PDA

View Full Version : Horse show gear and disabilities

Invite
Aug. 18, 2009, 12:22 PM
Okay, so I might only be able to ride at the walk currently, but last night I was lying in bed and thinking....DO NOT LAUGH...if I were to actually make it to the FEI levels, could I wear my ASTM approved Charles Owen with a Shadbelly?

In my days of invincibility (in my mind only) I would have donned a top hat with pride. At this point, I have so many problems that I would never consider riding helmetless. My body doesn't really work, so I definitely need my brain to do its best. I am not trying to start a helmet vs. helmet-less thread. I just want to know if I could wear a shadbelly with a helmet. If that is not allowed, could one show in the FEI levels with a helmet and short coat? The odds of me ever needing this information are slim to none, but a bored mind gets curious. Final question on helmets....If you are required to wear a top hat with a shad, could you get a dispensation that would allow you to wear a helmet with a shad?

Although showing is not in my near future, or maybe not in my future at all, can you show without gloves? I've never thought of this before, as I always wore my white gloves and I believed everyone showed in gloves. I can wear a glove on my right hand, but my left hand proves difficult. I have a 90 degree wrist drop and need to wear a brace at all times other then when I am sleeping. I have a major lack of sensation in the left hand, so even if I wore the glove under my brace, holding the rein would prove difficult. Can I show in one glove? Can I get a dispensation for naked hands? Can I just show gloveless with no problem?

I'm a bit on the anal retentive side and plan ahead. I might be planning a bit too far in advance, but I'd rather know and be prepared. In the meantime, they may create a walking FEI test for folks like me and then I will be in the know and I won't have the dressage fashionistas going out of control

Anyone else with weird questions, BRING EM ON!!!! I'm sure some of you have questions, so join in. If you can answer mine, I appreciate your help. Thanks in advance to everyone :)

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Aug. 18, 2009, 12:26 PM
NOT that I am FEI level...but I understand that the top hat is not required?

Also, although I've only shown through First, I hate to wear gloves except in the cold. I can't feel the reins and my horse's mouth as well with them.

And by all means, ask! Always set your goals high!

Piaffing
Aug. 18, 2009, 08:07 PM
Yes you can wear a helmet with a shadbelly.

I wear a brace on my left and still put a glove over it.

JMurray
Aug. 18, 2009, 08:10 PM
Invite, as far as I am concerened you can do anything you want. You have my deepest admiration and endless support.

Ellie&Werther
Aug. 18, 2009, 09:49 PM
I know for para FEI approved helmets are required.

yaya
Aug. 18, 2009, 10:07 PM
It's all in the USEF rules, section DR120: (bolding mine)

1. The dress code for Training through Fourth Levels is a short riding coat of conservative color, with tie, choker or stock tie, white or light-colored breeches or jodhpurs, boots or jodhpur boots, a hunt cap or riding hat with a hard shell, derby or top hat. A cutaway coat (modified tailcoat) with short tails is permitted. Half chaps, gaiters and/or leggings are not allowed. Gloves of conservative color are recommended. Exception: Riders through First Level may wear half-chaps, gaiters or leggings in solid black or brown, without fringe, matching the color of their boots, and made of smooth leather or leather-like material. The dress code for the FEI Junior Tests, FEI Dressage Tests for 4, 5, and 6-year-old horses and the USEF test for 4-year old horses is a short riding coat of conservative color, with stock or tie, breeches, hunt cap or riding hat with a hard shell, derby or top hat. A dark tailcoat is also permitted for the FEI Junior Tests. The dress code for FEI Pony Riders is dark coat or club uniform coat, breeches or jodhpurs, white shirt with tie or hunting stock, gloves, boots and hunting cap; top hat or bowler not allowed. Spurs are optional for all of the FEI Pony and Junior Tests, FEI Dressage Tests for 4, 5, and 6-year-old horses and the USEF test for 4-year old horses. (See DR120.8) BOD 1/13/08 Effective 12/1/08 EC 10/20/08 Effective immediately

2. For all tests above Fourth Level, the dress code is: a dark tailcoat with top hat, or a dark jacket with a bowler hat or hunt cap, and white or light colored breeches, stock or tie, gloves, and black riding boots. Spurs are mandatory for FEI tests (except as noted above under DR120.1). (See DR120.8)

and

4. Riders at all levels of competition must wear one of the following: A hunt cap or riding hat with a hard shell, derby or top hat, military/police cap or hat, or protective headgear. Any exhibitor may wear protective headgear at any level of competition without penalty from the judge. Exhibitors choosing to wear protective headgear must wear a short, dark jacket, dark tail coat (only permitted for tests above Fourth Level), or Armed Services or police uniform (if eligible), dark hatcovers (where applicable) and must otherwise conform to DR120 (see GR801).

