PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Steeplechase Championship Day (Oct 17th) NJ/VA

Glimmerglass
Aug. 19, 2009, 07:59 PM
I will be at the International Gold Cup the day they are broadcasting so I'll miss my chance to see how good the action is on tv but this is quite a coup for the National Steeplechase Association (NSA)!

Further it's good to see that NBC - via their widely distributed cable channel Universal Sports - is willing to dip its toe into waters to air additional horse racing. The NSA exercised some creativity - inspired no doubt from the FL vs. CA Sunshine Millions that NBC used to air switching between Santa Anita and Gulfstream to keep the action flowing for broadcast audiences.

One interesting rub is that I'm not aware of the Virginia races being previously ones you could wager on ;) As best as I know only Colonial Downs and a very small handful of OTB locations in Richmond, VA offer wagering in the Old Dominion state.

Daily Racing Form 8-19-09 "Steeplechasers in TV deal" (http://drf.com/news/article/106515.html)

The National Steeplechase Association has organized 12 races scheduled for cards at racecourses in Virginia and New Jersey on Oct. 17 for a Breeders' Cup-style event that will be televised live by NBC Universal Sports, the organization announced on Wednesday.

The 12-race card, which will offer total purses of $700,000, will be headlined by the most prestigious U.S. steeplechase race on the calendar, the $250,000, Grade 1 Grand National at the Far Hills race meet in New Jersey. First post for the card will be 12:45, with a race run every 20 to 25 minutes, alternating between the six-race card at Far Hills and the six-race card at the International Gold Cup meet at Great Meadow Racecourse in The Plains, Virginia.

The television broadcast, which will begin at noon, is expected to last five hours, and will include broadband and online coverage, according to the NSA and NBC Universal.

The NSA will seek to reach agreements with simulcast sites and account-wagering companies to offer betting on the 12-race card, both in the U.S. and in countries in Europe, according to Lou Raffetto, the chief executive officer of the NSA. The association has not yet determined which wagers might be offered, Raffetto said.

"We're going to try to open the door a little bit and maybe build this event up," Raffetto said. "Hopefully we can raise the awareness of our sport and maybe raise a little revenue in the process."

Like flat racing, steeplechase racing has struggled to find new racing fans over the past few decades. The Far Hills meet is one of the sport's most popular events, drawing 50,000 fans annually to the New Jersey course, while the International Gold Cup card typically draws approximately 35,000 fans, according to the NSA.

The three-year contract with NBC Universal Sports is a partnership in which the association and the television network will share in the costs and revenues, according to Raffetto. NBC Universal Sports broadcast the bulk of last year's equestrian events at the Summer Olympics and is one of the few networks to regularly carry equestrian sports outside of flat racing.

"This is something that fits real well with their coverage," Raffetto said. "It's a lifestyle event to their audience."

ETA: This is for NBC's ownership of Universal Sports (not NBC Sports directly)

http://www.universalsports.com/fls/23000/tv/where-to-find-on-tv.html

vacation1
Aug. 19, 2009, 08:03 PM
One of the big networks agrees to air FIVE HOURS of a horse event that isn't the Kentucky Derby?????? Be still, my heart. And pray god there's no hockey game on beforehand....

Glimmerglass
Aug. 19, 2009, 08:09 PM
Cautiously optimistic - as its worth noting they cite NBC Universal. I make the assumption that is NBC Sports but the "family" also includes USA Network which they've used to air previously the Santa Anita Derby on before. As well as Bravo! which they aired live this year's Kentucky Oaks on.

Still I doubt that the NSA would've agreed to this if their content was going to aired somewhere out on the cable doldrums ;) ESPN eons ago did air the Far Hills racing action from NJ which has been a huge social event a bit more akin to the very well attended Virginia Gold Cup held in the Spring.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 19, 2009, 08:27 PM
Ok - misleading as this will indeed be aired on Universal Sports which is a cable channel onto itself .. alas

NBC Universal Sports is a cable station available in approximately 56-million homes, including much of the East Coast.

I get it where I live but with 56-million homes it is still fewer then say ESPN.

TB Times 8-19-09 "Steeplechase Championships set for October 17" (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2009/August/19/Steeplechase-cards-combined-for-Championships-on-October-17.aspx)

The agreement includes coverage of additional events in 2010.

Churchill Downs announcer Mark Johnson will call the races at Far Hills, topped by the $250,000 Grand National. Dave Johnson will be the announcer for the International Gold Cup card at Great Meadows.

As a prelude to the Championships, the National Steeplechase Association will conduct a Fall Steeplechase Festival at Monmouth Park on September 26, offering a full card of Steeplechase races integrated with four flat races.

Cool that Dave Johnson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLV7xZPwvM0) - likely just for the tv version though - will make the calls for the Virginia 'chasing as I've enjoyed his voice for years. He was NYRA's caller off and on for years from the era of Ruffian into the 1990's. It was his signature ".. and down the stretch they come..."

