PDA

View Full Version : I am in awe...

Tasker
Aug. 17, 2009, 04:49 PM
Through a strange series of events, I have just renewed my USEA membership online. I'm posting about it over here because of some really cool features -

- It's all online
- My records from 12+ years ago are accessible
- $85 for a Full membership, $60 per person for Family (same privileges as Full)
- The competition records from the 90's are online and while it is restricted to member only access, it was free to look
- It took 5 minutes at most...

Their Omnibus is all online. It comes out quarterly.
You can enter online.
Entry status can be checked online.
Competitions often have live scoring, if not the results are posted the same day.

If eventing can run their busy competitions (3 phases for each horse/rider combo with multiple horses for riders in several divisions), is there any way to streamline the dressage competitor's experience and keep costs down?

Equibrit
Aug. 17, 2009, 07:17 PM
When porcines levitate.

Mary in Area 1
Aug. 17, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hey, USDF wants you to pay $20 for just LAST YEAR'S results!

Heaven forbid they lose a way to soak us. I still can't get over the BS about Group Membership and Participating Membership. I paid for 2 groups and a PM and had to pay for the group 2x that I didn't even need. No way to say, "Hey, I'm already a PM, so don't need your stinking GM that doesn't mean anything anyway!"

You have to APPLY for a reimbursement. ARRGGGHHHHH!

Tasker
Aug. 17, 2009, 08:59 PM
Well, there are just things about what the USEA is doing that make SENSE!!! Probably not as much $$ but then again I'm not sure...

If your horse is competing below Prelim there is a different registration fee with an 'upgrade fee' that would apply if they move up in that competition year.

If more than 1 member of family signs up, there is a reduced fee to join per person.

Wouldn't it be better to have more horses registered and more members for a lower fee? Say those that compete below 2nd/3rd level...Or does that cramp the HP fee concept? It probably does as that fee is on top of the regular membership.

Add in the Starter Trials vs. Recognized Event price structure that has 100's of horses doing 3 phases in 1 day. Those competitions are making money!!! It just blows me away that dressage is missing out on such a money making opportunity! (not to mention the fact it is no big deal for rider's with multiple horses in different divisions...I distinctly remember having 3 Grand Prix rides in 64 minutes and being told to scratch [foregoing my entry $$$] if I didn't like the schedule.)

All the web stuff really makes things more accessible for competitors! And it could help attract sponsors and help encourage public interest in a sport that can be soooo expensive. I was honestly shocked to pull up my records from 1997...it was part of the online membership renewal process! Typed in my name and there I was... :eek:

I've been grooming for our horse at a bunch of competitions and there are gobs of youngsters out there, so excited about their sport and enjoying their horses. What a great way to build the future of the sport!!

And to be perfectly honest, I've been going out with the youngsters to local hunter shows and schooling at other people's facilities to try to keep show expenses down this year instead of going to recognized USDF competitions. It's just more cost effective right now.

Am I the only one who would like things to change a bit?

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 17, 2009, 09:39 PM
The USDF absolutely should take some pointers from the USEA. In addition, the breed registries should make an effort to streamline some of their processes and to minimize the ridiculous amount of paperwork they require by making forms that can be filled out and submitted online.

Equibrit
Aug. 17, 2009, 10:02 PM
How come nobody has told all these organizations about the handy little typewriter feature in Adobe ? I guess it's just too easy.

JMurray
Aug. 18, 2009, 07:36 PM
and how about the stupid $30 office fee and $20 Secretary validate entry stuff. $50 extra???????

Sorry wrong topic. It just slipped out of my keyboard when I saw USDF and making things nice for members. And I just did an entry so was fresh on my mind. G-r-r-r