PDA

View Full Version : A dressage jacket that fits? Priceless.

Ambrey
Aug. 15, 2009, 01:14 AM
Smokey and Ambrey would like to thank the venerable Coreene for providing the jacket and Mypaintwattie and Lewin for providing much needed moral support. The still pics look better than the score sheets, but Smokey has demonstrated that although indoor arenas at away shows cause much neck craning, they do not in fact bring on the end of the world.

And Ambrey proved to herself that she can, in fact, trailer her horse to another facility and actually be brave enough to GET ON. AND RIDE IN FRONT OF A JUDGE. Even when she knows certain aspects of the required ride have recently been proving difficult.

Moral of the story: We have lots to work on for next year :) But there will never be another "first away show ever" for either of us.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x182/estarianne/P1000282.jpg

Kaeleer
Aug. 15, 2009, 01:20 AM
Oh, jolly well done!

Showing is a little like sex. You're full of nerves the first time, suffer from performance anxiety, probably find it a little anti-climactic while you're in the ring, unless you're one of the lucky ones to have an orgasmic show, but are filled with the notion, afterwards, that you have now, somehow, crossed the Rubicon into a previously unknown world.

And, as with sex, the more you work at it, the better you get! And, as with sex, you learn to pick your partners carefully, for ultimate performance.

Sorry...I could go on, but I've just realised that this post is veering WAY off-topic!

Ambrey
Aug. 15, 2009, 01:25 AM
Actually, I don't quite remember my time in the arena- except that during the second test, there was a little dog barking and that's all I could think about!

(note to self- stop thinking about dogs during sex).

Ellie&Werther
Aug. 15, 2009, 01:32 AM
Congrats! Your horse looks adorable. (:

mypaintwattie
Aug. 15, 2009, 02:06 AM
We are all very proud of you- job well done! Glad Sierra and I could be there!

MEP
Aug. 15, 2009, 02:32 AM
Well, both you and your boy look. FAHB-U-LUS. DAHLINK, FAHB-BU-LUS.

Coreene
Aug. 15, 2009, 02:45 AM
Faaaaaaabulous braids. Who did them? And big props to you, you did absolutely everything you set out to achieve and looked smashing while doing it. As for the sex part, Kaeleer is 100% spot on! :lol:

pintopiaffe
Aug. 15, 2009, 06:34 AM
GORGEOUS photo! What a stunning horse, and you both look great!

It's funny how show goals change as we mature. These days when I bring a young'un out for the first time are the most *fun* because if we don't exit the ring before the 2nd salute, then we've accomplished my goal for the day. If we actually GET a score, well, that's a bonus. If the score is above 50, well, we have champagne! :lol:

I think showing is way more fun when it's about the journey, and the miles, vs. the scores and the ribbons. Not that scores and comments aren't valuable indicators of progress and correctness, but at the end of the day, I've been more proud of a couple of tests that never broke 60 but *accomplished my goals* eminently, than higher scores. ;)

Huge kudos for getting out there. DOING it. It's more than I can say right now! :winkgrin:

TropicalStorm
Aug. 15, 2009, 10:23 AM
I think you look fantastic. And smokey is gorgeous! Well done!!!

Ambrey
Aug. 15, 2009, 11:10 AM
Faaaaaaabulous braids. Who did them? And big props to you, you did absolutely everything you set out to achieve and looked smashing while doing it. As for the sex part, Kaeleer is 100% spot on! :lol:

Andrea came out at 7 am before work and did them- I was so grateful! Smokey was a champ for the whole process, except for the "schooling in the indoor warm-up arena, with stalls all around it and horses watching, while mom wears spurs" part.

Lewin took tons of gorgeous photos- I'm really grateful for that as well, because my husband had to go pick up my daughter at camp at my ride time and he's my photographer!

And my mom has a mental block against photo taking.

But now I realized I forgot my mom was on here- thank you Woodcat for being my groom, even if you did poop out before I did ;)

Ambrey
Aug. 15, 2009, 11:14 AM
I think showing is way more fun when it's about the journey, and the miles, vs. the scores and the ribbons. Not that scores and comments aren't valuable indicators of progress and correctness, but at the end of the day, I've been more proud of a couple of tests that never broke 60 but *accomplished my goals* eminently, than higher scores. ;)

Yep, I had to go into it that way because I knew my nerves were going to be such an issue for my first show. As Lewin said in a pm- "Just think, the next show your nerves will be better and you'll actually ride!" :lol:

I told my trainer that it really wasn't my fault, because I bought this lovely now mega-vented helmet and I'm pretty sure all of my actual skills floated out the vents during the test ;)

But I managed to walk, trot, and canter in some basic semblence of a pattern that resembled what I was supposed to be donig. Sort of :)

woodcat
Aug. 15, 2009, 11:20 AM
Knowing how much courage it took me just to watch, I can't image the courage it took for her to ride.
I couldn't be more proud.

lewin
Aug. 15, 2009, 11:21 AM
Ambrey did great. What she failed to mention is that Smokey was scooting and running into all his canter transitions in the warmup. So Ambres nervousness in the ring was understandable. It is always hard when the warm-up is not going well and now your nerves are really fired up. But she went in anyways and showed that she can do it.