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 19, 2009, 08:28 PM
NBC is going to show 5 hours of jump racing on network TV on a Saturday afternoon in Oct, right in the middle of college football season? Methinks this is highly unlikely. Esp when you consider that the Breeders Cup (a 100 times bigger draw) isn't aired of network TV, but is shunted off to cable on ESPN.

But hey, I'll settle for a webcast and love the idea of simulcast wagering. Now we're talking. About time the US had a mini-Cheltenham. Nice idea to combine a true blue Timber course at The Plains in VA with the brush fences at Far Hills. Hopefully they'll get a decent announcer to call the races, as most of the announcing you see at US jump meets (most of which you can watch archived on the NSA website (http://www.nationalsteeplechase.com/video/videoarchive.html)) is often fairly amatuerish.

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 19, 2009, 08:29 PM
Cool that Dave Johnson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLV7xZPwvM0) - likely just for the tv version though - will make the calls for the Virginia 'chasing as I've enjoyed his voice for years. He was NYRA's caller off and on for years from the era of Ruffian into the 1990's. It was his signature ".. and down the stretch they come..."

Nice coup to get Johnson.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 19, 2009, 08:35 PM
But hey, I'll settle for a webcast and love the idea of simulcast wagering. Now we're talking. About time the US had a mini-Cheltenham.

The NSA leadership in the last couple of years has been pressing for bringing their events at tracks simply because that affords the wagering element. They have considered the public's ability to wager on 'chasing as being one of the key drivers to reviving the sport. Clearly this is materializing with several NSA sanctioned dates appearing at places at Monmouth and Philadelphia Park as well as holding on to the Saratoga dates. If they can get wagering for the NJ and now VA dates too then it bolsters their mission.

vacation1
Aug. 19, 2009, 09:08 PM
Ok - misleading as this will indeed be aired on Universal Sports which is a cable channel onto itself .. alas

Ah, this is the world as I know it;) Clearly, horse racing will have to step it up a notch to get on the bigs - maybe get a jockey to attempt to kill fellow competitors or operate a pit bull kennel? It works for NASCAR and the NFL.

Beezer
Aug. 19, 2009, 09:23 PM
The availablility of Universal Sports is really hit-and-miss. :sigh: And, of course, it carries a lot (well, relatively ;) ) of horse sports, including the World Cup competition from Vegas.

For instance, none of the big cable carriers here in Southern California have it, but if you get the "over-the-air" channels via the digital converter box, you can get it in many areas on channel 4.4. Go figure.

So, I guess this means I'll be camped out at the parental units' house, since they refused to keep paying $$ for cable when they watched only three or four channels :p and went with converter box. Woot! For once I have outsmarted my worthless cable company!! :yes:

Glimmerglass
Aug. 21, 2009, 10:38 AM
TVG commentator Jimmy Duggin showing - while on a mount - the basics of riding a chaser (3 min long video from 2008) filmed at the Kentucky Horse Park

http://www.hulu.com/watch/6557/tvg-steeple-chase-101

More steeplechasing on tv

Per Jimmy, TVG in addition to the remaining two steeplechase races left for the Saratoga meet there will be a steeplechase race from Belmont this fall. Then Septermber 26 at Monmouth Park there will be six steeplechase races on the card that day which is a first - all carried on TVG.

Barnfairy
Aug. 21, 2009, 01:07 PM
Some of those TVG shorts are pretty good. I wish they'd do more of them.

While at Saratoga I checked out the section of steeplechase jump that is hanging out near the old shoe board across from the paddock. It wasn't quite as imposing up close as I thought it would be (maybe because it was only a short section?) and struck me as sort of a combination of a rolltop and brush. The artificial brush was quite wirey and pokey! I would not want to fall on it. But then I wouldn't want to fall before it or after it either.

SteeleRdr
Aug. 26, 2009, 06:22 PM
Some of those TVG shorts are pretty good. I wish they'd do more of them.

While at Saratoga I checked out the section of steeplechase jump that is hanging out near the old shoe board across from the paddock. It wasn't quite as imposing up close as I thought it would be (maybe because it was only a short section?) and struck me as sort of a combination of a rolltop and brush. The artificial brush was quite wirey and pokey! I would not want to fall on it. But then I wouldn't want to fall before it or after it either.

Yes, a National Hurdle is essentially a rolltop with brush above it. The idea is to get the horses to go through the brush, running faster and jumping longer and lower than what you would see for a typical show horse type. I'm a bigger fan of timber races, which are typically longer races, with bigger, solid jumps.

I'm very excited to see this broadcast! Though, like others I won't see it on tv, I will likely be there (with a horse :) ) Should have the defending winner of the Old Dominion Championship running if his training goes well.

