PDA

View Full Version : Breeches for the one and a half handed rider?!?! Revisited for winter post 79

Invite
Aug. 16, 2009, 06:24 PM
Okay, as you probably know by now, I am disabled. I have both hands, but my left hand has very little function and almost no grip strength. I call it my half hand because it is often useless ;)

So, here is my issue...I need to start wearing pull on breeches. My hand has become significantly worse and I just can't deal with zippers and snaps, etc. This is especially the case if I am wearing said breeches for a long period and may need a potty break!!

Which pulls on full seats have you all had the best luck with? I need every advantage possible, so I must have the full seats. If you guys have any sizing advice, I normally wear a size 28 tall. I am 5'10" and long from my crotch to my waist. Are any of the pull ons that do not come in talls a possibility for someone my height?

I am thinking of FITS, but I am not sure if they come in talls. Are they stretchy enough to be long enough? I will have to save up for the FITS, so I will need more reasonably priced pull ons in the meantime.

Thanks for any and all help and advice :)

ddashaq
Aug. 16, 2009, 07:19 PM
I bought the Devon Aire knee patch pull ons last year and they have held up well. I know that they come in long and full seat for around $60-70. I would never show in them as I don't think that they are that nice, but they are perfect for schooling in. I should think they would be a good option until you get the FITS.

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 16, 2009, 07:26 PM
I have a pair of RTS breeches that I got from Dressage Extensions. They are not pull on, but they have a hook instead of a snap, and the zipper is in backwards like men's breeches, so you could zip them with your right hand easily. This might be an option if the pull-on breeches are hard to get on as some have said.

Invite
Aug. 16, 2009, 07:29 PM
You guys are awesome!!!! I appreciate all the advice. Please keep the ideas coming :)

egontoast
Aug. 16, 2009, 07:49 PM
Equissentials are comfortable pull ons and they have a comfortable wide waist band rather than tight elastic.

SillyHorse
Aug. 16, 2009, 07:59 PM
FITS pull-ons are great, as are Tropical Riders. You have plenty of options!

HenryisBlaisin'
Aug. 16, 2009, 08:02 PM
I second the Tropical Riders-very easy to pull on because they are super stretchy, and not tight in the waist once the are on!

Renae
Aug. 16, 2009, 08:04 PM
Equissentials are comfortable pull ons and they have a comfortable wide waist band rather than tight elastic.

I second these, and you can get them in custom sizes (no additional charge), so if you need a higher rise you can get them. Here is there site http://www.equissentials.net/

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Aug. 16, 2009, 08:24 PM
I've had the devonaires and found that they seemed bigger, rather than smaller.

I am wearing a pair of Ariat pullons now, and my guess is that the Ariats are better for your build, judging by how they fit me.

I am squirreling away this info...more fodder for our forum.

johnnysauntie
Aug. 16, 2009, 08:48 PM
I'm sadly not as slim as you are, but I am the same height and also have a long rise. I have two pair of Klaus Krehan "Laura" breeches that I adore. They are pull on and are great for summer riding - they're my coolest breeches by far. I am keeping my eyes peeled for more.

pucky
Aug. 16, 2009, 08:53 PM
Try the Kerrits pull on full seats- I don't know if they come in tall, but the regulars are far longer than any other regular breeches I've tried. I have a bunch of pairs and I love them!

Truthiness
Aug. 17, 2009, 02:20 AM
i think the FITS would be good choice for you---they run very long, imo. there's also a pull-on breek that has a faux button/zipper in the front and belt loops so they look like regular breeches. maybe irideon? i'm sorry, i can't remember the brand.

cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony
Aug. 17, 2009, 02:45 AM
I am 5'8.5" about 115 lbs, normally wear a 26L-28L. I have the size small sit tight Kerrits breeches that I love. I used to be a breech snob, and had Cavallos, but I love these. Although they may have changed their sizing scheme because a friend of mine got some smalls and she is about my size, but they are way too big on her. So I dunno. They don't come in talls, but thats what long socks and dress boots are for. :-)

Bogey2
Aug. 17, 2009, 06:49 AM
I love FITS....but they are not easy to get on and off. I third Equissentials, they have a great product (french terry???) that is not as form fitting as the FITS and do semi custom for a reasonable price.

ThreeFigs
Aug. 17, 2009, 12:04 PM
Kerrits, IMO, are short in the rise. I have several pair, and they're OK, but do not care for the waistband/rise on them.

FITS and Equissentials are my favorites.

goeslikestink
Aug. 17, 2009, 12:07 PM
Okay, as you probably know by now, I am disabled. I have both hands, but my left hand has very little function and almost no grip strength. I call it my half hand because it is often useless ;)

So, here is my issue...I need to start wearing pull on breeches. My hand has become significantly worse and I just can't deal with zippers and snaps, etc. This is especially the case if I am wearing said breeches for a long period and may need a potty break!!

Which pulls on full seats have you all had the best luck with? I need every advantage possible, so I must have the full seats. If you guys have any sizing advice, I normally wear a size 28 tall. I am 5'10" and long from my crotch to my waist. Are any of the pull ons that do not come in talls a possibility for someone my height?

I am thinking of FITS, but I am not sure if they come in talls. Are they stretchy enough to be long enough? I will have to save up for the FITS, so I will need more reasonably priced pull ons in the meantime.

yeap know how you feel matey-- answer velcro get someone to change the zipper for velcro - then its easy peasey to do them up

Invite
Aug. 17, 2009, 05:12 PM
The velcro idea is great, but I have a HUGE fear of coming un-velcroed and showing my undies to the world!

