PDA

View Full Version : Double bridle help and questions

Bravestrom
Aug. 15, 2009, 07:11 PM
Okay so we are looking into getting a double bridle in anticipation of moving up so I have some questions and I have a bridle in mind and appreciate all the gurus helping me with this.

This is the bridle I am looking at - question - regular or crank noseband and what type of reins should I get?

Stubben 3400 donegal fancy spaced metallic chainmail detail double weymouth bridle - black/silver - oversized

http://www.fs-saddlery.co.uk/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=1819

I have to special order it as it is not (as far as I have found) to be available in North America.

Next question - bits - I need 6" bits - need to know where to get them, which are best - my horse is pretty light in the mouth and will back off on a heavy bit. responds to half halts very well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

slc2
Aug. 15, 2009, 07:38 PM
I prefer a crank noseband as it has more padding. It need not be adjusted tightly, one can just take advantage of the padding, which is very comfortable. I prefer dressage reins (with stops) on the snaffle rein and a plain curb rein.

J-Lu
Aug. 15, 2009, 07:39 PM
Crank cavesson - they have alot more padding and don't need to be "cranked" on. They are cushy and wide and distribute the weight better than typical cavessons.

The bits depend 100% on your horse. What kind of snaffle does he go in? Is it the best for him (i.e. are there ones that he hates or leans on or doesn't like much)? There are too many different kinds of bradoons and curbs out there to just speculate. If you can give a description of how your horse goes in different kinds of bits, it'll help. But the best option is to borrow bits from friends or your trainer and see what your horse likes. That'll likely save you a bunch of $$ in the long run! The bradoon should be 1/2" wider than your curb.

J.

Arathita
Aug. 15, 2009, 09:22 PM
Crank, for reasons mentioned above. Borrowing bits is a good idea prior to purchasing. Some big trainers swear by Herme Sprenger bits. Some big trainers swear by stainless steel. It is difficult to determine what your horse will like until you have tried it or a similar bit. Have an experienced person help you fit the bits and curb chain properly.

LMD123
Aug. 16, 2009, 04:51 PM
Crank as well for the same reasons and I like a wider (@1 1/2"), well-padded noseband. I kept my horse in the same type of bradoon as his regular snaffle, KK Ultra. See if you can borrow curb bits and/or buy a few from your tack store if they will return to see what fits. I have found there is no 'by the book' for fitting the curb...my horse is in a 6 1/4" bradoon (a smidge roomy, but not made in 6"), and a 5 1/4" curb...so you just have to see what works for the individual. The bradoon is 14mm, and the Stubben curb is just a regular low port, slightly angled forward, short shank, 16mm. I did try the Sprenger KK Weymouth, which my horse really rejected, whereas he is quiet with the current Stubben curb. Good luck!

caddym
Aug. 17, 2009, 09:01 AM
The briddle shown is a snaffle. I would consider looking into briddles with a padded crown peice. The hennig briddles are awesome, but REALLY expensive - I would check out euro american saddlery's briddles before making a final choice (you'll have this briddle a LONG time)

as far as bits....the briddon is easy, get the same type of snaffle. Don't get too thick a bit for a double. With a snaffle the thought is that a thick bit is milder than, but with a double, if the bits are too thick, the horse has a mouthful. As far as the curbs, its best to try a few before you buy. Personally, i like the KK flim flam (although I don't think they call it that any more) it has a squared. angled port. Get 5mm shanks.

Bearskin
Aug. 17, 2009, 06:18 PM
I agree with the padded option. On the site you listed for the Stuebben, there is a double by Rheingold. It has the comfort padded crown. I own several of theses. They are a great value! Very soft leather and excellent quality and craftsmanship. NO chance of brusiing ears or poll with this.

sayyadina
Aug. 17, 2009, 07:38 PM
Neue Schule has very nice bits in a wide variety of sizes, from very small to quite big. I have one that I'm very happy with. Best place to get them from is direct from their website.

Crank nosebands are not necessarily more comfortable, when adjusted loosely, than non-padded. I had one of my mares (had her jaw broken) in a bridle with a loosely adjusted crank. She didn't like that too much, or any other kind of noseband, so she doesn't use one.

Valentina_32926
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:33 AM
I agree with above poster that said try different bits before buying (if possible). My trainer allowed me to try some of her bits.

My mare has a smaller (cob) head, a wide mouth and a low pallette.

So crank noseband, padded headstall (one piece which also lessens pressure on poll - again my mare is fussy about this), thin bradoon, thin curb with SHORT shank (when mare is on she is VERY sensitive to all aides so a long shank would be over kill).
Reins came with my double (Arc de Truimph).