PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your tail?

fatorangehorse
Aug. 17, 2009, 06:22 PM
How do you prep your horse's tail for showing?

LuvMyDressageQH
Aug. 17, 2009, 06:29 PM
Wash, condition, finger pick, and bang the bottom (at the fetlock).

blackhorsegirl
Aug. 17, 2009, 07:23 PM
Dito. Keep the brushes away.

Pony Fixer
Aug. 17, 2009, 07:39 PM
Well, I try to keep my tail covered, and in the saddle...

tarragon
Aug. 17, 2009, 07:46 PM
I *think* you mean 'bang' the tail- cutting the ends straight across. Docking is what they do to draft horses where part of the tail bone and dock is amputated.

quietann
Aug. 17, 2009, 09:50 PM
*Bang* the tail. I had someone trim the sides of the dock, but I think I am going to let it grow out over the winter because I prefer a full tail.

Ellie&Werther
Aug. 17, 2009, 10:17 PM
I don't want to hijack, but anyone here bag their horses tail? I have a warmblood with a very poor tail after years of braiding for the Big EQ medal classes. I think he would benefit from bagging it, but I've never done it before.

kahjul
Aug. 17, 2009, 10:29 PM
My girl is blessed with a huge, gorgeous tail (of course it come with mega-mane too which is a pain). I keep it clipped at the top and banged all the time, so prior to a show I only have to wash, condition and brush out.

fatorangehorse
Aug. 17, 2009, 10:40 PM
very tired.

ArenaBallerina
Aug. 17, 2009, 10:56 PM
I keep my pony's tail banged. I want to clip the top, but I'm a little scared to.

slc2
Aug. 17, 2009, 10:57 PM
Neaten up the sides and top, bang it on an angle to the back.

papony
Aug. 17, 2009, 11:36 PM
I am a tail prepping zero.... so I call my friend Liz, the former professional dog groomer, and plead incompetence. She comes to my rescue. she does amazing things to a horse's tail with scissors (bangs the bottom and feathers the sides at the top). My gelding won the "best tail" award in florida last year! Thank you Liz!

Fire_fly
Aug. 18, 2009, 02:33 AM
what is the Best Tail Award and who decides who has the best tail ?

cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony
Aug. 18, 2009, 04:06 AM
If by dock the bottom, you mean bang, and leave the dock alone, then yes I dock the bottom.

goeslikestink
Aug. 18, 2009, 04:55 AM
pull the sides and bang the bottom
if one doesnt know how to do it correctly look at my helpful links pages
it all on there towards the end of the list same to with manes and plaiting

mandalea
Aug. 18, 2009, 06:14 AM
I leave it, except bang the bottom, halfway up his cannon :) Is a 'requirement' for Show Hunter classes. (Australian ones, so they're different)

I braid it for shows, so I leave the top. I've tried pulling it, but it makes his bum look weird.

Day before show when I wash him, I wash his whole tail, and only condition it below the bottom of his dock. When it's dry, I go through it with a brush/my fingers, to get rid of any knots (even though there isn't any :)) And them plait it (the 'body' of his tail - the part I conditioned). It stays like that all night, until right before we go into the arena, where I give it a spritz of baby oil, to give at some shine :)

Everyday though, I just pick out any grass/leaves and brush the 'brush' (because it looks like a toilet brush :))

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w222/mandaleacalico/P8020030.jpg?t=1250586447

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w222/mandaleacalico/P8020029.jpg?t=1250586447

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w222/mandaleacalico/P8020032.jpg?t=1250586475

(^ Haven't touched it for a while, because I haven't had any shows - wont for another 2 1/2 weeks)

ms raven
Aug. 18, 2009, 07:12 AM
A friend of mine has illustrated her method for keeping a tail kept up but still useable for the horse; check out Horse Tails (http://www3.telus.net/sherrisstable/HorseTails.htm)

My mare has hair too fine to do up in crochet knots so I loosely braid the under section and put that in one of those rectangular tail bags. In between shows I don't brush it and for shows I wash, hand pick and bang the bottom.

Rival
Aug. 18, 2009, 10:58 AM
I let my horse rub it out so that there actually isn't anything I can do with it (ha ha).

merrygoround
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:14 AM
For those cautious about shaving the sides, and nervous about pulling, a pair of thinning shears will work well.

WBLover
Aug. 18, 2009, 12:07 PM
Shampoo, condition, let dry. Spray in a leave-in conditioner. Let dry. GENTLY brush it out. Clip sides of dock just to neaten it up, bang the bottom.

Don't touch it otherwise!! And if I've just been to a show recently, I'll just use spray-in conditioner, gently brush it out again and neaten it up and not do all the other stuff.

My horse has been blessed with a very thick tail, thanks to his Friesian heritage, but I STILL err on the side of caution and don't brush it out a lot.

