PDA

View Full Version : Amateur's Grand Prix debut in Germany

mmt
Aug. 18, 2009, 09:05 AM
So as positive news...I did my first Grand Prix two weekends ago and then my second one last weekend and first Special at the big Dobruck-Wingst show. This all seems like a dream month of August.

I received scores in the low 60s, so was thrilled with that since never in my wildest dreams did I think Escobar and me as an amateur, riding part-time, would be able to make it out respectably and compete already this summer at Grand Prix in Germany!

We just started working on the Grand Prix last fall, so less than a year ago, but I will say that I think Escobar is a better Grand Prix horse than he was anything else. His piaffe/passage has really developed to be good, and we even got a 9 on it the first weekend. We get good enough scores to get in the mid-60s once I can reliably get round the test without the little mistakes I have here and there. The funny thing is that I was so worried about the canter zig-zag, and now that is the part of the canter tour that feels the most reliable. It is the changes and pirouettes that I sometimes am not quick enough to ride each stride in the test like I do at home.

I only bought Escobar at the end of his 8/start of his 9th year old when the German stallion station where he was went bankrupt and he got gelded and went to a dealer in the Netherlands. So in three years, we have gone together from barely 3rd level to Grand Prix. My trainer in Germany Markus Gribbe is still teaching me, however, what it means though to be a Grand Prix test rider as I can ride tests perfectly at home and then most tests ride more passive in the ring trying to be "too" perfect rather than just riding. LOL

I can tell you thought that the German riders here at this level (and not even the team riders) are REALLY GOOD so are inspiring to be around! Just to be there as an amateur among them is a great learning experience since Germany has so much depth of training and history that I feel privileged to have the opportunity with work and my husband putting up with me to do it. I am a long way away from showing in a CDI, but the German shows here all have between 25-30 people in the Grand Prix so it is such an experience for the horse and me to be in such a warmup and big atmosphere. That is an intimidating adjustment in and of itself for us! Going to the German shows is like nothing I have seen in the US, Devon IS probably the closest.

Anyway, just some good news to share that it can be done! We all need to dream a little, set goals, and then see what happens - - even if others think we are a little crazy. :-)

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 18, 2009, 09:25 AM
That is amazing!! Congratulations : )
Any pics?

Valentina_32926
Aug. 18, 2009, 09:31 AM
Just think - you're getting to do what most of us will only dream about! I am jealous with envy but also very proud that an American AA can ride and do well in Europe - at GP no less!

Congratulations & keep up the good work! :D

BigBayBoy
Aug. 18, 2009, 03:11 PM
MMT-

You owe me an article on your success! And pics! :yes:

Bellfleur
Aug. 18, 2009, 03:32 PM
Congrats Marne!! See you soon.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Aug. 18, 2009, 03:38 PM
Wow, that's awesome!! Congrats. Pics please!!!

I picked up a language CD for German the other day from the sale table at B&N and have been dilligently practicing (I can now count to ten and greet people) as I have a secret desire to go and ride there some day... I'm so glad you posted!

Tasker
Aug. 18, 2009, 04:20 PM
Congratulations!!!!

mickeydoodle
Aug. 18, 2009, 05:39 PM
fabulous! i am envious

mmt
Aug. 18, 2009, 07:13 PM
Yes I will write an article Shari for our great website pvda.org :-)

I do have a few pics, but don't know how to post them here. Sorry! :confused:

I do have them and others on facebook for those also on facebook.

Invite
Aug. 18, 2009, 08:07 PM
Wow is all I can say. I am so happy for you and your horse!

siegi b.
Aug. 18, 2009, 10:59 PM
Congratulations, Marne!! Now I'll have to hook you up with a Dutch horse soon!! :):)
Best,
Siegi

srg
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:11 PM
Now I can say I knew you when....

This is such an awesome accomplishment! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I had the privilege of watching Marne school Escobar while they were still in England earlier this year. They are an amazing team!! It wasn't always so easy with Escobar--Marne is an incredible rider!!

In addition to her successful riding of two talented horses, Marne is married to a wonderful husband, has a farm in the U.S., is President of our large GMO for the past two years, works tirelessly for the German Oldenburg Verband, has a demanding job, travels constantly, and still manages to be pretty cheery every time I see her.

That pretty much leaves the rest of us in the dust!! :D

slc2
Aug. 19, 2009, 06:37 AM
Wonderful! A great accomplishment!

mmt
Aug. 19, 2009, 08:30 AM
Shari, what great compliments -- those were really nice things for you to post. You and I are the mutual admiration club since I am routing for you to hopefully go to the WEG on the American para-olympian team. Now wouldn't THAT be great!!!!!

I still have a huge amount to learn, but as you know Shari, Markus is the first to tell me if something stinks! :lol: Reticent in his opinions or undemanding he is not, but his verbal "spurs" have really motivated me to ride better and he continues to push us. The struggle is always for me is to manage everything and get enough riding time in. Markus does a great job with Escobar when I am traveling or home with Mike, but Escobar really only works 100% for me, and I need the time in the saddle also.

And Siegi, you have great horses - but I am getting too many again! I have a really super four year old Oldenburg mare from the Vechta elite auction, a yearling stallion prospect, a filly from this year and a few more buns in the oven. Some will need to go before I can get more I think! ;)

Thanks everyone for the nice words. I was not certain whether I would get skewered or congratulated. Sometimes with the COTH forums - you just don't know!

Alagirl
Aug. 19, 2009, 08:48 AM
congratulations! :)

DownYonder
Aug. 19, 2009, 09:33 AM
Yeah, Marne! You go, girl!

And I echo everything Shari (SRG) said. You are amazing! :yes:

Alagirl
Aug. 19, 2009, 09:50 AM
Wow, that's awesome!! Congrats. Pics please!!!

I picked up a language CD for German the other day from the sale table at B&N and have been dilligently practicing (I can now count to ten and greet people) as I have a secret desire to go and ride there some day... I'm so glad you posted!

LOL, have you gotten to the 5 digit counting yet? :winkgrin: (convince somebody you need Rosetta Stone, it's awesome!)

TrotTrotPumpkn
Aug. 19, 2009, 11:02 AM
LOL, have you gotten to the 5 digit counting yet? :winkgrin: (convince somebody you need Rosetta Stone, it's awesome!)

No! I think I learned this stuff alot faster when I was a kid--it's somewhat humbling. I picked up the box for Rosetta and about fell over when I saw what it costs! I have to prove to myself my dedication with the cheapie version first...I'm so the type to buy the whole delux version and then leave it on the shelf...

If there is an article on the OP's adventures let us know please!

Alagirl
Aug. 19, 2009, 12:49 PM
LOL, indeed, Rosetta Stone is way high, but super awesome good! (maybe you can get you boss to pay for it! ;) )

Walnut Farm
Aug. 28, 2009, 01:56 PM
Sorry so late with my HUGE congrats Marne! but doesn't mean less worth :lol::D

Will you go to the Bundeschampionship? perhaps we can meet again

Sincerely Linda