PDA

View Full Version : Throat surgery for MTB

War Admiral
Aug. 17, 2009, 02:08 PM
Mine That Bird is having throat surgery (http://www.alexbrownracing.com/news/2009/08/barbaro_updates_896.php) but still hopes to make Travers.

Jingles for the Bird!!

Lori T
Aug. 17, 2009, 03:19 PM
I just read that...can't believe they think he will be ready in 2 weeks!

DickHertz
Aug. 17, 2009, 04:22 PM
I just read that...can't believe they think he will be ready in 2 weeks!

I remember a filly by Technology (lady tech?) winning 8 days after the surgery. It can happen, but I think the quick comebacks tend to happen more at bush tracks like Penn National than Saratoga. I wouldn't risk it.

MintHillFarm
Aug. 17, 2009, 08:55 PM
I had to re-read the Blood Horse alert to make sure I was actually reading what I saw.

I am very surprised that MTB wouldn't lose training days with throat surgery however minor it may be...

DMK
Aug. 17, 2009, 09:15 PM
i thought the laser/endoscopic surgery was non-invasive and back to work pretty quickly? still no bets on the horse you have after 8 days, everyone reacts differently...

nightmoves
Aug. 18, 2009, 07:57 AM
So why would he need throat surgery at this point.....just wondering

Mara
Aug. 18, 2009, 08:39 AM
8 days, and they think he'll have a chance to win in Travers company???? I suppose they know their horse better than anyone, though.

DMK
Aug. 18, 2009, 10:00 AM
epiglottic entrapment is one of those funky throat issues that some horses can deal with, some horses can't, some do ok then get worse, others start worse, get better. its the catch all of throat issues. alysheba had surgery coming out of his 2 year old year and it wasn't like he showed no evidence of talent as a 2 yr old, but he sure had a lot more talent with more oxygen. conversely i've had a mare and her filly who both had the condition with no obvious issues. the mare had 56 starts (QH) a western/english pleasure career, some o/f including low level eventing and we finally dx'd it when she was 20 when we dx'd it in her daughter. neither warranted trx, but some horses do benefit, especially when a mile of running is on the table. but truly, if you are going to have a breathing problem, you should probably hope for this one.

also the laser surg is done under sedation and with an endoscope, so its a lot less invasive than the older procedures.

gubbyz
Aug. 18, 2009, 10:52 PM
Is this simular to what we call a "roarer"?

Barnfairy
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:20 PM
Is this simular to what we call a "roarer"?
Nope. Entrapped epiglottis is a silent condition (but for possible coughing post work) -- and having watched Mine That Bird gallop (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2201176230099108256ioAVCz) both this past Friday and Saturday, I can attest that he was not making noise while running.

Roaring is a different condition called laryngeal hemiplegia aka paralyzed flapper.

There is a great explanation of the different breathing disorders which can occur in racehorses in this article from the Thoroughbred Times: Veterinary Spotlight: Clear the Air (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/horse-health/2004/July/17/Veterinary-Spotlight-Clear-the-air.aspx).

gubbyz
Aug. 20, 2009, 11:13 PM
Thank you Barnfairy.

lolalola
Aug. 20, 2009, 11:15 PM
Dr. Patty Hogan is the best!