PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the ego ? Please, don't forget your horses when you brag

mademoiselle
Aug. 17, 2009, 04:28 PM
I was looking for some info on a horse who went to the Olympics and decided to go on his rider's website.

So, I start browsing the website and I could not find one horse's name or even mentioned on the all website.

And we are talking about a VBNT with many results. Only one little picture (without a caption) and the rest of the Bio refers as 'X won his/her first medal at this OGs and finished XXth at these olympics ... blabla'.
Over 20 years of riding at the top level and only one horse's name mentioned ...
No pictures of said horses.

Pictures of vacations, advertising, self promotion, sale horses, ... more ego boosting here and there ...
But no mention anywhere of the different horses along the way, the owners and people who made it possible, and of course no bloodlines or anything either.

I mean we are talking about a top level rider, not a tennis player or a golfer, ... Whithout the horses, this person would be a nobody.

I usually don't care about that kind of thing, but I was looking for some breeding info on a horse who went to the olympics and was expecting that at least the horse would be mentioned on the rider's website.

And yes, the website is updated (it even has a blog relating personal stuff on it).

Kaelurus
Aug. 17, 2009, 05:13 PM
Dare I ask who this BNT is?? Or who the horse might be?

Kaelurus
Aug. 17, 2009, 05:15 PM
Scratch that. I'm pretty sure I sorted it out.

slc2
Aug. 17, 2009, 07:00 PM
Could be a lot of reasons. Why do you think that what is on a person's web site is a measure of their inner morality?

GetReady
Aug. 17, 2009, 07:11 PM
I was looking for some info on a horse who went to the Olympics and decided to go on his rider's website.

So, I start browsing the website and I could not find one horse's name or even mentioned on the all website.

And we are talking about a VBNT with many results. Only one little picture (without a caption) and the rest of the Bio refers as 'X won his/her first medal at this OGs and finished XXth at these olympics ... blabla'.
Over 20 years of riding at the top level and only one horse's name mentioned ...
No pictures of said horses.

Pictures of vacations, advertising, self promotion, sale horses, ... more ego boosting here and there ...
But no mention anywhere of the different horses along the way, the owners and people who made it possible, and of course no bloodlines or anything either.

I mean we are talking about a top level rider, not a tennis player or a golfer, ... Whithout the horses, this person would be a nobody.

I usually don't care about that kind of thing, but I was looking for some breeding info on a horse who went to the olympics and was expecting that at least the horse would be mentioned on the rider's website.

And yes, the website is updated (it even has a blog relating personal stuff on it).

In Germany we call these kind of persons a "Mademoiselle" :yes::yes:

Ajierene
Aug. 17, 2009, 07:13 PM
In Germany we call these kind of persons a "Mademoiselle" :yes::yes:

My experience with Germany, including extensive conversations with Germans, is that while they will use English sometimes (only when it is shorter to write out on say a sign, than German would be), they are not the type to run around spouting French, especially not as slang.

That and using the French word for 'young lady' or 'miss', with no negative definitions seems really odd.

What part of Germany is this slang used in?

slc2
Aug. 17, 2009, 07:14 PM
Which one's the Mademoiselle? The one who doesn't mention his horses on his web site, or the one that points it out as being a character flaw?

Usually, these days, there has to be some sort of arrangement to advertise something that doesn't belong to you, on your web site. Maybe the arrangement isn't there, or maybe the relationship with the current owners of the horse is not quite cordial. Or maybe the purpose of the web site is only to advertise the trainer's services, or has some other agenda, like being out in the sports world.

mademoiselle
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:25 AM
I'm just saying that if you are going to take the time to write a complete bio listing all your achievements and who you trained with then it would be a minimum to mention the name of the horses you rode at the Olympics, WEGs and big championships.

dressageUK
Aug. 18, 2009, 02:52 PM
If it's the website I think you mean, then it's not really set up to showcase their riding career, but their new ventures now they have retired, hence the large amount on non-horse content on there. Most pro riders who are still actively competing showcase their horses on their sites but this isn't really a barn site is it?

Coppers mom
Aug. 18, 2009, 05:01 PM
If it's a website promoting the rider, I can see why there was little mention of the horses. I mean, it's supposed to provide information about the rider, his accomplishments, what he's done, you know, the whole "What he can do for you" thing. Yeah, it'd be nice if the horses are mentioned (especially if they were really famous), but I can see why they weren't if they weren't partnered for long, the horse wasn't extremely well known, etc.

slc2
Aug. 21, 2009, 07:55 PM
Of course, there's always the possibility that the person in question doesn't give a rat's butt about any horse s/he ever rode. There are people like that.

Sometimes that scene is all about money, and schmoozing and bs'ing and money and who cares about the horses. Fortunately there are still dressage people out there who are still not very impressed with any of that.

Unless you really know the person in their private life, it is really just about impossible to cut through all the media-scratch-my-back-and-i'll-scratch-yours type stuff that goes on, and really know what someone in the public eye is actually like. In that sense, the media bs, articles, websites and reports are really worthless as far as knowing someone's real character.

Andrea_W
Aug. 22, 2009, 09:05 AM
Many years ago, Olympic medalist Gina Smith was competing at a local show. Her test was absolutely spectacular and when she left the ring, the audience broke out into wild applause. This incredibly accomplished horsewoman smiled at all of us and said "It's the horse."
Class act.

Carol O
Aug. 23, 2009, 08:12 PM
I'm just saying that if you are going to take the time to write a complete bio listing all your achievements and who you trained with then it would be a minimum to mention the name of the horses you rode at the Olympics, WEGs and big championships.

I agree totally.

Gayla
Aug. 24, 2009, 07:30 AM
I agree totally.

:yes:

Alagirl
Aug. 24, 2009, 08:11 AM
A horse without a rider is a horse,

a rider without a horse is a pedestrian.

^_^

(I forgot where I found that quote)