PDA

View Full Version : Jumping for joy!!! (or Ooo la la I love Hermes!)

Ride4Life
Aug. 15, 2009, 02:38 PM
A few months ago I bought a used Hermes Corlandus that had been ridden in only a few times. The lady had more money than god, bought it on a whim from the NY store, and then it sat in her temperature controlled tack room alongside her 20 other saddles. So she decided recently to get rid of some. I pretty much stole it! It was pristine and beautiful just needed oiling after sitting for so long, and to my joy when I got it home it fit my horse! I rode in it, and it stabilized my wiggly hips at the posting trot, and made the sitting trot ten times easier. My trainer commented in a lesson that I had improved my core strength! Ha ha!! My horses' shoulder was free and easy, she could extend her strides better, etc.

To make it short - I LOVE my Hermes! It was worth every penny.

But then I ended up putting the horse it fit up for sale, and bought my absolute dream horse Bronte. Bronte has a huge shoulder, and while the tree fits on her upper back the part over her shoulder pinches and forces the saddle downhill. I had a saddle fitter come out, and she confirmed it, the Hermes won't work. (Oh sadness!) Then she commented that with the memory foam panels you can't adjust the Hermes, and that prestige & trilogy, etc. are so much better because she can tailor them to my horse. So I tried them all, and the Prestige Optimax was ok, but not as comfortable as my dear Hermes. :no:

So I reluctantly listed my beloved saddle on craigslist last night. Of course I had a couple of calls on it first thing this morning. One lady wanted to know exactly how old the saddle was so I called Hermes NY to see if they had records of it. When I told their saddle rep Courtney my situation she informed me that there was no need to part with my saddle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hermes will send me a demo with the wide tree, let me try it for as long as I like, and then I mail them my saddle for a straight trade. Whaaaaattt?? I had no idea Hermes offered this kind of service!! Also, if the wide tree doesn't work then they will make alterations for me to fit it to my horse at no charge. And if I want a brand new saddle, I can trade in my used one and just pay a 10% restocking fee.

Now THAT is a saddle company with service!! I am just so happy I don't have to go through the hassle of selling my saddle & buying a new one!!

Oh, and I a not a Hermes dealer - just a happy customer that loves my saddle and the saddle company and has to share!!!

Jumping for joy!!! :):lol::):lol::):lol::):lol::):lol::):lol::D:D:D:D

Keepthepeace
Aug. 15, 2009, 02:52 PM
Well see what you get for making a phone call, aren't you glad you did that!? Absolutley! Obviously Hermes stands behind their products 100% and wants their customers to be MORE than happy. Congratulations! You GO girl!

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 15, 2009, 03:18 PM
They rock. I have had Hermes saddles for 30 years. Amazing saddles.

graystonefarm
Aug. 15, 2009, 03:47 PM
WOW! Next time I'm saddle shopping, I'm going to check them out.

Ride4Life
Sep. 28, 2009, 06:55 PM
Hi everyone!

I had someone PM me about Hermes trading in saddles and just wanted to clarify my post.

When I called Hermes they could tell by the serial number that my saddle is less than 2 years old, and I sent them pictures showing the fit on my horse and also the saddle's condition, which is MINT - read: no marks, scratches, wear, the leather, stitching, etc is perfect. They offered to take my saddle in trade and they would use it as a demo. So not for resale, and I think they only considered this because my saddle is in such great condition and a newer model. Sooo, I don't think they would ever do something like this for an older well worn model. But I don't know - call Hermes directly for any questions.

An update to my situation is that my medium/wide Hermes just doesn't work. Hermes was very quick to mail me the wide tree model demo. While beautiful and drool worthy.... wide is too wide. I looked at it, everyone I know looked at it, and there's just no amount of molding that could be done to the panels that would make it work. The problem isn't the width, but the front where my horse's shoulder is. She is a difficult to fit horse, and her huge shoulder juts out and needs a saddle that is curved in that area. (does that make sense?) The Hermes isn't formed that way. So my horse is officially not a candidate for a Hermes dressage saddle. I am really sad about it, but was able to pounce on a local used Prestige Optimax 34cm tree. The prestige I bought isn't any wider than the med/wide Hermes, it just curves in that spot right where I need it to.

So now I do need to send the Hermes down the road, but keep thinking "I may have a horse it will fit someday".... It's just such a gorgeous saddle. While the prestige is nice to ride in, the monoflap feel and the balance of the Hermes is the best I have ever sat in. :(

WBLover
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:25 AM
Well that's a bummer that the Hermes wouldn't work. The few people I've known that splurged on Hermes saddles absolutely loved them.

It just goes to show (by their exemplary customer service) that you do get what you pay for sometimes!!

atlatl
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:35 AM
So now I do need to send the Hermes down the road, but keep thinking "I may have a horse it will fit someday".... :(

If you don't need to sell it to buy a new saddle, seems you don't, why not keep it. As I remind my husband everytime he comments on my saddle collection; it's sunk capital and you don't have to feed them.

Valentina_32926
Oct. 1, 2009, 04:36 PM
WOW! Next time I'm saddle shopping, I'm going to check them out.
I agree but sounds like although they're willing to go the extra mile their tree isn't adjustable (at least enough) to get it to fit the horse correctly... so maybe I'll buy a Henig when my Verhan wears out.

Dressage.For.Life.
Oct. 1, 2009, 04:58 PM
That's too bad that the Hermes didn't work. I actually have a Prestige Optimax myself. You probably already know, but Prestige has a monoflap dressage saddle. It's special order, but they do make one.

http://www.kellystackshop.com/product_details.cfm?id=775&subcatID=33&catID=12