Hunter's Rest
Aug. 26, 2009, 08:51 PM
I did a giant news article about this championship for the Times newspapers - it runs next week.
It is *not* NBC but one of their baby sports affiliates.
Universal does *not* air in Virignia, alas, but does in Md. and DC.
They scrapped the NJ Hunt Cup in favor of the International Gold Cup as the big timber of the day but otherwise the cards actually do sort of favor one another - all big hurdle stakes at FH; timber + steeplethon + more modest hurdles + two big turf races at IGC.
It might just work - it shows exceptional innovation for hte NSA to finally make a positive out of a negative (they don't have hte gonads to have told Far Hills *no* they may not step onto the established IGC date. (Or vice versa.)
Only problem will still be the limited inventory of horseMEN - jockeys will be split so much that there will be little room for error. I'm sure they might import a few from GB.
On another note -- HELLOOOOO Glimmerglass. You'll BE at the IGC???????!!!!! I can't believe my eyes. Will we get a chance to finally meet you in the flesh? Details, man, I want details.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 27, 2009, 11:27 AM
On another note -- HELLOOOOO Glimmerglass. You'll BE at the IGC?!! I can't believe my eyes. Will we get a chance to finally meet you in the flesh? Details, man, I want details.

Yep - my wife and I decided we'd go to The Plains for the ICG over a few other options. We thought about just taking in Glenwood Park for the Virginia Fall Races but thought why not go bigger :) This was before any news of this 'U.S. Steeplechase Championships' was announced. I'm pretty familiar with the area so in the few days we're there, weather cooperative, we should be fairly entertained.

I'm still curious if this means wagering on-site there in The Plains:

Championship day will also mark the first time that two steeplechase venues will be simulcast and pari-mutuel wagering offered on their races. Plans are in the works for an international site to establish wagering pools and to offer betting to outlets around the globe.

Very cool SteeleRdr about having one in for the race. I'll cross my fingers for Straight Gin to be there too ....

I always thought No. Virginia's take was - essentially - feel free to look at the ponies, raise the ponies, and run them but don't you dare try to bet on them ;) The exception being down in Richmond with Colonial Downs.

My continual lamenting on these events (for the viewing public at home) is that they try something a bit more innovative or at least progressive with broadcasting. It's a fixed course and they have have months to prepare. Verticle shots, sweeping camera shots with a crane jib (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHZO6eh4SgU) which NBC has used for the BC before. How about a mic on the riders?

The use of Dave Johnson is a great sign that Universal is serious about this.

Hunter's Rest
Aug. 27, 2009, 09:11 PM
No on site betting, nope. All account wagering, but, you *can* be on site, live, and key in wagers on your cell phone if you're set up.
Fauquier never passed pari mutuel. Loudoun did, but was thwarted when the voters tried to derail a track plan going in near Haymarket; then the VRC double derailed it by selecting the Colonial Downs application a dozen years ago when they 'chose' the state's only track site.
Not even sure if PM ever came up for a vote in Fauquier. But I think with the new internet/interstate wagering stuff, it is now a federal regulating body, not a local jurisdiction issue.
The Georgetown Races at Morven once (twice?) tried portable mutuels, back when Loudoun's PM vote was alive. It never worked very well. Not sure how Fair Hill does in terms of handle, but I know that is a well-attended spring event up there.
GG you *must* check in with us all up this a-ways. I'm certain WateryGlen would be planning to attend in any case, and I'm sure JSwan and a few others would come if we set up a meet-and-greet. Maybe you want to bring the little missus and come out hunting or cartopping or basseting or-or-or-or ... There's so much to do up here in Horse Sports Fairyland.
Perhaps we can get little miss planner JSwan to make us a luncheon in Warrenton Friday??
PS Some of the *boys* have a helmet cam that they use in races around here. Facebook Pat Cooney and you can look at some of his video.
PPS I'm not even sure if Straight Gin is even still training.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:00 PM
PPS I'm not even sure if Straight Gin is even still training.

A shame although after that fall a while back I can see why if he never wanted to jump again. Just maybe we'll see either Rochester or the recently-turned-chaser Steppenwolfer (http://www.ntra.com/stats_bios.aspx?id=17323) racing at either venue.

Hunter's Rest
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:05 PM
But Glimmerg. - are you going to set up a rendez vous with me and JSwan et al or what? JSwan made a terrific Warrenton lunch meeting once before - sure she/we could do it again, in your honor ...
Who has Stephenwolfer? Most excellent. Rochester was amazing, but I've not seen him since he broke his timber maiden at Foxfield.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 1, 2009, 04:41 PM
But Glimmerg. - are you going to set up a rendez vous with me and JSwan et al or what?

Undoubtedly that would be quite lovely. My wife however is making the bulk of the arrangements for the weekend and has been somewhat mysterious in her plans. So I'm not sure what has already been "locked up" for time that weekend. I'll check with her and see what she has made plans for.

Steppenwolfer was sold in late Spring of this year to Polaris Stables (who as you know own among others 'Preemptive Strike') and trainer Sanna N. Hendriks with Sean Clancy having a hand in the transaction. I should've asked Jonathan Sheppard about Rochester when I was standing next to him at Arlington Park. He was a bit more focused on his horse winning the big featured race at the time though :)

Alibhai's Alibar
Sep. 1, 2009, 04:47 PM
Great news- thanks for posting! I'll be sure to share the info with my buddies.

texang73
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:01 AM
I plan on being there and would love to have a CoTH meet up! What say you all?

