PDA

View Full Version : $900 a good price to remove a chip fracture?

rio2
Aug. 18, 2009, 02:49 PM
Is $900.00 a good price to remove a chip fracture (which would include 8 digital radiographs and 2 nights stay in hospital)? (An extra limb would be an added $150.00). Or is this the norm? Thanks for any and all input. :)

Laurierace
Aug. 18, 2009, 02:51 PM
That is a scarily good price. Is that a reputable hospital? Are they doing it standing or general anesthesia? Most places just the general anesthesia is around $12-1500.

hitchinmygetalong
Aug. 18, 2009, 02:51 PM
Suspiciously low. But then again, I'm used to Rood and Riddle and Hagyard prices. :)

Grizzleycheddar
Aug. 18, 2009, 03:30 PM
Rood and Riddle is the best place to bring your horse.

Laurierace
Aug. 18, 2009, 03:36 PM
Rood and Riddle is the best place to bring your horse.

Ok that may or may not be true but it is irrelevant to the question posed. I am an hour from New Bolton and about 11 hours from R&R so its pretty obvious where I would chose to go. The OP did not state their location.

animaldoc
Aug. 18, 2009, 03:53 PM
I agree with Laurie......R&R is fantastic, but it depends where you are.

To the OP - $900 is cheap......way cheap.

lily04
Aug. 18, 2009, 03:56 PM
I paid that at New Bolton 25 years ago to remove a chip from a knee.

DickHertz
Aug. 18, 2009, 04:21 PM
Sounds similar to the outfits that do Lasik Eye surgery in an 18 wheeler for $350 an eye

Las Olas
Aug. 18, 2009, 07:59 PM
My boyfriend is Vet in Ocala and they charge $1200 outpatient. And, that was with our discount. A friend of mine breeds Hanoverians in GA and needed a chip removed from a fetlock. UGA was going to charge $3,500 for the proceedure and 2 nights. So, as others have said, it sounds a little fishy.

rio2
Aug. 19, 2009, 01:02 PM
Oh, sorry for the confusion, that is the price for "rescue" horses (CANTER, Re-Run, Horse Haven etc....) which one of my horses is. My mistake - so sorry.

animaldoc
Aug. 19, 2009, 01:08 PM
That makes more sense then - places will sometimes do these types of surgeries at "cost" when they can help the rescue horse. They may also let an intern or resident (if they have one) actually do more of the procedure (rather than just assisting the surgeon) so that it is a learning experience.

ex-racer owner
Aug. 19, 2009, 01:19 PM
I just had a chip removed from my horse's knee after this past Christmas. I took him to Ohio State University. For a three night stay, radiographs of both knees, procedure, meds, etc., they quoted me a flat rate of $1400 prior to bringing him in. When I picked him up, I was charged $1300 (thrilled with the lower price!). I was really happy with the care he received while he was there and the communication was excellent before, day of, and post surgery.

I agree that $900 seems just too good to be true and wonder how reputable this establishment is.

Las Olas
Aug. 19, 2009, 03:16 PM
Oh, sorry for the confusion, that is the price for "rescue" horses (CANTER, Re-Run, Horse Haven etc....) which one of my horses is. My mistake - so sorry.

Like Animaldoc said, $900 sounds about right for 'at cost.' And, if you go ahead, I would send a nice note and/or gift basket (like Harry & David or Christie Cookies) thanking them for the discount.