Thanks for all the ideas. I appreciate each and every one. It's really hard to try on a bunch of breeches in a fitting room. I need a larger area ;) I also don't want to have to order things and have to keep sending them back...ugh, shipping charges!!!!

You guys are great :)

whicker
Aug. 17, 2009, 05:52 PM
I've been in Phoenix, at a conference with my daughter, Whitney. She suggested "Chamois Butter" as a skin chafing barrier. I read her tube of it and it also can be used for softening the chamois of the triathon shorts. She likes it better than the bodyglide. She is a highly certified strength and conditioning coach, now getting her PhD in sports psychology.

I thought it might be good if one of us trialed it with the full seat breeches. (I don't wear full seat, so anyone game?)

Invite
Aug. 17, 2009, 06:17 PM
I've been in Phoenix, at a conference with my daughter, Whitney. She suggested "Chamois Butter" as a skin chafing barrier. I read her tube of it and it also can be used for softening the chamois of the triathon shorts. She likes it better than the bodyglide. She is a highly certified strength and conditioning coach, now getting her PhD in sports psychology.

I thought it might be good if one of us trialed it with the full seat breeches. (I don't wear full seat, so anyone game?)

Robin,
Where does one get "Chamois Butter"? My boy is lame right now, so I will have to wait to try it, but I'm game!!! I suppose one doesn't chafe much at the walk...hmmmm....maybe I am not worthy of being the Chamois Guinea Pig?!?!?!?!

akrogirl
Aug. 17, 2009, 08:44 PM
Kerrits, IMO, are short in the rise. I have several pair, and they're OK, but do not care for the waistband/rise on them.

FITS and Equissentials are my favorites.

Kerrits has several different styles and fits. I need a long rise and the Klassic Performance tights work well for me for schooling. The regular fabric version seems to run longer than the HT version on me. They are also easier to get into than most pull-ons.

In fact, I just conducted a little experiment and I was able to get my Kerrits on very easily using just one hand. They are also super comfortable, especially in warmer weather.

I love my FITS breeches, but have to agree with Bogey2 about them being much harder to get on and off. Maybe going up a size or two would help. The rise would certainly work in the FITS, and one of the ladies at our barn is pretty tall and she has no problem with the length. She also wears hers on the looser side and they still look fine.

JRG
Aug. 18, 2009, 06:42 AM
Don't get me wrong, I wear equisentials all the time infact they are the only ones I wear. However especially when it is hot they are tough to pull on and off.

I do have a suggestion. Equissentials does a custom breech program. I would hazzard to guess they would help you out when maybe doing a velcro "zipper" maybe throught the waistband and for the first couple of inches into the body of the breech in the front. That way if the velcro fails...you are still covered by your jacket and they would be easier to pull on and off? It is worth a shot to ask them..you may be a trend setter.

Coreene
Aug. 18, 2009, 08:37 AM
Invite, I am sure you have already done this, but do you ever use suspenders to help pull them up? A friend with a broken arm set with a bent elbow/in a sling used them, and they were a great help :yes: (couldn't keep her off the horse; arm took forever to heal, but the suspenders were a huge help pulling on her breeches).

Mitten State
Aug. 18, 2009, 08:56 AM
The Irideon brand makes the Cadence stretch-cord full-seat breeches which are great. I never thought I would buy a pair of pull on breeches. They are great because they do not look or feel like tights. Tights always felt like they were falling down. These are very comfortable and as a bonus they reasonably priced. They have a generous rise. The regular length is also generous and they also come in a long length.

dbadaro
Aug. 18, 2009, 09:41 AM
i like the kerrits microcord pull ons in full seat. i don't think they come in tall, but they are lengthy. they also make a full seat boot cut that is pull on that i love and i know it comes in regular or tall. you can wear them with paddock boots for schooling/hacking or put half chaps over as well. idk about wearing tall boots with them as i don't wear mine often.

good luck!

p.s.-kerrits also has a one year warranty on their products. i had a pair of full seats rip in the seat (not from my booty ;) ) and they replaced them with a brand new pair!

Invite
Aug. 18, 2009, 09:56 AM
Invite, I am sure you have already done this, but do you ever use suspenders to help pull them up? A friend with a broken arm set with a bent elbow/in a sling used them, and they were a great help :yes: (couldn't keep her off the horse; arm took forever to heal, but the suspenders were a huge help pulling on her breeches).

I have never tried the suspender trick. Hmmmm, it might work.

As far as my body type, I have a small waist and I am a bit larger in the thighs. If I go a size or 2 too big, they slide down and I get "diaper butt" and "crotch sag". 28s are a bit big in the waist, but seem to fit well elsewhere. When I go bigger, the waist is waaaay big and they get saggy elsewhere and saggy+baggy= wrinkles that cause rubs. My nerve issues make my skin very sensitive, so wrinkles and bags actually hurt me. I know it sounds strange, but that is a day in the life of me ;)

Does the Kerrits sit tight breeches sizing run different from the Kerrit's microcord sizing?

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Aug. 18, 2009, 10:42 AM
I bet a good rep (like, say, Smart Pak) could be an enormous help - and given their service to the community, I bet this is an avenue that could serve a need. I've emailed one of their marketing contacts to have a look at this thread.