Boomer
Aug. 18, 2009, 12:22 PM
I do very little to my gelding's really full and wavy tail.

When I ride, I hand pick anything out of it. Before shows/clinics I bang the bottom.

During cockle-burr season Cowboy Magic is must if I want to get the dratted things out.

Ambrey
Aug. 18, 2009, 01:48 PM
Banged the bottom, lots of quiksilver to get it white.

Didn't shave the sides.

mypaintwattie
Aug. 18, 2009, 03:05 PM
Braided and kept in a bag at all times- washed and conditioned every week to 10 days. For a show leave top alone, cut tail straight across at about the fetlocks, and add the 1lb tail extension (not that she needs it, but it's a breed thing)! Then we have an absolutely beautiful tail that even made the BNT (dressage) at my barn jealous!

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/wattie824/P1060839.jpg

mp
Aug. 18, 2009, 03:51 PM
Braided and kept in a bag at all times- washed and conditioned every week to 10 days. For a show leave top alone, cut tail straight across at about the fetlocks, and add the 1lb tail extension (not that she needs it, but it's a breed thing)! Then we have an absolutely beautiful tail that even made the BNT (dressage) at my barn jealous!

It looks like your horse admires her tail, too. :lol:

I bag my horse's tail in the winter because mud-cicles are so gross. I take it down in April, wash, condition, trim and we're good to show.

Tilly
Aug. 18, 2009, 04:31 PM
Washed, conditioned, shiny-spray, brush out once dry. I keep tails banged a few inches above the fetlock. I don't usually pull/clip the dock, although I was thinking about trying it.

I usually run a stiff brush through the tail daily after using spray-in conditioner, as this smooths the hair down and creates a more polished look without pulling out any hairs. And we do like to look nice :winkgrin:

This is my retired mare's tail, back when we were doing Hunters. It's thick and slightly curly/wavy.
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx199/RubiesandPearls/starr1.jpg

equito
Aug. 18, 2009, 09:16 PM
I like to braid Rusty's tail for hunter shows, so I leave it all natural. Natural as far as pulling/trimming goes anyway... I do make sure it's clean and tangle free and on show morning I wet it slightly, apply gel to the hair along the dock, and wrap carefully with a polo. When we arrive at the show grounds, I simply undo the wrap and presto, a relatively neat tail.

Quest52
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:46 PM

There have been a few horses I've had that I wish in Dressage shows tail extensions were alowed, but sadly... no tail extensions to be added in a dressage horse's tail. Sniff.

Fixerupper
Aug. 19, 2009, 12:05 AM
My first thought...tuck it up into my breeches and hope no one notices :)
Second thought - try not to sit on them and pop the buttons on the 'tail' coat
Third thought - oh the horse's tail...what everrr!
Just me :lol::lol:

tarragon
Aug. 19, 2009, 12:20 AM
There have been a few horses I've had that I wish in Dressage shows tail extensions were alowed, but sadly... no tail extensions to be added in a dressage horse's tail. Sniff.

Fake tails are legal in Dressage, and have been for several years-
From the Rule Book, under DR121 Saddlery and Equipment, section 7- "Any decoration of the
horse with extravagant items, such as ribbons or flowers, etc. in the mane, tail, etc., is strictly
forbidden. Braiding of the horse’s mane and tail, however, is permitted. False tails are permitted
and if used may not contain any metal parts."

MsM
Aug. 19, 2009, 09:16 AM
Like many horses, mine rubs the top from time to time so has short hairs there. The rest stays pretty well with benign neglect, so it would just get washed and cut at the fetlocks before a show. When I started showing, many people shaved a lot of the top of the tail, but I really didnt like that look - not to mention what it would look like when growing out! So I would use a lot of conditioner at the top to get the hair to lie flat. Then I would use scissors and trim off from under the sides the hairs that would stick out and ruin the flow of the tail. At the edge of the hairlines at the top I would scissor as close as I could, then I would just tidy up the sides and stragglers. I would use a tail bandage while I was working with him to try to keep things smooth, but he would not consent to wearing one on his own!

mypaintwattie
Aug. 19, 2009, 01:48 PM
Fake tails are legal in Dressage, and have been for several years-
From the Rule Book, under DR121 Saddlery and Equipment, section 7- "Any decoration of the
horse with extravagant items, such as ribbons or flowers, etc. in the mane, tail, etc., is strictly
forbidden. Braiding of the horse’s mane and tail, however, is permitted. False tails are permitted
and if used may not contain any metal parts."

Thank you- I was sure they were allowed, but was running to my rule book anyways! I think a nice full tail just adds a little more panache to the overall picture, so my mare wears hers for any show, dressage included.

whicker
Aug. 20, 2009, 06:43 PM
Ok, Mypaintwattie,

Please explain how you choose and fasten the tail extension on? I know nothing about this and want to learn. Where do you get them?