PDA

View Full Version : white rubber reins are they ok at a show?

jump4it
Aug. 15, 2009, 02:02 PM
I have a pair of white rubber reins that match my dressage bridle, I am going to a mini event tomorrow and is it okay to use them? I am very new to dressage and don't know if this is okay.

Piaffing
Aug. 15, 2009, 08:12 PM
In Canada it has to be black or brown.

jcotton
Aug. 16, 2009, 08:23 AM
Check your rule book to see what legal in regards to your equipment.

Personally, I prefer continental reins (reins with leather stops). When I was eventing, I had 3 different bridles, one for each phase.

SillyHorse
Aug. 16, 2009, 08:32 AM
Ditto what jcotton says -- check your rulebook.

ESG
Aug. 16, 2009, 12:54 PM
JMO, but the only places white rubber reins are appropriate are on the jumper or XC courses. Change out your reins for dressage if you like, but don't use the rubber ones.

And unless I'm greatly mistaken, there used to be a rule in dressage that one couldn't use any rubber rein at all in competition, even the rubber-lined leather ones. Might be wise to bear that in mind when you're making future rein choices.

Pommederue
Aug. 16, 2009, 01:06 PM
JMO, but the only places white rubber reins are appropriate are on the jumper or XC courses. Change out your reins for dressage if you like, but don't use the rubber ones.

And unless I'm greatly mistaken, there used to be a rule in dressage that one couldn't use any rubber rein at all in competition, even the rubber-lined leather ones. Might be wise to bear that in mind when you're making future rein choices.

I agree, don't use white rubber reins in the show.

That said, I have used the black rubber 'lined' ones for over 10 years and never heard of a rule prohibiting them.

ESG
Aug. 16, 2009, 09:31 PM
Back before the earth's crust cooled, there was a rule that all dressage reins had to be leather, and nothing else. No web, no rubber, no nothing, except leather. I remember this because I was riding a really hard puller at that time, and wishing like hell that I had a bit more grip on my reins. ;)

ESG
Aug. 16, 2009, 10:53 PM
:cool:

Hey, I've been around a loooooong time. I make no bones about it. ;)

slc2
Aug. 16, 2009, 11:42 PM
Someone posted she used rubber line reins for the last 10 years. In the 20 yrs before that, I used them, and never had any TD point it out.

Alagirl
Aug. 16, 2009, 11:54 PM
But what was the color?

Someone posted she used rubber line reins for the last 10 years. In the 20 yrs before that, I used them, and never had any TD point it out.