Edited to add, I'll let you know what I hear back!

Invite
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:20 AM
I bet a good rep (like, say, Smart Pak) could be an enormous help - and given their service to the community, I bet this is an avenue that could serve a need. I've emailed one of their marketing contacts to have a look at this thread.

Edited to add, I'll let you know what I hear back!

What a fantastic idea. Thanks a lot!

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:27 AM
After all - what a terrific marketing niche, right? I also added about how we ALL could use a sports bra that would be easy to get off after you sweat!

Invite
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:58 AM
How fantastic would an easy to remove sports bra be?!?!?! After getting stuck in mine the other day, I would be one of the first in line to buy one!!!!

Hailey
Aug. 18, 2009, 12:11 PM
I know one of the options for the Equissential is a side zipper, which you could have put on the side which is easier for you to do up one-handed. That way you could have a pair of breeches that fit you well in the waist without being too big. That can be a real issue with pull-on's, as it can be hard to get them on or off. I have some Equissentials that are off-the-rack, and the waist can be hard to pull up. It's OK once I have them on. I have a long rise, and a proportionately small waist compared to my hips/booty. I don't really like my breeches loose and baggy, especially in the knee area. Don't need any rubs there, that's for sure! Another plus of the Equissentials is that the leather is sewn onto the fabric, so you won't get chafed by the leather. I've never had any rubs/chafing from them at all.

I've tried on about every style of Kerrits, and they just don't fit me well. The Irideons fit me, but I'm not too fond of the fabric.

Seems like the Equissentials could be your best bet, as they will make them to your measurements at no charge. They'll also re-size them for you if you lose weight. The Tropical Rider pull-ons could also work. I've tried some on, and they seem like they'd work pretty well.

Invite
Aug. 20, 2009, 06:58 PM
Well, I headed to the local tack shop today. It was a futile attempt to buy/try breeches. First and foremost, I checked out the Kerrits. All they had were these bootleg things. There were a ton of bootleg breeches. I really don't understand what these are for?!? How the heck do you wear boots and half chaps or tall boots? Where does all the fabric go? Do people actually wear them? I am going to have to email Kerrits and find out what's going on. I really want some of those Bamboo breeches in pull ons. Maybe I can convince them to make pull on bamboos.

Anyway, I dug through the racks and found a pair of Trainer's Choice. They weren't pull ons, but they looked nice, so I tried them on. They were one size larger then I normally wear, as they didn't have my size. These suckers were baggy, not just wrinkly, but hugely baggy in the thighs and my biggest body part happens to be the evil thighs. I swear I could have shoved a few loaves of bread in the belly area. To top it all off, I had the saggy diaper butt look. This was quite depressing.I could just picture myself getting all chafed and/or having my breeches fall off while riding in the clinic.

My main goal/reason for my trip was to check out the Irideons. I knew from past trips to the shop that they did indeed carry Irideon. The tack shop had none in longs and the smallest size was 1x. I was not a happy camper. I would have been more than happy to try on a pair close to my size even if they weren't longs to get an idea of how they fit.
Why oh why did my tack shop not have a single pair of breeches in 28L?

Tomorrow, I guess I will be off to Dover. Maybe I will just have to suck it up and wear zip ups and just refuse to imbibe any beverages or wear a pair of Depends. Doesn't sound too comfy!!! I will find good pull ons. I am determined!!!

Ellie&Werther
Aug. 20, 2009, 08:00 PM
Invite,

There is a woman here in Minnesota that makes custom pull on breeches, that are deerskin full seat. I can't remember how much between $120 and $150. She even makes polar fleece ones for winter time. I love them with my short legs, she does elastic on the bottoms and no velrco. There is no bunching of fabric. The other piece that was really nice is she was able to adjust her sewing to accommodate my left leg, which is smaller.

Invite
Aug. 20, 2009, 08:21 PM
Invite,

There is a woman here in Minnesota that makes custom pull on breeches, that are deerskin full seat. I can't remember how much between $120 and $150. She even makes polar fleece ones for winter time. I love them with my short legs, she does elastic on the bottoms and no velrco. There is no bunching of fabric. The other piece that was really nice is she was able to adjust her sewing to accommodate my left leg, which is smaller.

OOOOOOOO...could you possibly pm me with her contact info? Does she have a website? I have contacted Kerrits and FITS regarding this thread in hopes that they will join in and give us fit info, etc. You never know, maybe they will join us!

whicker
Aug. 21, 2009, 12:47 AM
Ellie,

Thank goodness you are on this thread! Please pm me with the lady's contact info, too. Most tailors here look blank when all you ask for is alterations in the waist of breeches. And you are expected to find the matching material and elastic. Most unsatisfactory!

Simbalism
Aug. 21, 2009, 01:16 AM
I also have a pair of the Devonaire knee patch pull ons. They have held up well. As the other poster stated they also come in full seat and long. I have a pair of Tropical Rider full seat in the winter fleece(Toasties) that are very nice. I believe they also come in a long. They also come in a summer weight.

JWB
Aug. 21, 2009, 09:35 AM
Just a suggestion here....
I'm pregnant and am having maternity panels added to lots of my pants that I'm probably not going to wear again after. Why not have a tailor do something like this to your favorite breeches that you can't zip any more? Take out the zipper and add in some discreet elastic!

