PDA

View Full Version : Dressage show errors!!!!!!!

luv2piaffe
Aug. 18, 2009, 10:13 PM
So I was at a show this weekend, and my last test of the weekend was awesome! Both my trainer and I thought around at least a 74%. Well when I got my test it was a 72%, I was still very happy, but when I was looking at my scores they just didnt seem to add up with the final percent. I recieved mostly
8's and 7's and two 6's..With collectives of 9 for gaits, 7 for submission,8 for impulsion, and 8 for rider. With these scores the overall percent just seemed really low. Later that day we figured out why the score was so low, the person who added everything in the computer put an 8 in for ERROR!!!!! the real score should have been a 76%!!!!!

I guess the rules state that you only have an hour to report any errors or w/e, or else it is up to the show manager or whoever to change it IF they want to. Luckly they changed it with no problem, but I just think that rule is stupid, especially if they calculated the scores wrong!

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

dotneko
Aug. 19, 2009, 05:47 AM
The rider needs to check scores carefully. Scorers are only
human. One quick way to ballpark your score is the 'las
vegas card couting method'
Say your test 'looks like' a 70% or so ride.
That would mean that your average score on any given movement
is a 7. It becomes your base point.

Now, begin adding or subtracting from your base point through the
test - adding +1 or -1 or 0 for every score of 8 or 6 or 7. (You start
at 0). This gives you a running number at the end - say +6. That
tells you your test is over a 70% by 6 raw points.
If the test has 400 pointsa available, then 6 points equals 1.5%
Your score is %71.5

If your total is negative, then you are below your 70%

For example:

First 6 movements are 7, 9, 6, 8 (doubled), 7, 7.

Your running total is 0, +2, -1(for +1 total), +2 (for +3 total), +0
for +3 total, +0 for +3 total - or a final number of +3

Say there are 400 points available - 3 raw points represents .75%, so
you are on a 70.75% for the first 6 movements.

This method works for any 'base' (60%, 50%) just start with a 6 or
5 rather than a 7.

This is much easier than it writes :)

Dot

slc2
Aug. 19, 2009, 06:35 AM
Seems it would be very easy to write a phone app that would check the score.

egontoast
Aug. 19, 2009, 07:56 AM
Mistakes in scoring are not uncommon. Learn how to calculate the scores (it's not that hard) and check the math as soon as you get your test back. If you aren't good at math all you need is a little calculator. You don't need a special program to check a few score sheets.

It's difficult to have a system where you can complain much later after all the scores have been posted and officially recorded.

Carol O
Aug. 19, 2009, 08:13 AM
I have not checked the rule book on this for quite a while, but I believe you have until the end of the day to have the score checked. Please remember that many of these shows use volunteers, and that honest mistakes happen.

Grey Pony
Aug. 19, 2009, 08:32 AM
Here is the wording of the regulation:

DR123
8. If a mathematical error on the scoresheet is discovered, it must be brought to the attention of competition management within 1 hour of the official posting of the scores from the last class of that competition day. Competition Management must announce said posting, and must make test sheets available to competitors immediately.
(bold print is mine)

eponacelt
Aug. 19, 2009, 09:52 AM
Seems it would be very easy to write a phone app that would check the score.

That is a GREAT idea! If only I knew how to do it...

And I have to say, this is exactly the reason why when I volunteer at a show I'll do just about anything but score. I suck at it. And I don't want to make anyone mad!

Horsejudge
Aug. 19, 2009, 02:57 PM
I had a friend whom went in the office and complained because her score was too high!

Our trainer said, in cases like that next time, YOU SAY THANK YOU and leave it!*lolol

dressagevettech
Aug. 19, 2009, 03:47 PM
Mistakes are common as like someone said earlier scorers are only human.
I was actually scoring at a show this last weekend and know the headaches that come along with it now
I was on the computer putting in the numbers to the computer software that tallied up the scores. And another scorer was on the calculator double checking what the computer was saying.
We then put not only the calculator printout but the computer printout on the test.
It ended up being a good system and we didnt have any goofs over the entire show.
Granted quite a few times one or the other of us would find fault and fix it before it became an issue and the classes were closed.

Not a job I would want to do all the time, but I am glad for the experience.

At least the show staff was nice and changed things for you. Thats a great score for sure!

Anselcat
Aug. 19, 2009, 04:33 PM
I got a score in the high 80s once.

After a moment of :eek::):), I was then :lol:

It was clearly an error, and yes I turned it back in to get corrected!

blackhorsegirl
Aug. 19, 2009, 05:13 PM
Yes, it happened to me. The person scoring completely missed a 7. She did it again on the recheck! When I saw my score posted, I left and let them mail it to me because there was no chance of a ribbon. When I got the test, I realized that there were too many 7's and 8's. When I re-added, I realized what happened. I know what the rule is but I called management anyway. To fix it for national awards was almost impossible but they did correct it for my local awards.

I was two places out from receiving a national award from my breed association (I was 7th). If I'd waited for my test and re-checked the adding then, the awarding might have been different.

The moral to the story? I bring a calculator and re-check my scores. To error is human. To not re-check your scores is a lapse of the rider.

FYI, I've volunteered scoring. It's a long, nerve racking, sometimes boring day. We do make mistakes.

atr
Aug. 19, 2009, 05:41 PM
Pesky humans.

Horseymama
Aug. 19, 2009, 09:16 PM
Well there is an iphone app for everything else...

The "Dressage Score Re-check" app? the "How's My Dressage Score?" app...

JackSprats Mom
Aug. 19, 2009, 10:22 PM
This is alot more common then I think poeple realize...I now check every score I get as all it takes is the one number missed calculated.

I also recheck my USDF scores as I had one score posted as 46% which was really 64%! Was a pain to get it changed as it was from a month or so prior but as I have an Arab and am working towards his achievement awards the score made a HUGE difference even if it was too late for local and national

yaya
Aug. 20, 2009, 09:07 AM
I don't think you need an app - don't most cell phones have a calculator function? My very basic, no camera, no net-access, over 5-years-old phone does.

Fantastic
Aug. 20, 2009, 12:51 PM
Last year I got a 63% for an Intermediare 1 test. I was not happy with that score of course, but whatever! A friend was looking at that test this year (still in my horse trailer), and found out the scorer didn't do the co-e of 2 for a 7 movement!

My real score should have been closer to 70%! My year end rankings would have been much more normal for us than what they ended up being.

(I'm still kicking my own rear for that stoopid lack of attention to detail!)

hoopoe
Aug. 20, 2009, 02:07 PM
most shows attach the adding machine tape ( or a computer print out) that shows the math. Do a side by side running check

To calculate your own score. Add up the total points you got ( dont forget those pesky co-efficients ) and then divide that number by the total possible points ( listed on the front of the sheet.)

A basic solar powered calculator that you can keep in your horse show kit should be sufficent. In a pinch a pencil and paper ( or even a pen) will do

Carol O
Aug. 20, 2009, 09:06 PM
I once had a score that was mistakenly too high. I would not have known, if another competitor in the same class had not come up to me, big smile, asking to see my test, so she could "learn". I will mention this person never gave me a smile or the time of day, before or since. Much later I checked the score, and there was an error. There were two tapes stapled to the test, and when I studied it, the same error had been made twice, but at different places on the tape. I was only on to this because the other person was very interested, but I only checked into it late that night in my hotel room. The error gave me a slightly higher score, but not much. I never checked any other tests, but I'll bet the opposite has happened to me too. Whatever.....