Also, where's the best place for general admission parking? South? North? The last time I was there I was with Hunter's Rest and got some special privileges! :cool:

LexInVA
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:51 AM
It is *not* NBC but one of their baby sports affiliates.
Universal does *not* air in Virignia, alas, but does in Md. and DC.

Not true at all my dear Betsy! The channel is not only available in the DC-Metro area through the cable providers but it's broadcast over the air by the local NBC affiliate. So, God forbid you break both legs and are stuck at home, you could watch it from the comfort of your living room with rabbit ears or in the atmosphere of a local sports bar.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 14, 2009, 11:20 AM
As an aside it was sad to read that Little Eveglades Steeplechase is cancelled for 2010 (http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/little-everglades-steeplechase-canceled-for-2010/1035546), M/M Bob Blanchard lost Mercedes-Benz as the signature sponsor.

Already LES butted heads with the NSA and pulled out of being sanctioned while the NSA backed and upstart 'chasing event in Palm Beach. (http://www.palmbeachsteeplechase.com/pages/index.cfm?pagesID=37)

Video of the LE in years past (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=811VFFEQsGw)

Hunter's Rest
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:23 PM
Lex - the info on Universal 'not' being in Virginia came from the Int'l Gold Cup peeps themselves.
????

LexInVA
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:43 PM
Well, they were misinformed or simply uninformed. I got it straight from the network.

Over the air is 4.3
Verizon FIOS is 464
RCN Cable is 29
Cox Communications Digital Cable is 807
Comcast Cable is 207

Glimmerglass
Sep. 18, 2009, 04:48 PM
TVG will carry this new day of steeplechasing live, but hey if you're in New Jesey why not check it out yourself?

Monmouth Park-Meridian Health Steeplechase Festival (http://www.meridiansteeplechase.com/)

Saturday Sept 26, 2009 which is the first time in almost 15-years that 'chasing will be held at Monmouth Park (NJ)

The day begins at Monmouth Park with traditional flat races, followed by steeplechase races. Plans call for six jump races as part of a full day of racing and other activities at Monmouth Park in Oceanport, New Jersey. Potential starters include stakes winners Slip Away, Best Attack, Four Schools, Swagger Stick, Left Unsaid, Seer, Dynaskill and Moon Dolly.

Presented in partnership with the National Steeplechase Association and Monmouth Park. Proceeds benefiting patient care programs supported through the Meridian Health Foundation.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 21, 2009, 11:38 AM
I inquired about Steppenwolfer and his fall racing debut.

The plan (as it stands now) will be run him on the flat at Foxfield (Sep 27) (http://www.foxfieldraces.com/) and then just maybe in the maiden at the New Jersey half (Far Hills) of the Steeplechase Championship day.

(Entries for Foxfield close tomorrow - Sep 22nd)

Steppenwolfer was sold in late Spring of this year to Polaris Stables (who as you know own among others 'Preemptive Strike') and trainer Sanna N. Hendriks with Sean Clancy having a hand in the transaction.

For Mixed Up it looks like the wheels have fallen off on his quest to be the next Good Night Shirt. In Sunday's (9-20) Lonesome Glory Hurdle S. (NSA-G1) (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/news/article.cgi?id=16280) at Belmont Park he finished dead last. Although the race was won by a 21-1 long shot Red Letter Day. Sermon of Love finished 2nd to last.

DRF Race Replay: Lonesome Glory Hurdle Stakes (http://www.drf.com/replays/savedreplays.jsp?RACE=174)

SteeleRdr
Sep. 21, 2009, 04:45 PM
Of note, Glim, did you see that Ken McPeek is going to give it a try over jumps? He's got a maiden hurdler for Foxfield, friend of mine rode the horse for him this summer.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 21, 2009, 05:56 PM
Of note, Glim, did you see that Ken McPeek is going to give it a try over jumps? He's got a maiden hurdler for Foxfield, friend of mine rode the horse for him this summer.

I haven't but I'll be sure to look for him when the etries come out.

A lot more trainers and owners seemingly are exploring the option of chasing as a second career for good horses that just aren't cutting it on the track. Plus as the NSA gets more linked with the wagering outlets there is possibly going to be more money for purses. The fact that the Ramsey's have chasers (http://www.ramseyfarm.com/ramseys.shtml) - something I never thought I'd see - says a lot.

SteeleRdr
Sep. 21, 2009, 06:13 PM
http://www.st-publishing.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=995&Itemid=73

Here's the little blurb I saw today. Old Man Buck is scheduled to use Foxfield just as a school/learning experience.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 23, 2009, 10:21 AM
SteeleRider - very cool with Old Man Buck

Foxfield 32nd Annual Fall (9-27) Races (pdf) (http://www.nationalsteeplechase.com/post/entries/Foxfield_Fall.pdf)

Race 2 Training Flat. 1-1/16 Miles on the Turf.
Horse 1: Steppenwolfer with Jodie Petty up for Polaris Stables

Rae 5 Purse $15,000. Maiden Hurdle. 2-1/8 Miles over National Fences
Horse 1: Old Man Buck with J Roberts up

LIVE STREAMING VIDEO OF FOXFIELD FALL RACES

The NSA and Foxfield Fall Races will conduct live streaming video of the Foxfield Races on their websites on Sunday, September 27. Viewers will be able to see all the live action with post time for the first race at 1:30 p.m.