If not, I can tell you where to send your old zip ups because we're about the same size (minus the baby bump):winkgrin:

Icecapade
Aug. 21, 2009, 09:55 AM
I ride in riding tights all the time, they are much easier to get on... sure they don't hold every lump and bump the way breeches do, but they are infinitly easier to get on/off and wear and are much cooler. That might be a good option for you too. I have the Kerrits ones and love those... totally loving Irideon right now as well!

Invite
Aug. 21, 2009, 01:38 PM
I ventured to Dover this morning. The trip proved to be hellish. The place needs bigger fitting rooms. I tried on breeches of EVERY brand. My evil mother made me try on breeches with zippers, too. I am in a state of exhaustion and my left hand will be 100% useless for the remainder of the day :(

I am in love with FITS. I did not buy a pair today, but I will be buying a pair. They have plenty of stretch and reach my waist!!!! I just wonder why the black and navy are so darn shiny. I would feel like a disco ball in those suckers!!! The size medium is plenty roomy to pull up and down with ease:)

I tried on the Irideons in longs. There was actually a pair of XS in white in the bargain basement. Aside from looking as though I belonged on a street corner, they actually fit. It wasn't pretty, but for a moment I did actually consider buying them because they were so cheap and dying them a dark color for a little camoflage. Mom nixed that idea. I ended up with Irideons in size medium with long length and regular rise. These reach my waist, too :) They are a smidge big, but I don't think the smalls would cut it and truthfully, I did not have the energy to try on the smalls. The colors I wanted were not in the store, so Dover is shipping them directly to me...no charge!!!! Because I bought 2 pair, I got 2 free tee shirts. I love freebees!!!

I really like the Dover brand breeches with the pleats and the herringbone pattern. I already own a pair, so I knew they would fit. Luckily they had none in stock, so that saved me from having to try own yet another pair of breeches. Mine at home are 28L and reach my waist. Let's keep out fingers crossed that once these breeches arrive, they also fit. Again, Dover is sending them to me for free and you saved $20 if you bought 2 pair and they were on sale. These will be for "good hand days"!

I tried on those Kerrits sit tight breeches and the fabric was just way too weird for me. Those were a definite NO.

I tried the Dover brand high waist breeches. All I can say is they were hip huggers on me!

My mother made me try on so many breeches. Naturally, when breeches weren't long enough, I had to try them on 1 size larger and then another size larger. If they are wide enough to zip and snap before they even cover my tush, that does not mean they fit!!

My leg skin feels like I have road rash. My nerve disorder makes me so sensitive. I spent literally 2 hours trying on breeches. I don't know what part of pull on breeches Mommy Dearest failed to understand, but she was my transportation, so I had to defer to her a little bit. My mom is the sweetest woman in the world and quit her job to take care of me when I was completely bed ridden, but sometimes I wish she would just let me deal with the breeches and take into account that I need pull ons.

I tried on Kerrits in a pretty brown. I thought they looked great and fit great, but mom didn't like where the seam was and felt it emphasized my thigh width too much. I looked in the mirror and felt they looked pretty darn good, but I decided to avoid an argument and bought the Irideons instead!

There you go. If you have any questions about any particular brand, as me as I probably tried them on today ;)

Invite
Aug. 21, 2009, 01:41 PM
Reply from email I sent to FITS last night:

Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for writing to me with your and your fellow posters questions. I will do my best to answer for you here. If you have further questions for me, please feel free to call me toll free at 888.360.3487 or to respond via email.

1. FITS breeches have plenty of length for you. In traditional full seats, the inseam length is always restricted by the leather that runs along the inside of the thighs and through the crotch. Because there is no leather in the crotch of FITS breeches, there is also no restriction in this area. FITS athletic gusset (and the entire breech for that matter) is made from an exclusive fabric that is 29% (that is not a typo) lycra and therefore FITS breeches offer more stretch all over than any other breech ever

2. To address your concern with pulling the breeches off and on. I just tried putting on a pair of our A600 Original pull on full seats with one hand. It sounds like we have similar, curvey figure types with small waists and bigger hips and thighs. I could pull my breeches on and off fairly easily. I suspect if I were hot and sweaty this would require more effort. To this end I also tried putting on a pair of our A603 breeches with one hand. (this is our zip front model) The zipper front opening made it much easier to pull on the breeches and to pull them off. I found it was quite easy to fasten the trouser hooks on the waistband by pulling the left side of the waistband to my belly button with my right hand; then holding the left side in place with my left forearm while sliding the trouser hooks together. Once the hooks were fastened the breeches were easy to zip up with my right hand only. I would recommend you try the zip front style based on your physical challenges.

3. Someone on the COTH thread suggested removing the zipper and replacing it with velcro. I do not think this is a good idea as velcro can be very iritating to the skin and it also would chew up the fabric and leather when the breeches were washed.

4. You asked about FITS rise length. FITS breeches have so much lycra that you can adjust how high or low you want the breeches to fit fairly easily (within reason). They are designed to sit just below the belly button on our classic size 10 fit model.

5. You also asked about what body type FITS are best suited for. Again, I refer you to our fabric content of our All Season breeches that contain 29% lycra. This makes FITS fit all kinds of body types like a second skin. Whether curvey, straight, lean or shapely, FITS All Season fabric truly fits all body types.

6. Of course I want to see everyone wearing FITS, but if you find that FITS don't work for you, I would concur with the COTH poster who noted that Equissentials will custom make breeches to your measurements and would work closely with you to solve your problem.

