PDA

View Full Version : USEF Committees meet to hear regrets over selection process

ridgeback
Aug. 19, 2009, 12:11 PM
http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=2898

USEF Committees Nominating New American Dressage Chef d’Equipe/National Coach Meet, Hear Regrets Over Selection Process

Eclectic Horseman
Aug. 19, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hurray for Ranhousen for speaking up.

I must say that the selection process left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Many years ago an employer of mine decided to make an "affirmative action" hire, and announced that there would be another person hired as well who would do the actual work. :eek: :no:

Probably because of that memory, all I could think of when the hiring of two individuals for the dressage team was mentioned was that TPTB did not have confidence that an American woman could do the job so they needed to hire a european with different genitalia as well.

I have absolute faith that Anne Gribbons can do a great job ,and I thought that consideration of splitting the postion in two was insulting to her.

canyonoak
Aug. 19, 2009, 12:30 PM
SO.... the word "coach" has been struck from the lexicon, but now is back.

The Eligible Athlete's Committee wanted two people but now miraculously have always wanted one person (this is a parallel universe we are living in, I guess.)

Confidentiality is important. But then, feh. Transparency is the name of the game, so long as all the information comes from a designated source.

As for the job being only for one person--I guess that is news to Holland who have managed, in their tiny country where dressage is truly a buisiness-sport and popular and growing, to divide the duties between Sjef Janssen as coach (one word) and Mariette Sanders as technical advisor (two words).

Not to mention of course, a complete strategy plan which includes sponsorship, other coaches, and enormous support for the athletes.

What a silly silly charade.

Good luck to our riders and the horses.

Tiligsmom
Aug. 19, 2009, 12:56 PM
This "source" of dressage "news" sounds/feels more like a tabloid than a journalistic site. Again, I'm suspect of this site's focus and journalistic intent :rolleyes:

ridgeback
Aug. 19, 2009, 01:14 PM
This "source" of dressage "news" sounds/feels more like a tabloid than a journalistic site. Again, I'm suspect of this site's focus and journalistic intent :rolleyes:

Not me I think some of the others are to political...to worried they may step on some toes.

CanyonOak we are not the Netherlands like I've said before if we were to put ALL our horse people in the state of Maryland(the size of the netherlands) even they wouldn't be able to beat us:D

claire
Aug. 19, 2009, 01:55 PM
Dover confirmed to dressage-news.com, however, that he has sent an application to the Canadian Equestrian Federation seeking to become their national coach. The Canadian federation is scheduling interviews with applicants next month.

And this: :confused:

Several members of the committees made it clear that they believe that instead of funds being allocated to several coaches, the money might better be spent in grants for elite riders with trainers of their choice. None of the elite riders likely to seek to ride for the U.S. at the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games in Kentucky train with Gribbons or the other trainers whose names have been associated with her coaching program.

Eclectic Horseman
Aug. 19, 2009, 02:12 PM
As for the job being only for one person--I guess that is news to Holland who have managed, in their tiny country where dressage is truly a buisiness-sport and popular and growing, to divide the duties between Sjef Janssen as coach (one word) and Mariette Sanders as technical advisor (two words).

In the abstract, there is nothing wrong with having two jobs filled by two qualified individuals. If they had advertised for two separate positions, it would not create the same perception of impropriety. It is changing the rules in the middle of the game that smacks of unfair dealing.

Sabine
Aug. 19, 2009, 04:11 PM
In the abstract, there is nothing wrong with having two jobs filled by two qualified individuals. If they had advertised for two separate positions, it would not create the same perception of impropriety. It is changing the rules in the middle of the game that smacks of unfair dealing.

it's not unfair- it's highly political- to the point where it is nauseating. I am with Oakie that we need 2 to do this job- and Gribbons would have been a good admin/diplomat and be well suited for that position. As a national coach- I believe we could have at least chosen someone that actually competed at the GP championship level, which she never did.

Thus her impact will be limited- and although she is quickly asking Debbie and Lendon to the rescue- I am hesitant to believe that this was the best choice for the US as a whole.

It shows once again that the core system is not properly representing the knowlege/needs/interests of our top riders...and why do we need this position in the first place- if not to serve our top 20 riders...

Equibrit
Aug. 19, 2009, 04:21 PM
This could all be pure fiction. Why would you believe what this person says ? He needs to take a job with the National Enquirer.

carovet
Aug. 19, 2009, 04:24 PM
and of course there might have been additional highly qualified candidates that did not apply because though they would be highly interested in only 1/2 of the position but not qualified for or interested in the other 1/2 of the position.

i do think there is great value in having anne (or robert or...) anyone who is interested in looking at the whole program and creating a cadre of developing horses and riders while maximizing the performance of the riders who are already at the elite level.

the limitation of grants for the elite riders and no general coach is that there is not enough money to fund grants for 20 horses and riders and then for sure nothing left over to develop the just below group

as coaching goes for the elite riders, I think they know their weak points and should have significant input into who they would as a group value as a coach/ground person/etc...and the top 3-4 still benefit from someone they respect, even if it isn't their first pick

imo it might be best suited to a 2 person job, but it is a shame that they didn't let that be known to widen the applicant pool when they decided it was an option

I would very much like to see a full time coach simply to create more training days available to those who are just outside of the elite pool but have the requisite quality of horse and rider to be able to step up with the right help

egontoast
Aug. 19, 2009, 04:47 PM
That site appears to be consistent in its pro- Dover anti-Gribbons bias.

Tiligsmom
Aug. 19, 2009, 10:36 PM
This could all be pure fiction. Why would you believe what this person says ? He needs to take a job with the National Enquirer.

Agree! This "source" is clearly Pro - Dover and the "reporting" is badly skewed! Much more aligned with the veracity of the National Enquirer :eek:

ridgeback
Aug. 19, 2009, 11:06 PM
Agree! This "source" is clearly Pro - Dover and the "reporting" is badly skewed! Much more aligned with the veracity of the National Enquirer :eek:

Hardly!

Velvet
Aug. 20, 2009, 12:56 AM
If they allow the riders to train with other people they've already been working with, so much the better. The coach for our team has been a figure head for years. The riders always work with someone of their choosing and occasionally work with the coach as a sign that they are doing what is required of them to be a part of the team. We were lucky with a few that were very good and many of the riders wanted to train with them, but since it's mostly a position for someone who knows the international judges and likes to stand around and offer support to the team members at competitions, I think they picked the right person. She has those connections.

I have a feeling that if Dover was in the position of Chef d'Equippe, it would end up being all about him training everyone and no one would be allowed to work with their coaches, who by the way were the ones that got them to the level where they could qualify for the team.

Then again, that's JMHO. :D

eggbutt
Aug. 21, 2009, 11:43 AM
Politics? In dressage? Really? Gosh, I'm so surprised!:winkgrin:

Best wishes to Gribbons for the US as well as to Dover for Canada (should he win that post).:yes::yes::yes: