PDA

View Full Version : Reesinks vs. Spielberg case over!!

canyonoak
Aug. 19, 2009, 10:29 AM
The long drawn-out court battle between the Spielbergs and the Reesinks is finally over.
Both sides agreed to whatever,part of the settlement is there will be NO public discussion of the case by either side.

http://www.bokt.nl/forums/viewtopic.php?sid=31d3bcc603912afe2ee1f1494fbe5496&f=11&t=1156904

alicen
Aug. 19, 2009, 11:21 AM
Oh, goody, goody! Now the public will be able to run amok with speculation unhindered by any pesky facts.

Calhoun
Aug. 19, 2009, 05:26 PM
If Spielberg's end up with a new horse, we'll know what happened.

canyonoak
Aug. 25, 2009, 11:39 AM
de Hoefslag reports a few details...

http://www.dehoefslag.nl/news.asp?id=4355

<< a lot of lawsuits followed where drew Capshaw always to the shortest end. Eventually the American seizure let lay on the forty horses of Reesink Horses. Because of this the trade stable from Eibergen damage suffered. The court of Zutphen brushed aside the seizure in June and stipulated that Capshaw had pay back damage.>>

Wow...I wonder who would be crazy enough to sell them a horse now.

whicker
Aug. 25, 2009, 02:22 PM
would someone please explain? I don't know dutch or how to translate the link. Help!?

canyonoak
Aug. 25, 2009, 05:51 PM
Basically, the article says that the horse was sold to Mrs. Spielberg (Kate Capshaw) who returned the horse less than 2 months later saying it was lame.
A lawsuit was then initiated, claiming the Spielbergs had been sold the horse under false pretenses,etc etc.

Because the horse had THREE pre-purchase vet checks, including one the day the horse was put on the plane to US, the courts kept finding in favor of the sellers, the Reesinks.

Nevertheless, the Spielberg lawyers kept filing suits, including an injunction of some sort to prevent the Reesinks from selling any horses until this case was decided and over.

SO now, the final court decision was handed down: the Spielbergs have to pay damages to the Reesinks for all the money lost on this case and from not being able to sell horses or conduct any business.

All other details are to be kept private by both sides.

Calhoun
Aug. 25, 2009, 06:15 PM
I hope Mr. Film Director is a sympathic horse husband. My husband's head would be spinning on his neck like Linda Blair.

Mardi
Aug. 25, 2009, 07:15 PM
At least your husband would know about the purchase !

I've heard of husbands not having any clue that their dear wife had bought a new horse, until the pre-purchase bill from the vet came in the mail.

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 25, 2009, 07:48 PM

I've heard of husbands not having any clue that their dear wife had bought a new horse, until the pre-purchase bill from the vet came in the mail.

If the wife is paying for the horse, what difference does that make? I don't think my husband has any idea how many horses I have.

crazyhorses
Aug. 25, 2009, 07:57 PM
Since I can't read that... lol... This does not involve anyone named Justin does it?

magnum
Dec. 27, 2011, 03:30 PM
So, WAR HORSE ... the new Speilberg release. Maybe that helped cover the legal bills ?

eurodressage
Dec. 27, 2011, 04:09 PM
I'm a bit surprised that this topic was presented as "new" news.. because it was actually back in august 2009 that Reesink won the lawsuit against Old Dogwood...

Here's some detailed info on how it all started
http://www.eurodressage.com/equestrian/2008/02/22/rich-american-continues-sue-reesink-horses

Not entirely sure but I think Old Dogwood appealed three to four times and lost all appeals.. The only one who rich out of this whole thing is lawyer Schelstraete who represented Old Dogwood ;)

Kareen
Dec. 27, 2011, 04:27 PM
Lawyers have got to make a living too... I hope the industry and all parties involved will recover quickly and learn their lesson. Spielbergs should probably stick to objects less risky and unpredictable than life animals and Reesinks might want to be more careful in the selection of prospective buyers *lol*
I feel sorry for all the hard feelings and financial losses certainly involved on both sides. Never going to lead anywhere... At least it's over now and life will hopefully go on :)

Dune
Dec. 28, 2011, 11:44 AM

If the wife is paying for the horse, what difference does that make? I don't think my husband has any idea how many horses I have.

Exactly! Who cares?? Heck, I've bought/sold horses before my husband even heard about them, not sure he knows how many I have this very moment either. I call it protecting his heart. :winkgrin:

SillyHorse
Dec. 28, 2011, 12:31 PM
And keeping his brain from exploding, too. :lol:

cadance
Dec. 28, 2011, 01:19 PM
SO now, the final court decision was handed down: the Spielbergs have to pay damages to the Reesinks for all the money lost on this case and from not being able to sell horses or conduct any business.

Ahhhhahaha this is just too awesome. I feel bad for the Reesinks and all the losses and damages they suffered as a result of this, but its nice to see for once that Hollywood doesn't always prevail in legal situations. It sounds like Mrs. Spielberg was a little overconfident (and totally ignorant to the facts of the case- THREE prepurchase exams and she thought she had a chance in h3ll at winning this?) in her team's ability to win such a frivolous case.

SnicklefritzG
Dec. 28, 2011, 01:59 PM
What I find appalling in all of this is how the spielburg legal team could prevent the reesinks from doing business while the case was ongoing. How on earth was that possible? I would have thought the case would have been confined to the one horse in question. Most individuals would just be going for a refund of the purchase price or associated expenses (nevermind whether they are justified or not). Her vindictiveness is disgusting

Mardi
Dec. 29, 2011, 10:57 PM
Exactly! Who cares?? Heck, I've bought/sold horses before my husband even heard about them, not sure he knows how many I have this very moment either. I call it protecting his heart. :winkgrin:

The vet cares when the husband calls her and says "What the ----- is this pre-purchase bill for ????"

BetterOffRed
Dec. 29, 2011, 11:05 PM

I've heard of some pre-purchase vet bills being sent to a post office box the husband doesn't know about. :eek:

Coreene
Dec. 29, 2011, 11:44 PM
Someone please explain to me why this old thread was bumped up?

Dune
Dec. 30, 2011, 10:54 AM
The vet cares when the husband calls her and says "What the ----- is this pre-purchase bill for ????"

Without asking his wife about it first? Doubt it. :no: Husbands of horse owning wives know better than that. :lol:

Bats79
Jan. 1, 2012, 09:24 AM
Someone please explain to me why this old thread was bumped up?

Apparently out of interest to know whether the Spielberg movie "war horse" might make enough profit to pay the legal bill for the "dressage horse".

Or some such nonsense. :)

Mardi
Jan. 12, 2012, 01:27 AM
Without asking his wife about it first? Doubt it. :no: Husbands of horse owning wives know better than that. :lol:

Welll....when the wife is out of state at a BNT's barn, and the pre-purchase vet bill is mailed to the home front where husband is, and he opens the mail... things like that can happen. :)

Lord Helpus
Jan. 12, 2012, 10:45 AM
Oh, come on. Kate Capshaw could buy this horse 10 times over without asking her husband for the money.

This is not a case of the wifey having to ask her hubby for money or permission.

However, it does remind me of the Bruce Springsteen purchase/renege of the GP jumper he wasy buying for his daughter Jessica. He claimed, too, that the horse was not as represented and refused to consumate the sale.

Since then, the horse (whose name I am having a senior moment on) has gone on to win many Grand Prix jumper events with his owner/rider.

I might be getting worried about selling an expensive horse to an entertainer/actor who just might change his/her mind.