I hope this has been helpful. Please let me know if you need more information. Again, thank you for writing to me. You are welcome to post this response on the forum.

GOOD RIDING!

Sheryl Rudolph
FITS / FUN IN THE SADDLE, INC.
6675 SW Moonshadow Ct.
Portland OR 97223
PH 503.708.5722
FX 503.293.6386
www.FITSriding.com

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Aug. 21, 2009, 01:59 PM
Fabulous! Haven't heard yet from Smart Pak.

Invite
Aug. 21, 2009, 05:07 PM
Fabulous! Haven't heard yet from Smart Pak.

I emailed Kerrits as well. If they respond, I will let all of you know. I am beyond impressed by the speedy, honest response from FITS!

Dressage.For.Life.
Aug. 22, 2009, 01:36 AM
Check out Irideon breeches- they're all I'll wear! I'm short compared to you (5'6") though usually end up in talls, but with Irideon, the small-talls were a good 3"+ too long, so they should be ok for you. They're fairly reasonably priced and are very long lasting-

http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=TO80006

Invite
Aug. 22, 2009, 05:46 PM
Check out Irideon breeches- they're all I'll wear! I'm short compared to you (5'6") though usually end up in talls, but with Irideon, the small-talls were a good 3"+ too long, so they should be ok for you. They're fairly reasonably priced and are very long lasting-

http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=TO80006

I really liked the Irideons and have 2 pair on order. I can't wait for them to arrive :)

newrider
Aug. 22, 2009, 06:39 PM
I am your same height and wear a size MT Irideons and just love them. I have two pair that have lasted four years and are still going strong. It is so nice to have long enough breeches that don't shrink after the first wash! I also have two pair of the knee patch and almost like those even better than the full seats. I have tried other brands and styles, and every time I do, I wonder why I didn't just get another pair of the Irideons. Hopefully they will work as well for you as they do for me!

Invite
Aug. 24, 2009, 06:21 PM
Your post made me so happy that I ordered 2 pair of Irideon breeches. Yay!!! I actually made a good decision ;)

yankeeclipper
Aug. 24, 2009, 06:52 PM

FITS are one of the few brands that work for longer legs. I'm not that tall but am all leg. The pullon are cheaper and seem to be userf friendly.

Invite
Aug. 27, 2009, 07:12 PM
Well, as all of you have been following this thread know, I made a trip to Dover and had to order some breeches. I ordered 2 pair of Irideon, as Dover did not have the colors in stock that I wanted. I also ordered 2 pair of the Dover brand herringbone pleated breeches, as I figured I could use them on "good hand days" and they were quite inexpensive when compared to my precious pull ons!!! I had a pair at home in 28L that I have had for several years. They are a little big and have been since I purchased them, but they actually come up to my waist. Well, Dover had none of the breeches in the store, so I ordered 2 pair in 28L, figuring they would be the same exact breeches.

Before I headed off to ride, a Fed Ex box came. I am one of those freaks who is overcome by joy when good mail or a package arrives. I tore into the Dover box, finding only 3, yes 3 pair of breeches rather then the 4 I was supposed to receive. It turns out one pair of my Irideons are on backorder. Supposedly I will get them around Sept. 7th. I can live with that. When I spoke with the very nice, polite product advisor, she told me the 7th was the date Irideon gave them, but it is a manufacturer's backorder, so I might not have my breeches by then. I really love my other Irideon's, so I will try my very hardest to be patient.

For those of you who thought that was the bad news, read on. I was just warming up in the previous paragraph.

I took out my 2 pair of herringbone breeches and they looked tiny. Neither pair measured up with the other pair size wise. I pulled on pair #1. They legs were too short and although the waist fit, I could only zip them up 3/4s of the way. Also, and possibly of greater importance, the darn breeches reached my waist, but the crotch hung waay down. I could easily order the breeches in a 30L to see how that went, but the zippers were cheesy and the material was rough. These breeches seemed much more poorly made then my original herringbone breeches. I think I will just plain steer clear or Riding Sport or Rider's Sport, whatever they are called, riding gear.

Needless to say, I am off to Dover tomorrow evening to return the evil breeches. I have a pair of brown Kerrits on hold. I may just bite the bullet and buy my FITS. I can't afford them right now, but I might have to since Irideon has backorders on so many colors. I really like the Irideons better then the Kerrits, but I still like the Kerrits. Just a different league of breeches. Ugh. I want this to be over and done with!!!!

I just hope I don't have any bad news to report tomorrow night!!!

JRG
Aug. 27, 2009, 07:33 PM
After your recount and the response from "Fits", it honestly makes me want to go out and buy a pair (but alas I can not afford right now). That is customer service.

Good for you for trying new things!

Invite
Aug. 28, 2009, 07:59 AM
After your recount and the response from "Fits", it honestly makes me want to go out and buy a pair (but alas I can not afford right now). That is customer service.

Good for you for trying new things!

The afford part is why I am not currently the owner of a pair of FITS in every color. Actually, I am not yet the owner of a pair of FITS in any color. One day I will be. Sheryl was so kind and she went above and beyond. Other then the extreme comfort of FITS, Sheryl is why I want to give that company all my breech business!!!!!

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Aug. 28, 2009, 05:24 PM
Heard from Smart Pak - they never received the original query.

