PDA

View Full Version : Dressage saddle for wide + high withers

NewbieEventer
Aug. 19, 2009, 10:31 AM
I am having a hard time finding a saddle that has enough wither-clearance and doesn't pinch on the sides of the withers. The saddles I've tried with ample vertical wither clearance all pinch on the sides. I don't mind spending the money on a saddle that fits, but over $5k for a custom is probably not in my future. All suggestions greatly appreciated :yes:

TropicalStorm
Aug. 19, 2009, 11:09 AM
maybe a used schleese that they could customize?

JB
Aug. 19, 2009, 11:35 AM
Amerigo/Vega

Home Again Farm
Aug. 19, 2009, 11:47 AM
Another vote for Schleese. Maybe you can get a demo model and have it redone a bit.

jn4jenny
Aug. 19, 2009, 11:57 AM
A friend of mine has a horse like this--the wither is sort of more like a "hump", very wide and very tall/long. The only saddle she's found to accommodate it was the Amerigo Pinerolo Alto in XW.

CamdenLab
Aug. 19, 2009, 12:47 PM
I have an older Rembrandt with adjustable gullet that I really love. It's not quite a sofa like the newer dressage saddles, so if that is your style you may not like it. They are well-made saddles, so the older ones, as long as they were taken care of, look great. They sell for about $1000 (used, of course). My saddle fit my friend's stocky Hanovarian, my TB and now my daughter's broad, high-withered paint.

HollysHobbies
Aug. 19, 2009, 05:06 PM
Is your horse a true wide? Luc Childerics come MW and a very generous around the withers. I love mine.