To view the races, go to the NSA's website, www.nationalsteeplechase.com or Foxfield's website, www.foxfieldraces.com and click on the link on the homepage.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 24, 2009, 11:04 AM
Looks like the NSA is going ahead with their own wagering system in less then a week ...

National Steeplechase Assoc (http://www.nationalsteeplechase.com/index.html)

On Monday, September 28, the NSA is launching its own wagering platform at jump2bet.com . Fans will be able to wager on selected racetracks around the country, with additional tracks being added in the coming weeks. We hope to be able to offer wagering on all the nation’s top thoroughbred racetracks, in addition to a variety of steeplechase venues, in the future. Watch live video streams and view full program information, such as odds and changes, and see race replays and archives for free.

Jump2Bet.com, specifically, is a promotional gateway for eBet Technologies, Inc, which is incorporated in the State of Nevada and is licensed as a Multi-Jurisdictional Account Wagering Hub, regulated through the State of Oregon under the rules and laws of the State of Oregon and the United States of America.

I wonder if the goal is more to help fund (if not fatten up) the purses or simply to energize more would-be fans and horse racing attention. You'd think the NSA would pitch a deal with say TVG to get the same end result.

Drvmb1ggl3
Sep. 24, 2009, 11:43 AM
Wow, bold move by the NSA, and long overdue. Here's the website www.jump2bet.com.
I imagine though that meets in states with no parimutuel wagering, Carolinas, Tennessee etc will still be off limits. I also don't see them attracting many meat and potatoes bettors, given the historical apathy and aversion US bettors have towards handicapping and betting on jump races. It'll be interesting to see what kind of handle it generates, any thing is better than nothing. I wonder if that also means on-track parimutuel will now also be available at many of these meets?
The live video and replays in and off itself make it worthwhile signing up.

SteeleRdr
Oct. 5, 2009, 04:35 PM
Looks like I'll definitely be at the Int'l Gold Cup. The defending winner of the Old Dominion Turf race will be coming back, not with us, but another trainer, as the trainer I work for just didn't have the time for the horse at the moment.

I'll be there with I'm Telling and Maximize, who both won this weekend at Middleburg. Pulled huge upsets.

Hunter's Rest
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:30 PM
OMG I'm Telling was amazing. So was Maximize.
Look for huge efforts (Read -- betting opportunity!) at Gold Cup.

SteeleRdr
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:45 PM
HR-

Do you know if any of the other photographers from yesterday have websites? I know Susan and Sarah both couldn't make it.

As for Telly, not bad for the horse who none of the jockeys would ride in the Spring before Jacob took the ride!

texang73
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:07 AM
OMG I'm Telling was amazing. So was Maximize.
Look for huge efforts (Read -- betting opportunity!) at Gold Cup.

I can't wait to see them!! :D

Hunter's Rest
Oct. 6, 2009, 06:07 PM
I got pix - see them on virginiaequestrian.com and here on fb and (eventually) central entry

Hunter's Rest
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:03 PM
Ok. Looks like TexAng is coming in for the IGC races. We're meeting up at my place and coming over around noon. First race is just after 1, I think.
Looks like (and, seriously, no offense intended; I'm just whining) that GlimmerG does not want to meet up with us. :o( We/I have made repeated offers to get together but to no avail.
JSwan, WateryG, etc. whoever wants to, we'll do a paddock rendezvous before hte first race. How about meet up at the entrance from the winners circle to the stewards stand enclosure? Its manned by a cop, but you can ask for me (Betsy Parker) or look for TexAng and a gaggle of fetching friends.
Hope to see lots of folks there!

SteeleRdr
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:13 PM
I won't be able to make it to the paddock before the first race between getting everything set and making sure my horses are ready, but I'll be in the paddock during the post for the 1st race. I've got one in the first race (Mighty Valdiar) and one in the second (I'm Telling). Here's to everything going ok!

Glimmerglass
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:32 PM
First race is just after 1, I think.
Looks like (and, seriously, no offense intended; I'm just whining) that GlimmerG does not want to meet up with us. :o(

Not true as I'm happy to meet and greet with everyone. I am however staying very close by (The Plains) so for us we're likely to go at our leisure with getting down to Great Meadows late in the morning. We have dinner at Goodstone that evening so at best we're trying to guess how congested it will be and how much time we have to account for getting in and out.

It looks like mother nature is not going to cooperate as it will be chilly and most likely raining.

Applicable more to those watching the race on tv in the States or internationally and interested with the New Jersey portion of the races:

Woodbine Entertainment Group (WEG) has entered into an agreement with the National Steeplechase Association (NSA) to host the pari-mutuel pools on the six hurdle races from the Far Hills Race Meeting that will comprise the inaugural U.S. Steeplechase Championships Oct. 17.

