PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Running Filly

buddys girl
Aug. 17, 2009, 08:28 PM
Does anyone remember the books known as the Bonnie Books a series of five young adult fiction about Bonnie the race horse and her owner Julie. Published in the early 1970s by NAL (Signet)? Written by Barbara Van Tuyl

Beezer
Aug. 17, 2009, 08:47 PM
Absolutely. :) In fact, I think I still have many of them stashed somewhere in the myriad boxes of books.

Poltroon (whom I don't think frequents this forum on the board) is kinda the all-knower-of-all-horse-books around here. :p You might send her a private message ... she knows a great website that keeps track of horsie books (it might even be her own), but I lost that bookmarked site a couple of computers ago -- more's the pity.

buddys girl
Aug. 17, 2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks! They are going to be re released in early 2010.

Linny
Aug. 17, 2009, 09:43 PM
I remember reading several of them while out sick from school with the flu one winter in the 70's.

jennywho
Aug. 18, 2009, 01:31 AM
I am so excited to hear this. I loved those books when I was growing up. Read them to the point that they fell apart. Now that I have a daughter I was hoping that one day I would be able to find a set for her. Thanks for sharing the news.

MintHillFarm
Aug. 18, 2009, 06:35 AM
I have found hard to find horse books on Amazon. I loved the "Jill Crewe" books growing up and was able to locate many of them.

Worth a try there especially if you want the first editions...

crazy gray horse
Aug. 18, 2009, 06:54 AM
I have several that were mine as a teen - my 13 yo has read them several times now :D

summerhorse
Aug. 18, 2009, 12:19 PM
My favorite series EVER. Mine are falling apart but I used to see them on ebay regularly esp. in lots. Also look on amazon.com. There are some old book sellers on the net too.

Beezer
Aug. 18, 2009, 04:01 PM
Aha! Found the link I mentioned before: http://www.ponydom.com/books/index.html

It's a great resource to find out about books you just have to read. :cool:

Calling Duck
Aug. 20, 2009, 12:35 PM
I, too, read them as a youngster until they fell apart. Couple of years ago I found them all on the internet through various sites, and now they are back in my library. Interesting story lines about racing, mixing it up with a bit of crime, whodunit, then show hunters, breeding, etc.

MintHillFarm
Aug. 20, 2009, 03:00 PM
I rode at the stable she owned many many years ago; Banbury Cross. She had a mare there named Bonny (Barbonee) maybe the book was loosly based on that mare (I think she was a TB, it was so long ago!). I know that mare had a foal as well while I was there...

I don't recall ever knowing that she wrote books.

buddys girl
Mar. 1, 2010, 08:33 PM
Yes, Barbara did write The Bonnie Books all five of them, and he mare Bonnie was part of the inspiration for the stories. You can find the books now on www.poppetpress.com