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures. It was all the camera.

Ambrey
Aug. 15, 2009, 11:24 AM
Knowing how much courage it took me just to watch, I can't image the courage it took for her to ride.
I couldn't be more proud.

It didn't take courage, it took bull-headed determination and a whole lot of self-deception ;)

woodcat
Aug. 15, 2009, 11:35 AM
"bull-headed determination and a whole lot of self-deception"
I think that's the definition of courage.

Ambrey
Aug. 15, 2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the compliments on the pictures. It was all the camera.

Yeah, right ;) Cameras don't design composition- the photo I posted in the OP was really beautiful!

Fantastic
Aug. 15, 2009, 12:11 PM
Kaeleer, extremely funny analogy! I was almost blushing with embarrassment reading that!:o

So does this mean that if I like to show and get a high from it - don't get nervous or anxious, but actually enjoy it - that I am an EXHIBITIONIST?:yes: And with both activities, practice does make perfect!:eek::yes::eek:

Ambrey, congrats on your first show! You horse is gorgeous!

AnotherRound
Aug. 16, 2009, 11:46 AM
It didn't take courage, it took bull-headed determination and a whole lot of self-deception ;)

I remember reading something about courage once - the boy said "I wasn't brave/courageous, I was scared". The respons was "Courage isn't never being scared. Its being scared and doing it anyway, that's brave".

Congratulations on your push forward and your accomplishments. Its not easy to give yourself these goals and rise to the challenge. Doing so seems to give us more courage though, eh? Good stuff.

cranky
Aug. 16, 2009, 11:58 AM
Your horse is gorgeous! Congratulations on having a successful day.

Paragon
Aug. 16, 2009, 01:04 PM
Congratulations! :D What a lovely photo.

ddashaq
Aug. 16, 2009, 02:10 PM
Your horse is just lovely! Do you have more pictures you can post? I would love to see more of him!

Congrats on a good show!

Ambrey
Aug. 16, 2009, 02:43 PM
Sure, here are some more photos from the show.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii193/tercesflow/Smokey%20San%20Juan/P1000284.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii193/tercesflow/Smokey%20San%20Juan/P1000292.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii193/tercesflow/Smokey%20San%20Juan/P1000314.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii193/tercesflow/Smokey%20San%20Juan/P1000333.jpg

ddashaq
Aug. 16, 2009, 04:45 PM
He is really cute! I just love a really nice draft cross. Thanks for posting more photos-- I hope that you have much success with him. Are you planning your next show yet?

Ambrey
Aug. 16, 2009, 05:35 PM
Unless there's another schooling show at the barn, we're done for the year :) I just wanted to be able to start off next year without "first show" jitters to deal with!

whicker
Aug. 16, 2009, 09:11 PM
Congratulations, Ambrey!

Why not put up that other lovely photo of you doing the test? It is really good of you! Smokey looks so super in this one. Love the braid job! I think it is wonderful that you have a support team. I hope I get to meet all of you... You all are soo caring! :D

Ambrey
Aug. 17, 2009, 12:56 AM
Which one? Lewin took all of them, she's awesome :)

I am very grateful- I could never have done even as much as I have without the support group! I was thinking about that as I was waiting to go in for my second test- what a life I have, with great people, a great horse, and the opportunity to show :)

Carolinadreamin'
Aug. 17, 2009, 09:00 AM
Congrats! I bet that feels great getting that show under your belt. Your horse looks great. How did you get his tail so bright? Our new horse is the same color as your horse, and his tail always looks a little dingy.

Nice halt, by the way. Good looking team, the two of you.

ania
Aug. 17, 2009, 09:38 AM
congrats! you two look great :) and wonderful braids!!

Ambrey
Aug. 17, 2009, 11:20 AM
Congrats! I bet that feels great getting that show under your belt. Your horse looks great. How did you get his tail so bright? Our new horse is the same color as your horse, and his tail always looks a little dingy.

Two washes with Suave shampoo followed by two washes with QuikSilver, soaking 5 mins each time. Then I slather some conditioner on it so nothing icky seeps back in.

It seems to be the protocol that works :)

His body doesn't tend to stain badly so I don't need a lot of help there, but the tail gets icky.

mp
Aug. 17, 2009, 12:15 PM
Good job, Ambrey! You both look smashing.

I've only done one recog. show. I don't ever remember being so nervous, and I've shown in a LOT of breed shows. My horse was a raving loonie in the warm-up, too. And I was so happy when he didn't buck into the canter that I forgot where I was in the test and went off course. :lol:

But we finished, I stayed on and you did, too. Congratulations!