PDA

View Full Version : Dick Hertz or someone? Question on fees in PA

KBEquine
Aug. 19, 2009, 01:19 PM
What do trainers & jockeys earn from the purse in a race? I kinda remember a percentage for the winning trainer & jockey, but don't remember if its the same percentage for all placings & where the mount fee begins for losing jockeys, or what it is, and what, if anything other than the day-rate, do losing trainers get?

I was specifically curious about Penn, but would be interested in the rates at other tracks, too.

lily04
Aug. 19, 2009, 01:31 PM
I race at both PN and PP and get 10% across the board + expenses for the day ($1.00per mile shipping, lead pony, groom to take horse to paddock and any extra bandages other than 2 hind rundowns)on top of day rate.

Las Olas
Aug. 19, 2009, 02:08 PM
I pay 20%, plus day rate ($70/day) and expenses, to my trainer who travels from Presque Isle, to KY, then to FL for the winter. From what I've heard, he's expensive for PID, but he's cheap for KY/FL, so I guess it averages out over the year.

KBEquine
Aug. 19, 2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks to you both - I don't think I asked the question right - although I hope others keep posting the kind of information you did because I need it too! :) In fact, it was going to be my next question.

But my original question was intended to be a track-mandated (or racing commission mandated) fee. I thought in the condition book or somewhere, it spelled out what percentage of the purse goes to the trainer & jockey for certain placings & what the mount fee was for a losing mount (and whether that kicks in right at 2nd place or somewhere lower) and whether there's a "losing trainer" fee, in addition to that agreed between the owner & trainer.

I was thinking there was something that automatically came out of the owner's horseman's account.

Laurierace
Aug. 19, 2009, 02:51 PM
I wish there was a losing trainer fee. I would be rich! There is no money that comes from the track to the trainer win, lose or draw. That is solely between the owner and trainer. Of course if the owner is the trainer then you are doubly screwed.

DickHertz
Aug. 19, 2009, 03:13 PM
Jockeys get $75 for any losing mount. Jocks who finish 1st get 10% of the owner's share of the purse which is 60% of the total purse ($10k purse, $6k to winner, $600 to jockey). Jockeys also get 5% of the owner's share for 2nd place in all races and even for 3rd place if the purse is large enough.

Trainers cut their own deal, but most do 10% of 1st-3rd. Owners who have been around a long time aren't going to pay the trainer $45 for their 5th place finish which they get $450 before jocks mount.

lily04
Aug. 19, 2009, 04:04 PM
When I used to run at Monmouth Park the track deducted my 10% from the owners account and payed it to the trainer for winners. I don't know if they still do this but is was nice that you knew you would at least not have to wait for it to be payed with day rate.

KBEquine
Aug. 19, 2009, 04:17 PM
When I used to run at Monmouth Park the track deducted my 10% from the owners account and payed it to the trainer for winners. I don't know if they still do this but is was nice that you knew you would at least not have to wait for it to be payed with day rate.

Maybe I was thinking about Monmouth or some other track, then.

This has all been very useful & I appreciate it.