PDA

View Full Version : Run down patches?

Mozart
Aug. 17, 2009, 12:05 PM
Can some one answer some question about run down patches for me? I have seen them applied to fetlock points at the track, does anyone use them on other areas of a horse's body?

I am thinking about trying them for a retired gelding who is very prone to hocksores. You can bed this horse up to his knees and he will manage to get down to bare floor and scrape his hocks open when he gets up from lying down.

In the past we have used neoprene hock boots (he hates them), Boomer soft hock wraps (they fall down unless so tight he can't bend back leg or you put stable wraps on back leg as well). Current method which is 70% successful is apply duct tape to the area he scrapes up. He can still scrape off the duct tape about 30% of the time.

I now thinking run down patches might be the ticket.

How well do they adhere to the leg? Could they be applied to the side of the hock? Do they come off easily? Can they be worn for several days?

jengersnap
Aug. 17, 2009, 12:34 PM
We run them up to the inside of the hock on one gelding who's way of going interfers with himself bad enough he nicks up there on occassion. I don't know how well they would stick with longterm use though. We secure them with vet wrap and it's just mostly the start he has to get his feet under him so the area is concussed only briefly and at one point in the race. If he goes through duct tape he'd probably get them loose or off too. Sounds like your boy is difficult to make comfortable :(

SleepyFox
Aug. 17, 2009, 02:16 PM
Rather than rundown patches, try felt patches. Felt is designed to be stuck directly to the horse for horses that speed cut, etc. Racetrack felt (the official name) comes in a roll in a box and you can cut the patches to whatever size you need. The felt has a sticky side but you will need adhesive spray also (apply the spray to the sticky side of the felt).

Mozart
Aug. 17, 2009, 02:44 PM
Interesting. That sounds quite promising. So there is a sticky side that goes next to the horse's skin but you also recommend an adhesive spray? What sort of adhesive spray?

jengersnap
Aug. 17, 2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah racetrack felt, that's the stuff we use. I just called them run down patches but they are different then the clear plastic 3M stuff you see on the fetlocks.

http://www.bigdweb.com/detail.aspx?id=78272 (http://http://www.bigdweb.com/detail.aspx?id=78272)

Mozart
Aug. 17, 2009, 03:24 PM
I just found felt rundown patches on the Greenhawk site. That is an easy source for me. Getting to our racetrack tack shop is a bit of a production, I don't have backstretch access.

Yes, jengersnap, this old TB has always been a "challenge" to keep in one piece ( I have had him for 18 years) but now at 22..he is in the "nursing home" phase of life! He needs a lot of "extra" care. So he will probably live 10 more years! :lol:

lily04
Aug. 17, 2009, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't use the spray stick adhesive on a daily basis. It is extremly sticky and you need acetone or ether to remove it. You will end up with a bigger issue from the glue if it is not completly cleaned up. I put rubber mats under my horses when hock sores are a problem.

DickHertz
Aug. 17, 2009, 04:32 PM
Even though it may be an odd way to go about it, there are companies that make hock magnet wraps which will protect your horse from what you're describing and if you believe in magnetic therapy it may help him in that regards as well. It will work better than a felt patch.

kookicat
Aug. 17, 2009, 05:18 PM
Sounds like adding rubber matting to the floor would be easier ;) :)

SleepyFox
Aug. 17, 2009, 06:21 PM
Interesting. That sounds quite promising. So there is a sticky side that goes next to the horse's skin but you also recommend an adhesive spray? What sort of adhesive spray?

They make a patch adhesive that they sell in tack shops, but any type of adhesive spray will do (like the kind found in the craft section at WalMart, etc.) and actually works better IMO. You spray it on the sticky side just before application and you can also heat the sticky side with a lighter to make it stickier.

Lily makes a good point about daily use, though. I've never tried it for daily use, but I could see it being an irritant over time.

Mozart
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:09 AM
I do have rubber mats. Have had them for 12 years.
I have tried shavings over rubber mats.
I have tried straw over rubber mats.
I have tried straw and shavings together over rubber mats.
All in large quantities.
Trust me, this horse is a special case. I have had him for 18 years and he has been scraping open his hocks for 18 years. With age it is becoming more frequent. There must be something particularly awkward about the way he gets up that he manages to clear away the bedding and get down to the rubber mat. I have never seen it though, he can hear you coming and is always up before you get to his stall. I have only ever seen him down once in 18 years.

As I said the duct tape trick is 70% successful, if I can find something just a little stickier than duct tape I think I would finally have this licked.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will look into the magnetic hock boots. Key is whether or not they stay up all night.

lily04
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:43 AM
Gorrilla tape is stickier than regular duct tape. Elastoplast which can be found in tack stores, vet supply catalogs and some drug stores is also very sticky. I used it on a horses stifle to keep a gauze over a wound. Elastoplast also has a bit of stretgh to it so it will conform to the hock.

Mozart
Aug. 18, 2009, 12:18 PM
Gorrilla tape is stickier than regular duct tape. Elastoplast which can be found in tack stores, vet supply catalogs and some drug stores is also very sticky. I used it on a horses stifle to keep a gauze over a wound. Elastoplast also has a bit of stretgh to it so it will conform to the hock.

I've never heard of gorilla tape. Would it be in the painting section of a hardware store? Elastoplast is a good suggestion as well, thanks.

lily04
Aug. 18, 2009, 01:02 PM
My local Tractor Supply carries it. Maybe Lowes or Home Depot would have it if you don't have a TSC. It looks like black duct tape but is stronger and stickier.

kookicat
Aug. 18, 2009, 04:25 PM
Have you tried normal hock boots on him? :) Something like this? (http://www.mhts.co.uk/pro-tec-tor-hock-boots-355-p.asp)

DickHertz
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:07 PM
Have you tried normal hock boots on him? :) Something like this? (http://www.mhts.co.uk/pro-tec-tor-hock-boots-355-p.asp)

Yeah, that's what I suggested...felt patches with crazy glue ain't going to work, folks.

Mozart
Aug. 19, 2009, 11:46 AM
I have tried a few different brands of hock boots with unsatisfactory results. They were either very stiff, too hot (he once blistered under neoprene boots) or they did not stay up.

I'm not ruling out hock boots but I have not had good outcomes with them in the past.

DickHertz
Aug. 19, 2009, 11:53 AM
Put the hock wrap on, put one time around the top with duct tape, wrap the lower legs with standing wraps and they'll never come off.

Laurierace
Aug. 19, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hock boots are major overkill in this situation. Just get the gorilla tape or elastoplast and replace as needed. Buy the human version at the drug store for about a tenth the price.