PDA

View Full Version : Thoroughbred Trainers

outofthepocket
Aug. 18, 2009, 09:40 AM
I recently inherited a few thoroughbred race horses and wanted to know how to contact trainers. I looked for some type of listing online and could not find one. Does anyone know if there is some type of database with trainer's contact information?

caffeinated
Aug. 18, 2009, 10:22 AM
if they don't have websites or online contact info, I generally end up leaving messages with the racing office or stable gate at the track they train out of :)

It used to be simple to get actual phone numbers by calling the racing office, but several tracks stopped doing that after things got out of hand with people from the interwebz calling to harrass trainers.

I do know that California has a directory of some trainers, I think you can find that through a CA HBPA website or something. I don't have the link on hand.

Las Olas
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:27 AM
Which trainers? Someone here may be able to provide them.

outofthepocket
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:54 AM
I've been out of the game for a little while. I could use some recommendations of any up and comers or people that have a good track record. Semi new to the whole owner thing.

Las Olas
Aug. 18, 2009, 12:56 PM
Where do you want to run? Are the horses ready to run? Have they been on a farm or with a trainer? I'm from your area (Fort Lauderdale), so I know a few people down there. I'd recommend somewhere other than Calder, tho.

outofthepocket
Aug. 18, 2009, 05:28 PM
The horses have been out to pasture for the last month. They were in racing condition before. Located in Ontario used to race at Woodbine. I was thinking of bringing them south for the winter, but still not sure. Might also be leaning towards the northeast in NY or PA.

Timex
Aug. 18, 2009, 09:44 PM
I'm an exercise rider @ saratoga, so if you have anyone in mind, I can probably get the info. A trainer I'd recommend talking to tho is john morrisson. Trains mostly out of a training facility just outside of saratoga, and almost all the horses get turned out, good grooms, asst trainers and riders who know what they're doing and CARE about the horses. Let me know whose numbers you might want, and ill see what I can do for you!

witherbee
Aug. 20, 2009, 09:34 AM
You can try going to the websites for the various tracks you are interested in - they usually have a list of trainers and sometimes have trainer stats. You can also get trainer stas from Equineline or Brisnet. Asking around is good as well. I don't really know any trainers from those tracks (we do the Tampa, Monmouth, Suffolk circuit with a happy trip to Saratoga now and again lol).

Good luck, and welcome back!

Bacchus
Aug. 20, 2009, 10:54 AM
Can't vouch for any of them, but this site might help:

www.racehorsetrainers.com

They have links to trainers' websites by area.

Vitriolic
Aug. 20, 2009, 11:47 AM
The horses have been out to pasture for the last month. They were in racing condition before. Located in Ontario used to race at Woodbine. I was thinking of bringing them south for the winter, but still not sure. Might also be leaning towards the northeast in NY or PA.

If they are Canadian bred, it makes sense to keep them at Woodbine. The purses are the best in North America for the level of competition. We do not blow our conditions on cheaper races in the states as you typically need to run at a lower level for far less money than in Canada. You likely need the advice of a disinterested party to assess their worth and where they should be running before you start shipping them around and paying between $45 and $100 USD per day in training rates for horses that might not fit there. (Forgive me if I am assuming too much). I have just seen too many people learn the hard way.

What about the past trainer? Are they out?