Here's what they said:

"While we are not currently offering a product that matches the original poster's inquiry, I have forwarded this email, and your feedback, to our Purchasing Department."

So we'll see what they say!

Invite
Aug. 29, 2009, 04:46 PM
Heard from Smart Pak - they never received the original query.

Here's what they said:

"While we are not currently offering a product that matches the original poster's inquiry, I have forwarded this email, and your feedback, to our Purchasing Department."

So we'll see what they say!

I'm very excited for their response.

Yesterday, I had a fantastic evening. My fantastic, wonderful, generous mother ordered me a pair of FITS in the color "Earth". They are a very early Christmas present, but she wants me to look properly attired for my visit to VA!!! While we were at Dover, I naturally headed down to the basement...this is quite a feat as they are not handicapped accessible, but it is always worth the scary descent down the stairs. In the basement, I found a pair of WHITE Irideons in small tall. These looked much less pornographic then the XS tall I tried on last week!!! In any case, the Irideons fit beautifully, looked as good as white breeches can look and were only $50. Woohooo! Naturally, I bought them. I am going to buy some Rit (I think that's what it's called) dye and dye them so I can wear them in a non show setting without looking like a moron. I had some show breeches that got ruined on a rainy day and I dyed them with the Rit. They came out fantastically. Worst case scenario, my dyed Irideons will be used for schooling on the farm only!!! Yay for me :) I'm psyched!!!

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Aug. 29, 2009, 09:43 PM
Terrific!!!

whicker
Aug. 30, 2009, 09:46 AM
There is another thread that gets into the details of which dye works best on breeches. It recommended a dye that came from a fabric/sewing shop. What color are you going to use? Something that goes with pink, I bet!

Appsolute
Aug. 30, 2009, 01:14 PM
Robin,
Where does one get "Chamois Butter"? My boy is lame right now, so I will have to wait to try it, but I'm game!!! I suppose one doesn't chafe much at the walk...hmmmm....maybe I am not worthy of being the Chamois Guinea Pig?!?!?!?!

Bike shops! I am sure you can find a bicycle retailer online as well. Bike shorts have a pad over the saddle area they call a "chamois" hence the "chamois butter" which goes on you to prevent chaffing.

Bike shops carry a ton of different anti chaffing creams etc (there is also a powder called monkey butt!). Those guys in spandex peddling for a 100 miles know how to work up a chafe! Me, I am more casual rider, so not so much chaffing ;), but if you want to find anti chafe stuff that works, a bike shop is your best bet.

kdow
Aug. 30, 2009, 02:12 PM
There is another thread that gets into the details of which dye works best on breeches. It recommended a dye that came from a fabric/sewing shop. What color are you going to use? Something that goes with pink, I bet!

The dye you'll most commonly find in craft/fabric shops that's better than RIT is Dylon brand. :)

Back to the OP: Have you tried just putting a key ring loop on the zipper tab to make it easier to hold? I knew someone who was severely disabled and had to use only one hand to fasten his jeans and the key ring worked marvelously - he could just hook a finger through and zip it up or down without any fumbling around. (I've seen something similar made from fishing line type stuff on 'medical aid' websites, if you want something less obvious than a key ring. :) )

Anyway, if that works for the zip, then I think it'd be a fairly small bit of work for a tailor to do something to the snap/button to make it work better for you - heck, if they just sewed velcro OVER the snap pieces, that might do it.

Invite
Aug. 30, 2009, 07:31 PM
The key ring loop is a fantastic idea. If I find breeches I adore that only come with zippers, I will most definitely give that a try. I currently have a big ole paper clip that I use on my "remission breeches" as I like to call them. These are only used on the farm. I was actually greatly in need of new breeches. The pull on part just makes the quest a little a tad more difficult!

Anything and everything I own must go with pink. Pink is not just a color, it is a lifestyle!!! I think I will use navy blue or black dye. As much as I would enjoy pink breeches, I need to keep my thighs as inconspicuous as possible ;)

JRG
Aug. 30, 2009, 08:35 PM
"Pink"!

I have to tell you, one week before a big show for me I washed my white equissentials with a pair of my brown ones (I wasn't paying attention that the washer was already being used).

I had the most lovely shade of pink breeches with a white full seat!

Equessentials replaced the fabric of the breeches for me, but I am sure they had a good laugh...I know I did (after the replacement pair was on its way).lol

whicker
Aug. 30, 2009, 09:49 PM
Now Invite,

Remember there was that European rider at the Las Vegas World Cup this year who had pink striped breeches, to go with the pink top and the pink saddle pad and the pink polo wraps. The stripes were vertical, and she looked quite good in them. Maybe you should consider more options for your thighs. They can't be as bad as you think!

MountainGirl7
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:52 AM
I'd go for Tropical Riders; they tend to fit a little more loosely and the waistbands are wide, which might be easier to pull up / adjust. FITS do run long, but I've heard women at the barn complaining that they are hard to get in / out of. Best of luck to you - kudos for keeping on riding!

amylmac
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:06 AM
Have you tried side zips? They do zip on the left side but maybe with a zipper pull?Also replace the snap with velcro.

Invite
Aug. 31, 2009, 05:22 PM
"Pink"!

I have to tell you, one week before a big show for me I washed my white equissentials with a pair of my brown ones (I wasn't paying attention that the washer was already being used).

I had the most lovely shade of pink breeches with a white full seat!

