PDA

View Full Version : Worn out Freestyles

cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony
Aug. 16, 2009, 02:42 PM
What freestyle music do you guys think is totally worn out? Of course Pirates of the Caribbean, but I'm thinking, also any sort of Tango, there is this one tune I always here people use for Passage, I forget what its called though. Can yall think of any others?

Jim Knopf
Aug. 16, 2009, 04:45 PM
I watched one rider ride the same freestyle--exact same music, exact same choreography on two different horses--during the same class!! That, to me, was a worn out freestyle!

flyracing
Aug. 16, 2009, 05:13 PM
I watched one rider ride the same freestyle--exact same music, exact same choreography on two different horses--during the same class!! That, to me, was a worn out freestyle!

:eek: Seriously! That's goofy... I wonder what the judge was thinking the second time through.

Personally, I think there isn't anything wrong with using "worn out" music if it truly is a perfect fit for a horse. On the other hand, I always get nervous during the freestyle classes that someone after me (or before) is using one of the same pieces of music and mine is fairly original. :cool:

To actually answer your post, the two that come to mind are Jame' Bond theme song and music from the "shall we dance" sound track.

Mike Matson
Aug. 16, 2009, 06:11 PM
Is the "Nutcracker Ballet" music "worn out" after all these years of performances? Of course not! The music is never "worn out" as there are many ways of interpreting the music with your horse and through choreography. The key of course is that the music "fits" the horse.

BlueBobRadar
Aug. 16, 2009, 06:23 PM
**Crossover from H/J land**

My sister is a gymnast and I would agree with the Pirates of the Caribbean being "wornout." I think you can tell that some people use certain music because they like it and not necessarily because it fits their style. But I have minimal experience with the Dressage world, and it seems to me if a routine/freestyle is well done it doesn't matter if the music is familiar.:)

-Oh & my sister's floor music is "Bolero" from Moulin Rouge; it's very unique- any freestyles to it?

Mike Matson
Aug. 16, 2009, 07:23 PM
and it seems to me if a routine/freestyle is well done it doesn't matter if the music is familiar.

Amen! :yes:

Alagirl
Aug. 16, 2009, 10:31 PM
Is the "Nutcracker Ballet" music "worn out" after all these years of performances? Of course not! The music is never "worn out" as there are many ways of interpreting the music with your horse and through choreography. The key of course is that the music "fits" the horse.

LOL, it's kinda like 'The Eye of a Tiger" from Rocky. it's one of the most over used pieces in the Martial Arts community, not to mention every school with a Tiger mascot...the song still rocks. :lol:

But some freestyles are tired just because they are set to elevator music. Nothing can save that.

Mike Matson
Aug. 16, 2009, 11:49 PM
But some freestyles are tired just because they are set to elevator music. Nothing can save that.

Agreed. And then there are people who pick music they like with no thought as to whether it works for the horse.

Alagirl
Aug. 17, 2009, 12:37 AM
well, true, but maybe they had some sort of vision.

I think freestyle is still - after 20 years - too concerned about judges' taste.

There should be some envelope pushing going on in terms of music. Sometimes you seriously tank that sort of experiment. But think of Torvel/Dean in Icedancing and their ground breaking Bolero!

I think I can (no, really, I know I can't) deal with music that does not match. I mean, if the type horse can't carry it off, that is one thing, and ever so excusable, but being off the music with the moves, that makes my skin crawl!

spotted mustang
Aug. 18, 2009, 03:17 AM
I have an old tape of some worldcup (I think) with Kyra Kyrklund and Matador riding to some primordial-sounding drum music, more rhythmic than melodial. I thought it was very unusual and different, and it fit them perfectly.

snoopy
Aug. 18, 2009, 09:20 AM
I must say that I had grown very tired of the same (sometimes ever so slightly tweeked) freestyle that Ulla and Rusty performed...over and over again. It became very boring.