PDA

View Full Version : Lunging Attachment

msj
Aug. 20, 2009, 02:10 PM
Has anyone used this and found it to be effective? It's the little y-shaped strap that attaches to the bit and then has a ring the lunge line can be attached to. I've always run the lunge line through the bit, over the head, down the other side and through the bit. I've seen these advertised and I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age. I really don't want to go with a lunge caveson as I don't plan to lunge the horse for more than 15 minutes a couple of times a week just to keep him in better shape.

This is it:

http://equestrian.doversaddlery.com/search?dmi_offer_code=SITE&w=lunge+attachment&idc=[[SLI_IDC]]&ids=538528060

Eclectic Horseman
Aug. 20, 2009, 02:22 PM
I've used one. It does make it easier to turn the horse around without unattaching and reattaching.

I don't really care for it though since it directly pulls on the bit in the horse's mouth. Pretty harsh.

msj
Aug. 20, 2009, 02:28 PM
I've used one. It does make it easier to turn the horse around without unattaching and reattaching.

I don't really care for it though since it directly pulls on the bit in the horse's mouth. Pretty harsh.

I think that is my main concern with it. The method I've always used pulls the bit UP in their mouth and the lunging attachment I would think pulls the bit DOWN in their mouth. :(

rocky213
Aug. 20, 2009, 02:28 PM
I just bought a bunch of them at The Equestrian Shoppe in North Andover, MA for like a dollar. They had a bucket of them.

They look more like this though ...
http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=22742

mbm
Aug. 20, 2009, 02:40 PM
i have found the best way to lunge if you don't have a cavesson is to loop the line around the bit ring and the noseband. This way you don't pull on the mouth.

the over the top of the head is a very severe way to attach a lunge line.

SoldierBoy96
Aug. 20, 2009, 04:01 PM
mbm- the way you are referring to, is that like in the same manner as over the poll, but just over the noseband instead? Or, clarify please :)

msj
Aug. 20, 2009, 04:04 PM
i have found the best way to lunge if you don't have a cavesson is to loop the line around the bit ring and the noseband. This way you don't pull on the mouth.

Hm, I was always taught that way by several trainers. But, I think I understand what you are saying.

The line has to go into bit ring first, then looped through the noseband, and then hooked back to bit ring, therefore putting the pressure on the noseband and not the bit. I'm just guessing on where the snap actually attaches or is hooked. Is that what you are saying?

msj
Aug. 20, 2009, 04:07 PM
I just bought a bunch of them at The Equestrian Shoppe in North Andover, MA for like a dollar. They had a bucket of them.

They look more like this though ...
http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=22742

With the padded neoprene strap, that looks like it could go over the nose actually. Is it long enough to do that? That would eliminate the downward pressure on the bit if that is so.

lizathenag
Aug. 20, 2009, 04:12 PM
I don't like longing in bridles at all as they aren't made for that. When I check the tongues on my buckles, they are often bent, I think from the longeing.

That said, I have used the attachment and like it but mine has a pokey thing on the snap that my horse can grab with his lip and undo (of course).

Now I only longe a few times a year when I need him to focus on me for some reason.

mbm
Aug. 20, 2009, 04:22 PM
mbm- the way you are referring to, is that like in the same manner as over the poll, but just over the noseband instead? Or, clarify please :)

:)

take the end of the lunge line, thread it thru the bit ring, up under the noseband (should go in front of the cheek piece) then snap it back to itself (not the bit)... so it loops around the bit ring and the noseband - so in effect you will be putting pressure on the noseband and not the bit. I loop thru the bit ring just to keep it in place ...

if you have the klimke young horse book you can see what i mean as it is one of the options they show.

I have found this works eve for the most unruly horse :)

CapitolDesign
Aug. 20, 2009, 05:10 PM
The USDF teaches in their Advanced Lungeing workshop to loop it once through the inside bit ring and then clip it to the outside bit ring. I completely agree that going over the head is very severe, as it turns your snaffle into a gag. Similarly, the Y attachment turns your bit into a nutcracker, pushing on the roof of the mouth.

Glad to see this conversation, because most of the people that I see lunge tend to do it in a harsh way, without even knowing how much they are hurting their horses.

pippa553
Aug. 20, 2009, 05:14 PM

take the end of the lunge line, thread it thru the bit ring, up under the noseband (should go in front of the cheek piece) then snap it back to itself (not the bit)...

What a great piece of knowledge! Would you need a chain on the end of the lunge line? I'm not sure how I could snap my lunge back to itself with the webbing...

msj
Aug. 20, 2009, 05:51 PM

take the end of the lunge line, thread it thru the bit ring, up under the noseband (should go in front of the cheek piece) then snap it back to itself (not the bit)... so it loops around the bit ring and the noseband - so in effect you will be putting pressure on the noseband and not the bit. I loop thru the bit ring just to keep it in place ...