Equessentials replaced the fabric of the breeches for me, but I am sure they had a good laugh...I know I did (after the replacement pair was on its way).lol

That story is hilarious. Thank goodness the pink fabric was replaced!

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Aug. 31, 2009, 05:31 PM
Smart Pak's advertising/media person contacted me - she was away - so I resent her the link!

whicker
Sep. 1, 2009, 11:57 AM
Ok, Invite is getting all beautiful for her clinic. I'm quietly hiding in my non -closing breeches, humming a little tune that I WILL be able close the top 3-4" by the time she arrives and I have to go PUBLIC. I have been hanging my big cell phone over the zipper and riding at dusk, so I feel like Zorro on the trails.:cool:

I finally took the paper bag off my head, and realized it isn't going to happen. The vertebrae are not going to suddenly suck back to their original positions, no matter how fit I get.

I haven't been able to find new breeches that fit, since I am petite, short waisted and my waist is now out of proportion to the standard manufacturer's specs.

So yesterday, I screwed up my courage, called a custom tailor in Warrenton and asked if she could look at my one pair of ariats that don't have black dye from the saddle and see if there was any way to make them respectable.
This was a scary move because the last time I tried this idea with 2 different tailors I ended up with one saying there isn't enough fabric to cover THAT big of an expanse :eek:and the second one made them smaller.

This tailor was very sympathetic and interested in our cotH para threads. She wants to follow us and cheer us on!!!!:D:D

She looked at the breeches and said she would put aside some other work so I will have 1 pair for the clinic! I have to bring in another pair in the same color that have schooling status, due to the black on the bottom. She is going to take fabric from the 2nd pair to fix the 1st. Wahoo-Wah!

The second will have some other fabric to fix it's waist band. Maybe I will conjure up something that looks deliberate. Tiger stripes, leopard spots, or paisley. I guess hot pink in honor of Invite is a possibility..

The presentable pair are in dark taupe, so if I spill my ice cream or my horses slobber on me, it shouldn't show too much. I wonder if scotchguard will make them melt?

Invite
Sep. 1, 2009, 05:07 PM
Maybe you could find hot pink spandex and use the pieces of said spandex to create little waist extenders. It would be super sexy!! Maybe some little hot pink appliques on the tush cheeks. Start a trend, Whicker.

If you get your breeches dirty on day 1, we'll grab some Woolite, wash them in the hotel sink, and spend our evening driving around while holding them out the car window. You drive and I'll hold the breeches!

vali
Sep. 2, 2009, 02:14 AM
Tropical rider has seamstresses on staff that are happy to customize for you. I am also petite and short waisted and they will make them shorter and put on the low rise waistband, which I find more comfortable and flattering. They will also put on a different waistband (say M) onto a pair of differently sized breeches.

whicker
Sep. 2, 2009, 08:45 AM
Vali,
Thank you sooo much. This breech problem has been a nightmare for 4 years. When I tried to fasten the breeches, the pressure on the vertebrae made me too sick to move and I lost the feeling in my legs afterwards.

I had tried equissentials and they couldn't fit me custom. I hope that smart pak replies soon to DressageGeek. They seem to care about new market niches.

I will give Tropical rider a call and see if they can do something

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 2, 2009, 09:15 AM
whicker - I forwarded you the response - I think they'd like to talk with YOU!

whicker
Sep. 2, 2009, 03:40 PM
My apologies, DressageGeek! I will talk with them. You have done a super job of getting them interested!!

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 2, 2009, 05:04 PM
No no - it's just making the connections!!

But I did point out that "able bodied" riders would be a market as well!

Invite
Sep. 2, 2009, 07:55 PM
Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for your email and I apologize for my delay in response, this email was just brought to my attention. First, I can certainly clarify any questions on the thread and will do that; the chronicle forums are a great way for people to get more information and discuss trends etc. So you know our breeches are quite easy to fit and do have a nice range as they are sized XS, S, M, L and XL. It is true that fit between styles may be slightly different, and this is because of the body fabric used in the specific breeches. In the example of the microcord fullseats and the sit tights; the sit tights utilize a stretch woven fabric so they do have nice four-way stretch, however will feel more fitted; the microcords are the more flexible, stretchy material. In general, fullseat are going to fit slightly tighter than kneepatch solely due to the nature of the pant. I hope this helps, if you have other questions please let me know. With all our bottoms, I always tell customers to try a couple of sizes and wear what they are most comfortable in, there is no magic formula!

As far as your question and comment about pull-on Bamboo fullseats, I will certainly pass this along to Kerri and our production manager. We are definitely working to maintain our commitment to the environment and bamboo as a renewable resource and fabric is a great way for us to do so.

We do have our new Breathe Tight, which is a pull-on fullseat that you may be interested in:

http://www.kerrits.com/product_BreatheTight_w09.asp

There is also a winter version:

http://www.kerrits.com/product_PowerStretchBreatheTight_w09.asp

Both these bottoms use GripStretch which is a synthetic material that has fantastic stretch, as well as great tight in the tack technology. They are both easy to get on and may be a great option if you have not tried them yet.

Please feel free to email me directly, mary@kerrits.com with any questions or comments you may have. I hope this information helps. Again, your feedback is greatly appreciated and I look forward to any further comments, questions or concerns you may have.