So yes, at FEI you may wear a protective helmet with either a shadbelly or a short coat, and you must have gloves.

For lower levels, you may wear a protective helmet, and gloves are only recommended, not required.

For the problem with your hand, you might want to talk to the USEF to get a Dispensation Letter to allow you to either modify your reins, or to wear whatever brace you may need. At the lower levels, though, you can go gloveless.

Hampton Bay
Aug. 18, 2009, 10:17 PM
I was discussing this recently with my husband, who is new to horses. We were at a show where they had FEI tests, and he commented on the riders with top hats, and wondered why they didn't wear helmets (I have taught him well!). I explained the situation, and his question was why they don't just make a helmet that looks like a top hat.

So I kinda thought that, as long as you have a small head, maybe you could just get a top hat big enough to fit over your helmet? Of course you would not have that nice sleek look, but it would give the basic idea...

For the gloves, you would have to try to get a dispensation.

slc2
Aug. 19, 2009, 06:41 AM
Not really. Just have a glove made with an opening closed by a velcro strap on the outside, I think any cobbler or saddler could modify a glove for you. And I think the FEI rules (for the upper levels) are still that you wear a short coat with a helmet, not a top hat. The rules for national FEI level classes are evolving to be more and more different than the FEI classes. Since the rules change, you can't really plan ahead quite as much as you are trying to. If you have a disability you can check out the Para-riding rules, I think the clothing rules are more relaxed for that division.

Piaffing
Aug. 19, 2009, 11:15 AM
I copied this directly from the FEI Dressage rules. It says you can wear a helmet. This rule was added in a few years ago.

Article 427 DRESS
1. Civilians: Compulsory at all CDI3*/CDI4*/CDI5*/CDI-W and CDIOs, Championships, Regional and Olympic Games a black or dark blue tail coat or other colours may be worn within in the international HSV colour scale. Colours having a value for “V” smaller than 32% according to the HSV model may be approved through application to the FEI Dressage Department. Contrast colouring and piping is allowed.
Top hat**: black or may be same colour as coat
Breeches: white or off white
Stock or tie: white, off white or same colour as coat
Gloves: white, off white or same colour as coat
Riding boots: black or same colour as coat
Spurs: see point 3.
At all CDI1*/CDI2*, a black or dark blue jacket (colours see above) with abowler hat or hunting cap is also permitted. This dress is also desirable for allother international dressage events, unless otherwise stated in any special rules
(CDIY, CDIJ, CDIP, CDI-Ch).
Note**: If, for safety reasons, an athlete wishes to wear approved protective headgear, this is permitted.

National colours may only be used on collars of athletes’ jackets and must be registered with the FEI in accordance with the General Regulations.

Invite
Aug. 19, 2009, 06:44 PM
Invite, as far as I am concerened you can do anything you want. You have my deepest admiration and endless support.

You are so sweet! That gave me goosebumps :)

quietann
Aug. 19, 2009, 09:30 PM
My understanding is that if you have a disability, you can apply for an exemption from the relevant attire rules, and still compete in non-para classes.

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 19, 2009, 10:39 PM
Troxel makes cowboy hats riding helmets.

http://tinyurl.com/mxr5l8

Not to start that argument up again, but I almost never see FEI level riders (most are trainers) in helmets of any kind. As if they would ever fall off!

Invite, you just keep visualizing your dream!:yes:

Ambrey
Aug. 19, 2009, 10:45 PM
There is also a derby-style helmet :) It's pretty bulky, though.

Invite, I'll visualize you at FEI too, the more positive energy the better!

Piaffing
Aug. 20, 2009, 11:53 AM
Ashley Holzer did her warm up at the World Cup in a helmet.

Invite
Aug. 20, 2009, 06:07 PM
You guys are so awesome! Thanks for all the positive support. If they create a FEI walking test, I'll be there this year ;) The real FEI will take a while. When I was in remission and foolishly believed I would never have another relapse, I bought my future FEI horse as a weanling. She has the ability. Now I just need more strength, some lessons...make that lots of lessons, and my shadbelly. I will wear it proudly with my Charles Owen helmet!! At the very least, I will imagine in the shad and my CO helmet :)