The six events being conducted in Far Hills, N.J., will be combined with five races from the International Gold Cup in The Plains, Va., to form the first Championship Day and will be featured on a live five-hour broadcast by NBC Universal Sports and on www.universalsports.com .

Races on the Far Hills card will be broadcast internationally in the United Kingdom and Ireland on the dedicated horse racing channel “At The Races”. Simulcast coverage will also extend the European audience with Satellite Information Services distribution into off-track betting outlets in Germany, as well as the UK and Ireland.

America’s top jumpers will compete in races worth $550,000 in prize money. Highlight of the day will be the Grade I American Grand National, the nation’s premier race, for a $250,000 purse over 14 fences.

The race program will attract the very best jumping horses in training and includes prospective champions in several National Steeplechase Association divisions, from Three-Year-Olds to Novices to Open horses.

The following is the schedule for U.S. Championship Day (all times EDT):
12:50 pm Peapack (Filly & Mare Hurdle Stakes) 2m1f (turf) $ 50,000
1:30 pm Harry E. Harris (Maiden Hurdle Stakes) 2m1f (turf) $ 50,000
2:15 pm Appleton (Restricted Hurdle Stakes) 2m1f (turf) $ 50,000
3:00 pm Foxbrook (Novice Hurdle Stakes) 2m4f (turf) $100,000
3:55 pm Grand National (Gr. I Hurdle Stakes) 2m5f (turf) $250,000
4:40 pm Gladstone (Three-Year-Old Hurdle Stakes) 2m1f (turf) $ 50,000

I assume the entries and details at Great Meadows will be released soon.

Hunter's Rest
Oct. 13, 2009, 06:13 PM
Great Meadow. Singular. One meadow. :o)

Glimmerglass
Oct. 14, 2009, 08:52 AM
So noted with the singular Meadow. I swear on John S. Mosby's grave I'll never get that wrong again! ;)

The entries:

(pdf) 26th Annual Int'l Gold Cup (VA) - Oct 17, 2009 - entries (http://www.nationalsteeplechase.com/post/entries/International%20Gold%20Cup.pdf)

(pdf) 88th Annual Far Hills Meeting (NJ) - Oct 17, 2009 - entries (http://www.nationalsteeplechase.com/post/entries/Far%20Hills.pdf)

Note that the 2nd race in NJ is The Harry E. Harris Sport of Kings Maiden Hurdle Stakes. 2-1/8 Miles over National Fences with Old Man Buck and Steppenwolfer

Wagering - with the new NSA partnered online system - will be offered only for the New Jersey races: per the NSA/DRF (http://www.drf.com/news/article/107914.html)

Bettors will be able to make win, place, show, exacta, and trifecta wagers on six steeplechase races at Far Hills, N.J., on Oct. 17 as part of an effort by the National Steeplechase Association to package 11 races into what it is calling the U.S. Steeplechase Championships, according to officials of the association.

Takeout for win-place-show bets will be 16.8 percent. Takeout on exactas and one daily double linking the first two races will be 24.8 percent, and takeout on trifectas will be 27.8 percent.

Wagering will be limited to the Far Hill races because of a concern by the NSA about the familiarity of bettors with the types of races being offered on the Virginia card, which includes races over timber and a race called a steeplethon, according to Lou Raffetto, the chief executive officer of the NSA. This is the first year that the NSA has packaged the races together and offered bets on them.

Universal Sports - coverage at 11:50 AM EST (http://www.universalsports.com/mediaPlayer/media.dbml?id=372173&catid=-2&sid=11665&db_oem_id=23000)

Again to find NBC's Universal Sports (listed as "US" on my cable listings) on your cable package try this search feature (http://www.universalsports.com/fls/23000/tv/where-to-find-on-tv.html)

SteeleRdr
Oct. 14, 2009, 01:59 PM
Well, looks like the impending rains have put a damper on our racing already. We decided last night to scratch the steeplethon horse because of the footing. We'll see where he goes next, possibly PA.

Larksmom
Oct. 16, 2009, 03:45 PM
Well, I don't know how they can do it, and I do not really trust the TVG or HRTV tv guides, [as TVG advertised the Arc, but it was shown live on HRTV, go figure...] but HRTV is proclaiming that they will be showing the steeplechase races live tomorrow!
Does anyone know anything abouut that?

Amyy
Oct. 17, 2009, 11:52 AM
hmm the video isn't coming up on universal sports, anyone else having trouble?

ETA: nevermind, I guess I'm too impatient, it's working fine now

Mali
Oct. 17, 2009, 12:36 PM
They did just announce that they will be televising the Far Hills Grand National. No mention of any of the other races though.:(

Liberty
Oct. 17, 2009, 12:43 PM
The races in NJ have a live video feed going on right now on the Gold Cup website:
http://www.vagoldcup.com/main.cfm

First race is getting ready to start!

Don't know if they'll switch to the GC races here in VA at Great Meadow.

Liberty
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:00 PM
Sounds like they will be switching over to Great Meadow with the live video. First race at GM will be in another 10 minutes (1:10 pm).