All the Best,

Mary

Mary Cobey

Kerrits Equestrian Apparel
P.O. Box 1108
Hood River, OR 97031

Toll Free: 1.800.274.7946
Phone: 541.386.4187
Cell: 203.910.7609

www.kerrits.com

alacrity
Sep. 2, 2009, 08:21 PM
That's great response from Kerrits!

I'm late to the party but I have to plug Tropical Rider for having the best pull on breeches. (I get the low rise dressage patch in deerskin.) Personally, I like them better than FITS. I absolutely love their products, and other than my RTS breeches they are all I'll wear anymore. I'm gearing up for a winter breech order right now in fact!

Invite
Sep. 2, 2009, 08:40 PM

I'm late to the party but I have to plug Tropical Rider for having the best pull on breeches. (I get the low rise dressage patch in deerskin.) Personally, I like them better than FITS. I absolutely love their products, and other than my RTS breeches they are all I'll wear anymore. I'm gearing up for a winter breech order right now in fact!

I must have the longest rise in the world. Half the breeches I have owned fit me as though they were low rise....and no, they were not. I truly think a pair of low rise would barely come above the tush cheeks. People don't need to see that!!!!

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 3, 2009, 03:12 AM

ditto!

Invite
Sep. 8, 2009, 05:39 PM
My dye arrived today for my white Irideons I bought in the bargain basement. I hope they come out nicely. I bought the dye from Amazon and it worked out to be reasonable to purchase 3 different colors. I'll be checking out bargains everywhere to get 2 more pair of white breeches so I can use my other 2 packets of dye. Pair # 1, the Irideons, are going to be navy. Well, I'm going to try to make them come out navy ;)

Invite
Sep. 9, 2009, 06:39 PM
I bought the correct dye for my white bargain basement Irideons. I followed the directions precisely. My lovely breeches look as though I sat on a Smurf and smeared it on the fullseat. The rest of the breeches are powder blue. These babies didn't even come close to NAVY BLUE!!!!! I guess I won't go for the smurf butt look at the Missy clinic. These breeches will be for use at home only....preferably when there is no chance of company. On the upside, these breeches are soooo comfortable and they only cost me $50.

whicker
Sep. 9, 2009, 07:12 PM
What happens when you dye them again? Maybe it takes several rounds of dye. It might be worth talking to the dye manufacturer. Or a post on the off course forum.

Invite
Sep. 9, 2009, 07:15 PM
What happens when you dye them again? Maybe it takes several rounds of dye. It might be worth talking to the dye manufacturer. Or a post on the off course forum.

My mother actually says they will be smashing with a pink top, so I may stay smurfy!!!
BTW, check your email!!!

Invite
Oct. 16, 2009, 07:13 PM
I asked Moderator 1 to move this thread from the dressage forum to this forum because I thought it could offer more help to more riders by being moved here.

The news on my pull ons is as follows:

My favorites are the FITS. When I am back to showing, I will be getting a pair of white FITS!!!!

Second place and best value goes to the Irideons

Third place goes to my Kerrits. If I were a bit shorter, I might like the Kerrits better, but I'm not therefore I do not!

Invite
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:07 AM
I just opened my birthday present from my parents. Naturally it was wrapped in PINK paper ;) Mom and Dad bought me FITS winter breeches with the fullseat. They are 100% delicious!!! I adore them. Now I just need a beastie to ride, but I've got the breeches.

After all of my trials and tribulations while searching for breeches, I think I am a FITS girl. The winter ones are super fuzzy and cozy. To top it off, they are long enough for me. I am so excited!!!!

ThreeFigs
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:17 PM
Congratulations! I have not tried the winter FITS. They sound lovely!

RegentLion
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:09 PM
Just wanted to post this link if anyone wanted some sort of custom pull on breeches. Winter/Summer whatever.

I don't know how much she charges but I SUSPECT that it is quite reasonable, far less than the costs of FITS. Maybe for schooling at home?

This is her FB album, it is public. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grand-Forks-Air-Force-Base-ND/HorsePoor-Sleepwear-and-custom-sewing/111305977928?ref=ts#/pages/Grand-Forks-Air-Force-Base-ND/HorsePoor-Sleepwear-and-custom-sewing/111305977928?v=photos&ref=ts

Go ahead and peruse around... she can make some that are more show ring presentible and she is flexible on fabric types. VERY nice girl.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs109.snc1/4922_111316202928_111305977928_1982228_7347392_n.j pg

Some of the things she makes are pretty whacky though! :lol:

Invite
Dec. 8, 2009, 05:44 PM
Just wanted to post this link if anyone wanted some sort of custom pull on breeches. Winter/Summer whatever.

I don't know how much she charges but I SUSPECT that it is quite reasonable, far less than the costs of FITS. Maybe for schooling at home?

This is her FB album, it is public. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grand-Forks-Air-Force-Base-ND/HorsePoor-Sleepwear-and-custom-sewing/111305977928?ref=ts#/pages/Grand-Forks-Air-Force-Base-ND/HorsePoor-Sleepwear-and-custom-sewing/111305977928?v=photos&ref=ts

Go ahead and peruse around... she can make some that are more show ring presentible and she is flexible on fabric types. VERY nice girl.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs109.snc1/4922_111316202928_111305977928_1982228_7347392_n.j pg

Some of the things she makes are pretty whacky though! :lol:

I will definitely chick this stuff out. I cannot believe my mother bought me a pair of FITS. They are pricey, but lovely...and waaaay out of my budget!!!!