PDA

View Full Version : Can Horses Be Potty Trained?

imissvixen
Aug. 20, 2009, 01:17 PM
One of my horses poops in the exact same spot in his stall. I am going to put a muck bucket there this afternoon with some of his poop in it to see if he will keep pooping there. It would be so nice if he did. Has anyone had any success with this sort of thing?

Chief2
Aug. 20, 2009, 01:20 PM
I have it even better. My first horse would deliberately haul us over to the manure pile on our way into the barn, poop, and then go into his stall. Mr. Chief2 clips his horse onto the line out in the pasture, the horse pees, poops, and then they come in. Works like clockwork. For some reason, I sometimes get the same result, and sometimes, not.:lol:

arabhorse2
Aug. 20, 2009, 02:01 PM
I don't have the time to potty train mine, but I know Misty Blue trained her horse Gal to pee in a bucket on command! :lol:

It would actually be a great time and bedding saver if you could pull it off.

billiebob
Aug. 20, 2009, 02:04 PM
I was just thinking about this when cleaning stalls this morning. There are a few that I think would benefit from potty training......well, all of them really, so I don't have to muck when it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity outside :lol:.

ChocoMare
Aug. 20, 2009, 02:09 PM
Holler over to Misty Blue. Her late mare used to Pee in a Bucket! Yes, she has pictures as proof :winkgrin:

equineartworks
Aug. 20, 2009, 02:12 PM
Dumplin' would pee in one spot and poop in another about 99% of the time. Katie goes in the same spot in the pasture.

Paco? He goes EVERYWHERE :lol:

Lady Counselor
Aug. 20, 2009, 03:28 PM
If I left a muck bucket in the stall, I would lay money it will get tossed around and trashed by morning. Just a great, big smelly toy...

Ridinwyoming
Aug. 20, 2009, 03:38 PM
My horse is trained to go in the horse trailer. :lol: It never fails once you get her in there she goes.

Bluey
Aug. 20, 2009, 03:43 PM
All my horses are trained to go in a corner of the pens.
Easier to clean it every time I feed, just keep the manure basket right close in a stall and the feeding area is always clean.:)

I had one horse that would absolutely not go out in the pasture, would gallop in the barn, go in the spot and gallop back out to graze with the others, some times a mile away.:rolleyes:
With him, I went from a bucket full every two days to over a bucket twice a day.:eek:

He had been a stallion until late and I think they are more careful where they go than your run of the mill horse.:yes:

Saidapal
Aug. 20, 2009, 03:47 PM
Disclaimer: This is total and complete plagiarism. I got this off another forum I frequent and if I could remember who posted it I would give them credit:

For those curious about housebreaking horses, we first decide where the horses like to go naturally and that should be a few places and pick the one that works best for us, that in these pens is on the West end, as we keep the manure spreader there and it is easy to just pitch it over the fence into it.

When they go in any other place, keep cleaning it all up very, very good and putting some of it in the designated place.

After a while, they all seem to get the message and they come in from the pasture and line at the water trough and others by the bathroom and take turns drinking and taking a dump on "their" pile.

When they are very good, you rarely find a pile anywhere else, you can keep their "spot" clean and they will still go right to it and make it easy on you.

So far it's been working for me. I chose their favorite spot in their stalls and made that the 'potty spot'. They slip now and then but so far so good.

whicker
Aug. 20, 2009, 03:49 PM
Guide companion minis are trained to request potty time at a particular command, so they can travel anywhere. I read of one that flies in the regular cabin with the owner. That was on the way to the tv special.

Bluey
Aug. 20, 2009, 03:53 PM
Disclaimer: This is total and complete plagiarism. I got this off another forum I frequent and if I could remember who posted it I would give them credit:

For those curious about housebreaking horses, we first decide where the horses like to go naturally and that should be a few places and pick the one that works best for us, that in these pens is on the West end, as we keep the manure spreader there and it is easy to just pitch it over the fence into it.

When they go in any other place, keep cleaning it all up very, very good and putting some of it in the designated place.

After a while, they all seem to get the message and they come in from the pasture and line at the water trough and others by the bathroom and take turns drinking and taking a dump on "their" pile.

When they are very good, you rarely find a pile anywhere else, you can keep their "spot" clean and they will still go right to it and make it easy on you.

So far it's been working for me. I chose their favorite spot in their stalls and made that the 'potty spot'. They slip now and then but so far so good.

I wrote that.:lol:

Yes, it works.;)

KateKat
Aug. 20, 2009, 03:58 PM
how do you do the actual training though? Similar to teaching a dog to go on command?

Saidapal
Aug. 20, 2009, 04:00 PM
What a hoot!!! I thought it was the other forum....but anyway, I hereby give BLUEY full and complete credit....and my eternal gratitude.

FatPalomino
Aug. 20, 2009, 04:05 PM
We leave a pitchfork in the dog run area, and one of the weirdo rescue dogs will poop right on the pitch fork. My husband says he's just out to help the cause. I do think it is hilarious!

My horses are trained to pee ALL OVER the trailer. NO matter how long I time them to the side, to do their own business, it's just a lot more fun inside. All of them are trying to learn it. I DON"T think that's hilarious.

Bluey
Aug. 20, 2009, 04:07 PM
how do you do the actual training though? Similar to teaching a dog to go on command?

Are you asking that to the one teaching the horse to go before they put them up, or to our horses going to the bathroom in one spot only?

We don't train them, they train themselves if you keep picking the pens up all the time and putting some horse apples in the spot you want them to use, so they can tell that is where to go.
They catch up in a day or two where the bathroom is, unless you pick a really bad spot they don't like at all.;)

Once they know where the bathroom is, even if you clean it very well every day, they still will use that spot, you don't need to leave any there to remind them.

You can also change the spot to another place if your needs change and they will oblige, once they know to go on one spot only.:yes:

Starting a new horse with the herd, most times they go here and there and I clean it and put some in the designated spot and it doesn't take them but a day or two to catch on and start only going in the designated spot.

Giddy-up
Aug. 20, 2009, 04:16 PM
If I left a muck bucket in the stall, I would lay money it will get tossed around and trashed by morning. Just a great, big smelly toy...

I have to agree. I have thought about leaving a muck tub overnight since he poops in the same spot, but I too think it would be a giant toy.

imissvixen
Aug. 20, 2009, 05:19 PM
I read the other day that they are training dogs to detect diseases in humans... we must be able to train horses to poop in a bucket. If we could figure this out we could be millionaires!!!!

imissvixen
Aug. 21, 2009, 07:10 AM
I left the muck bucket in his stall last night and he found a different place to poop.

Bluey
Aug. 21, 2009, 07:14 AM
I left the muck bucket in his stall last night and he found a different place to poop.

Well, it was a good try, anyway.;)