Mali
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:25 PM
So glad I opted to stay home instead of trek down to The Plains! It looks just as miserable there, as it does at home:eek:

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:39 PM
Steppenwolfer well beaten, was out of gas a half mile from home when they quickened.

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:40 PM
Btw, FANTASTIC coverage, great camera work, M. Johnson calling the races!!!
Kudos to the NSA!!!

Barnfairy
Oct. 17, 2009, 03:18 PM
You The Man, wiped out and lost his jock, yet still got up to follow the field at a sensible pace, taking most of the jumps til he veered off towards the end...:sadsmile:...God I love horses.

The more I hear Mark Johnson, the more I like him.

Can't believe the weather is nicer here at my house than there.

Calico
Oct. 17, 2009, 04:55 PM
What fun! Kudos to the production crew, the NSA, the horsemen, the horses, and NBC US.

Mali
Oct. 17, 2009, 05:00 PM
Yes, super super coverage! I hardly left the computer at all! I hope they continue this type of coverage for future races! Big thumbs up!

Liberty
Oct. 17, 2009, 07:29 PM
Yes, super super coverage! I hardly left the computer at all! I hope they continue this type of coverage for future races! Big thumbs up!

Ditto! I was watching from the video feed on the VA Gold Cup website, and it was fantastic. However, I did consider turning it off after seeing those horses fall in the first (Gold Cup) race. The footing was obviously pretty slick. The NJ race grounds seemed to have a slight bit better weather and footing.

I was thinking, at the time, how horrible the weather was, but I just came in from the barn, and it's much worse outside now. I'm just glad Mother Nature held off on the heavier rain until evening.

Hunter's Rest
Oct. 18, 2009, 08:17 AM
Gold Cup races were terrific, made only more so by hte live feed from Far Hills. The only way we stayed sane at IGC was to *see* that it was even worse weather in NJ. God, I was freezing by the first race.
Superb racing -- Jeff Murphy *owns* Great Meadow. What a wonderful rider he is.
Saw TexAng but no one else. ??!! We'd already written off GlimmerG. as a phantom but wonder where you other Va. peeps were? (Snug in bed with someone you love (or at least someone you like) at home, I hope.)

LJ1972
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:30 AM
We spent a lousy weather day here in NJ, watching the steeplechases! It was great coverage, especially considering the bad weather. The switching back and forth between the 2 venues went very smoothly. We get the US sports channel over-the-air, with our digital converter box. Earlier this year they were airing grand prix jumping, and also dressage. It is really nice to have a channel that will air equestrian sports, finally. The steeplechasing made me so happy I will quit complaining about the endless hours of bicycle races they usually show...:winkgrin:

texang73
Oct. 18, 2009, 08:32 PM
As Hunter's Rest said, the races were great, despite the cold and wet. But yes it was better than Far Hills!

Was great fun to see HR and watch the races. I LURVE Jeff Murphy! :D

I really truly had a great time, it was awesome to back in my beloved NoVA.

SteeleRdr
Oct. 19, 2009, 02:02 PM
Great to see you HR and talk a bit.

We had a horrible day ourselves.

It was great to see Jeff get both rides for Jack, and WIN! Skillfully ridden on both Major Malibu and Seeyouattheevent.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 19, 2009, 06:10 PM
If someone did a rain dance to result in Saturday's wretched weather I'd appreciate it if you'd send me their name and address as I'll be sure to return the favor sometime :D To those whom I didn't get to meet maybe next year a plan can be made.

It truly was a cold and wet day but those who came made the most of it which is what matters most. We parked in Section 9 but had opted for Member Hill tix the day before so we were fortunate to see the saddling, presentation, and go by the more corporate tents. Clearly on a perfect fall day of 70-degree temps you can see why it pulls in 25k+ Although a lot of very pricy tents, reserved spaces, et al were in large part embarrassingly (IMHO) empty.

I suppose in any other year the Member Hill upsell would be beneficial however after the first race we retreated to our corner of the world never to return. We brought our boxed lunch from Forlano's - yum, yum! Plus we had meet some folks from the Inn who each year have a railside tent and then met others in from Baltimore who were a hoot. I managed to get several good shots with my camera despite getting a bit soaked and chilled to the bone. Luckily a couple bottles of wine and a nice prosecco helped ward off whatever Mother Natural wrought.

In regards to the first race with the horse vanned off is he 'ok'? The tarp screen was up and seeing him hobble on the equine ambulance didn't look too good. I happened to watch the tv version on my DVR last night and it wasn't mentioned.

After seeing on of the tv show from home late last night I will give props to Universal on the tv broadcast for doing a good job on what is a tough day of sport to coordinate for the first time and with poor weather.

SteeleRdr
Oct. 19, 2009, 06:15 PM
Glim-

You have a PM regarding the horse in the first race.

Liberty
Oct. 19, 2009, 06:27 PM
...In regards to the first race with the horse vanned off is he 'ok'? The tarp screen was up and seeing him hobble on the equine ambulance didn't look too good. I happened to watch the tv version on my DVR last night and it wasn't mentioned...