Ok, BUT with the lunge line I have, there is no way to 'snap it back onto itself'. Mine just has a snap at the end. It doesn't have a chain as some do. This horse is a saint in the first place and when he gets gas colic episodes, I just put him on the lunge line in his halter (god forbid :eek: like the hunter people do). :( And I'm not a hunter person. :no:

I don't ride anymore but I'd like my guy to get some exercise and use himself, which is why he is being lunged in a bridle WITH side reins. He's built a bit low and long in the back and I'd really like him NOT to get swaybacked if I can help it.

If I thought it would work, I'd try to put his halter on OVER his bridle and hook the side reins as usual to the bit, but I think the halter would be in the way.

msj
Aug. 20, 2009, 05:54 PM
The USDF teaches in their Advanced Lungeing workshop to loop it once through the inside bit ring and then clip it to the outside bit ring. I completely agree that going over the head is very severe, as it turns your snaffle into a gag. Similarly, the Y attachment turns your bit into a nutcracker, pushing on the roof of the mouth.

Glad to see this conversation, because most of the people that I see lunge tend to do it in a harsh way, without even knowing how much they are hurting their horses.

OK, if you go through the inside bit ring, are you going under the jaw to clip it to the outside bit ring. In other words, how are you getting to the outside ring?

mbm
Aug. 20, 2009, 05:56 PM
if your lunge line is too thick, then use a piece of leather (unused flash?) to lop around the bit ring/noseband and hook the lunge line to that.

ie; get creative!

a chain might be too heavy....

eta: i have lunged with sidereins but using a halter.... it works really well !

eta again: when i lunge i want to stay away from damaging my horses mouth.... so i don't want any tension there except for the side reins .... so i would not loop back to the o/s bit ring - not even if USDF said it was the correct way ;)

msj
Aug. 20, 2009, 06:17 PM
if your lunge line is too thick, then use a piece of leather (unused flash?) to lop around the bit ring/noseband and hook the lunge line to that.

ie; get creative!

a chain might be too heavy....

eta: i have lunged with sidereins but using a halter.... it works really well !

eta again: when i lunge i want to stay away from damaging my horses mouth.... so i don't want any tension there except for the side reins .... so i would not loop back to the o/s bit ring - not even if USDF said it was the correct way ;)

I know I have several unused flashes and I like that idea. :D Now for it to get a bit cooler and less muggy and I'll get my boy working again. Well, at least with the idea of working. :D

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

PS. If nothing else, you just saved me a few dollars as well. :D :D :D

stryder
Aug. 20, 2009, 07:35 PM
I had a small-diameter rope halter made, with a loop on the noseband, that I use as a lungeing cavesson. Actually, it has a fiador knot below the jaw, too.

At any rate, I put it on first, then the bridle. It doesn't interfere in any way. I lunge first sometimes, or work in hand. When I'm ready to ride, I remove the lunge line. No hardware on either the rope halter or lunge line.

Mallard
Aug. 20, 2009, 08:57 PM
I ALWAYS use a cavesson.
You should never longe with the line attached to the bit.

As already noted, those attachments are heavy and pull the bit down. Ouch.
Over the head pulls the bit up. Ouch.
Never seen the through the bit to the noseband.

If you don't have a proper cavesson, put a snug halter on over the bridle.

How can a horse gain confidence and accept the bit if the line is attached to it?

CapitolDesign
Aug. 20, 2009, 10:46 PM
The USDF recommends that you put the line through the center of the inside bit ring, bring it under the bottom part of the ring and then through the center again. Extend the line under the horse's chin and then snap to the bottom of the outside bit ring. Especially with an outside side rein attached, there really is no severe action on the face ESPECIALLY if you are lungeing properly and your horse is trained to w/t/c on a circle, with respect for voice, light line and whip aids.

Dressage (Pea)Nut
Aug. 21, 2009, 03:19 AM
Anyone have any PICTURES of what they are talking about? I read through many of the postings a couple of times and still can't visualize what they're describing.

Hazelnut
Aug. 21, 2009, 08:22 AM
What do the you all think of the lunge line through the inside bit ring then attached to the girth for bend? I've seen this, but not tried it.

Nojacketrequired
Aug. 21, 2009, 10:12 AM
I also use the longeline through the bit and noseband. You have some control if the horse gets goofy, but the longe line doesn't hang off the bit.

I have used the longe line back to the girth, but you should always use it with properly adjusted side reins, otherwise the horse is just turning his neck and running through the shoulder.

NJR

Ambrey
Aug. 21, 2009, 12:47 PM
What do the you all think of the lunge line through the inside bit ring then attached to the girth for bend? I've seen this, but not tried it.

My trainer has me use this if my horse is not flexed properly during longing. Especially the pony is very one-sided and will go around counterbent on his "off" side without a bit of help.

mbm
Aug. 21, 2009, 01:04 PM
exactly how does a line to the girth help a horse *bend* correctly?

if the horse is so crooked that it counter bends you need to align it properly head to tail.....and that means letting it counter bend until it gets it's body straight, working it into even contact until it take the outside rein and bends correctly.

otherwise you are only neck bending.....

Ambrey
Aug. 21, 2009, 01:07 PM
Sorry, not bend, flexion.

And yes, you have to be careful not to bend the neck.

I'm not quite awake this morning.