PDA

View Full Version : visiting Saratoga

Mali
Aug. 15, 2009, 12:51 PM
I've never been to Saratoga, but have the chance to travel up and stay with some friends. What is the easiest way (transportation wise) to get to the track? Is there a train station close by? I'm really not looking forward to a 5 hour car ride alone...

thanks!

Linny
Aug. 16, 2009, 11:22 AM
Where are you coming from? There are trains to Albany from most directions which is about 30 miles from Saratoga. You could rent a car in Albany but I'm not sure if there are any rental offices near the train station.

Blacklabs
Aug. 16, 2009, 11:42 AM
There is a train staion in Saratoga but going into to Rensselaer - Albany, NY is easier. Many of the rental car places will pick you at the train station or you can take a cab over to Albany airport (if coming into Alb/Ren train station) the rental cars agents are there. If you are coming from the west, Schenectady will be shorter for you or even Amsterdam. Both are about 30 minutes from the track.

Mali
Aug. 16, 2009, 12:55 PM
Sorry - I should've mentioned I'm coming up from PA.

newyorkerinpa
Aug. 16, 2009, 01:12 PM
I share your frustration at the thought of a 5-hour car ride, but from my experience, there is no hassle-free way to get to Saratoga from PA (depending on where in PA you are, I guess). Any bus or train will route you through NYC, most likely. There are regular trains to Albany, but only one train a day to Saratoga itself. If you hate driving and have a lot of time, a train into NYC and then up to Albany might work. If you want to save time, I'm afraid driving may be the most direct route.

Zu Zu
Aug. 16, 2009, 03:13 PM
Fly into Albany and rent a car -the drive to Saratoga is not long and very BEAUTIFUL! IMHO

Blacklabs
Aug. 16, 2009, 03:24 PM
Taking the train from NYC along the Hidson River is beautiful and then the drive up the Northway to Saratoga is easy.
If you are coming from Binghamton area across Rt. 88, thta's another beautiful drive and no train service available.

Enjoy Saratoga, it's beautiful.