I have been wondering (and worrying) about that one too. I was watching it live (via Goldcup website cam). Didn't see the actual fall, but noticed the horse down and struggling to get up; just a brief look since the camera was on the race. At race's end, announcer only mentioned two horses had gone down, but both were okay. No mention of that 3rd horse at all. :confused:

I had been hoping that horse was just having problems regaining footing on the slick ground, but reading your post, that evidently wasn't the case. :(

SteeleRdr
Oct. 19, 2009, 07:11 PM
I have been wondering (and worrying) about that one too. I was watching it live (via Goldcup website cam). Didn't see the actual fall, but noticed the horse down and struggling to get up; just a brief look since the camera was on the race. At race's end, announcer only mentioned two horses had gone down, but both were okay. No mention of that 3rd horse at all. :confused:

I had been hoping that horse was just having problems regaining footing on the slick ground, but reading your post, that evidently wasn't the case. :(

One horse went down on the turn to home (on the flat), and the other went down over the last hurdle. Only two fell in that race, not 3. I had heard from friends say they said that horse and rider were both up. The horse who fell after the fence was the horse I was running. I don't feel comfortable sharing details on a public forum.

LexInVA
Oct. 19, 2009, 07:41 PM
:(

Liberty
Oct. 19, 2009, 07:47 PM
I'm so sorry. :(

Mali
Oct. 19, 2009, 10:32 PM
One horse went down on the turn to home (on the flat), and the other went down over the last hurdle. Only two fell in that race, not 3. I had heard from friends say they said that horse and rider were both up. The horse who fell after the fence was the horse I was running. I don't feel comfortable sharing details on a public forum.

So sorry...but kudos to you for being so professional about it. I applaud your honor.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 20, 2009, 01:46 PM
A New Jersey paper cited that the numbers for Far Hills were around 21,000 (down from the 50k mark or so on a perfect fall day) and while I haven't seen any guestimates for Great Meadow I'll take a swag at it being 5,500.

Joe Clancy and the ST Times has this summary article - Oct 19, 2009 (http://www.st-publishing.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1043&Itemid=73)

excerpts

Dynaformer may someday be known as the best steeplechase sire in history. The Kentucky stallion produced Far Hills winners Left Unsaid and Ambersham, who combined to earn $130,000. In other acton at Far Hills, Tax Ruling finished third in the Grand National and Dynaskill placed second in the Peapack. Sire of Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro and a host of flat stars, Dynafomer puts stamina – and an affinity for demanding soft turf – into his progeny. Through October 23, the NSA top 10 includes three sons of Dynaformer (Left Unsaid, Tax Ruling and Dynaski).

The International Gold Cup could use its day. Putting two premier meets on the same day doesn’t help anyone, it cheapens the product and the sport can’t afford that.

Universal Sports television and Internet coverage helped the game. Period. The ST team spent the day at the races so we haven’t seen the show, but it had to be a good thing. Exposure is good, so is the type of camera coverage used at Far Hills. Finding a way to pay for that would go a long way.

American steeplechase participants seem to take it on the chin sometimes – and this is one of those times. Your Sum Man, Pierrot Lunaire, General Ledger, Ross Geraghty, Peter Buchanan and so on make it seem like any horse or jockey can come here from overseas and succeed. That’s not the case, even if the United States was built on opportunity. If the turf suddenly got firm for the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham, Mixed Up would be competitive. If Danielle Hodsdon could go to England and ride first-call for Paul Nicholls, she’d win races. Don’t hold a grudge, the invaders bring loads of talent and experience – and are only capitalizing on chances presented. But it sure would be nice to see some more homegrown success.

And the debacle of wagering as none of it transpired with the races in NJ (the Virginia ones were off the table to begin with) due to wagering licenses not having been ironed out.

The NSA tried to secure pari-mutuel wagering on the races at Far Hills, via a simulcast hub at Canada’s Woodbine Racecourse, but ran into problems with the New Jersey Racing Commission. The plan did not call for on-site betting, but the commission insisted that state law required a pari-mutuel license or permit. Discussions the week of the races did not make progress and the NJRC notified the NSA and simulcast sites of the issues via letter Friday. The wagering was canceled, but not before notifications appeared on account wagering sites and major racing publications. Steeplechasing can live without the betting, but could have done without the embarrassment.

And for those who watched the Universal Sports tv coverage or live internet coverage this was a true remark:

Mark Johnson can call races. The Englishman narrated the action at Far Hills into mini stories, complete with details of past races, jockey achievements and original phrases such as “from flag fall to that’s all.” Give him a win in his American steeplechase debut, but don’t forget Tony Bentley.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 21, 2009, 11:44 AM
A New Jersey paper cited that the numbers for Far Hills were around 21,000 (down from the 50k mark or so on a perfect fall day) ...

The Star-Ledger from 10-21-09 says "35,000" (http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.ssf/2009/10/25_arrested_at_far_hills_race.html) so it looks like it was better then initially reported. The downside for the Jersey event is that 25 were arrested for assorted minor crimes from public urination to DWI to disorderly conduct.