PDA

View Full Version : maternity breeches?

molliwog
Aug. 15, 2009, 02:22 PM
Okay ladies....for those of you who rode while you were pregnant, what did you do for maternity breeches? Is there someone who actually makes these?

I've gotten the okay from my doctor to keep riding as long as I feel safe and comfortable, but at almost 4 months along my much loved Cavallos aren't going to work for much longer. I'm figuring I'll be able to ride for another month or two before turning the horsies over to my trainer friend for real work for just a few months.....

I'd like to try something with a full seat if I can......

poltroon
Aug. 15, 2009, 02:38 PM
Equissentials makes them, and will remake them afterwards for you.

However, I ended up just wearing maternity stretch pants or jeans and chaps. The chaps sit below your belly anyway.

It seemed to me that having breeches made would be problematic given how quickly my shape changed, just because the timing would be always wrong.

neVar
Aug. 15, 2009, 02:56 PM
i'll second equissentials- it was perfect- lasted the whole time i rode (til 6 months- and even a few shows- and sent em off to be altered and they came back perfect

The fabric is so stretchy that it never binds and they are pull ons (You have option of zipper etc- but i wouldn't for maternity breeches)

hluing
Aug. 15, 2009, 05:02 PM
I bought a pull on breech in a size bigger than I normaly wear and that saw me through the second trimester when I stopped riding. What really bugged me was my tall boots getting too tight.

Rescue_Rider9
Aug. 16, 2009, 06:12 PM
I wouldnt waste money on breeches you arent going to wear for long. I would buy leggings (like the kinda girls wear under skirts or dresses). I bought some just to ride in for the summer from walmart for $5. They are strechy and work great with tall boots or half chaps and they are cheap!

Pretzels
Aug. 17, 2009, 12:36 AM
Yep, I second the leggings from Walmart or Target idea. That's what I did, then just about pulled them up to my chin and wore a longish shirt over them so no one could see how ridiculous I looked. Riding tights worked too, if you get them a little big you can wear them when you're pregnant and they may still fit once you're done.

What's Up
Aug. 17, 2009, 10:43 AM
Call Equiessentials ... I rode in mine until month 9

Horsepower
Aug. 17, 2009, 03:42 PM
I know someone who fell off their horse and lost the baby. I, personally, don't think it is worth riding while pregnant. Would you rather lose some time riding or lose the baby?

dbadaro
Aug. 17, 2009, 04:03 PM
I know someone who fell off their horse and lost the baby. I, personally, don't think it is worth riding while pregnant. Would you rather lose some time riding or lose the baby?

i don't think she was asking for your advice in that area. everyone is entitled to their own decision whether you approve or not.

carrie_girl
Aug. 17, 2009, 04:47 PM
I bought some Kerrits full seats. They were pull-ons and were great post-partum as well until my body was ready for regular breeches.

whicker
Aug. 17, 2009, 06:05 PM
Some of the foxhunters I know hit the Middleburg Tack Exchange or the Old Habit in Marshall, va for 2nd hand mens breeches. they also used suspenders. They laughed alot about the great deals at the hunt breakfasts. I don't know what they did for boots, but it wasn't obvious.

PNWjumper
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:46 AM
I second the Kerrits or Irideon pull-on type breeches. They're super stretchy and you can easily roll them below your belly in the end. Are you getting bigger everywhere or just in the stomach? I was able to ride in my regular [side zip] breeches through about month 9 by just threading a hair elastic through the hook on one side and hooking the other side to that. But if the breeches are getting tight everywhere then the pull-ons are a great solution to that. Regular leggings, as others have mentioned, also work well, but you definitely don't get quite as much "stick" as you would with full seat breeches.

Good luck and congrats on your baby!