, not tan, breeches.)

Problem: Horse is a Saddlebred. Am I attracting negative attention by not wearing the *uniform* of black?

I feel like I'm going to pull my hair out. Any opinions? On the color selection - not my raging OCD, please :lol: ;) :lol:

D_BaldStockings
Aug. 20, 2009, 09:40 PM
Take a quick look through this thread
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=219645

Wear what makes you feel you ride best in, navy is fine. :)

...and bumping up for any others who'd like to join in

GallantGesture
Aug. 20, 2009, 09:53 PM
I showed my tb this summer. He is typical tb, flat gaits, 15.3 and leaner build, nothing "warmblood-y" about him. And I rode in a Wintec Isabel saddle. And I wore a blue Pikeur coat and a blue Charles Owen helmet. And I rode well, and my little tb tried his heart out, and we had a great time! And the icing on the cake was that we got good scores, a blue and lots of red ribbons, and a qualifying score for finals. No negative comments on the blue outfit or the tb or the Wintec (and I showed open, not AA), and we got quite a few compliments.

Go have a good time. If you've trained well, you and your horse will look great no matter what you wear, so wear what makes you happy (and will look good in the pics later!).

pintopiaffe
Aug. 21, 2009, 12:39 PM
Navy is as 'classical' as black. Many, many, MANY shads are midnight blue. If it's ok for a shad/tophat, it's certainly OK for a frock & cap.

OTOH, the most beautiful turnout I've ever seen on pallys is brown. Luscious daaaark brown. Just makes the mane and tail sparkle.

I can't see vid, are your horses mane/tail white? Ivory? or darker? I would consider not-white breeks. Only because I ride a pinto. His white is fishbelly white, *but* if I use a white pad, white breeks etc., *something* ends up looking dingy. So I use a fitted pad and 'willow' breeks. (it's the Irideon colour, but think the 'olden days' popular hunter colour--after canary, before puke green. ;) ) I've always worn an ivory-grey, or very light tan rather than white on the pintos. Might be worth considering.

Might not--if clashing whites isn't an issue, just consider this a tangent. ;)

paintlady
Aug. 21, 2009, 12:47 PM
I say... go for NAVY! I have a chestnut overo mare with a blue eye. I have a Navy jacket and just got a Charles Owen Navy helmet. My tack is *gasp* brown. Personally, I think we look much shaper than if we were all in black.

Ambrey
Aug. 21, 2009, 01:45 PM
I vote blue :) I think black would look fine, but you sound like you like blue better, and you'll ride better if you feel like you look just SMASHING!

And I agree that wearing it with champagne pad/gloves/breeches would be double smashing!

Who was the rider that wore navy/cream in the olympics? I thought it looked lovely!

asb_own_me
Aug. 21, 2009, 07:44 PM
Unfortunately I have white pads and white breeches already :( I *do* love the look of the navy. I guess I'll go for it!