PDA

View Full Version : Comtek vs. Eartec

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 14, 2009, 08:48 PM
This is a cross post from Off Course. Maybe these devices are more common in dressage. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with these or other types of wireless communications devices for lessons? How would you rate their reliability and effectiveness? Are there other brands out there besides these two?

Thanks for your input!:)

Calif. native
Aug. 15, 2009, 12:42 PM
I have an Eartec and my trainer has a Comtek. She does not like to use my Eartec, but they are way less expensive; it had a 2-way option that Comtek does not have (trainer usually do NOT want to hear from us students!). The sound quality is superior on Comtek (it should be for 3X $$$). If you have the $$$, get Comtek; there are speaker option available for clinics that I am not sure are available for Eartec....

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 15, 2009, 12:43 PM
Bumping...anyone use these?

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 15, 2009, 12:46 PM
I have an Eartec and my trainer has a Comtek. She does not like to use my Eartec, but they are way less expensive; it had a 2-way option that Comtek does not have (trainer usually do NOT want to hear from us students!). The sound quality is superior on Comtek (it should be for 3X $$$). If you have the $$$, get Comtek; there are speaker option available for clinics that I am not sure are available for Eartec....

Thanks, that's helpful!

yaya
Aug. 15, 2009, 03:52 PM
I haven't tried the Comtek, but I have the Eartec. I love it. I usually turn off my talk function so the trainer doesn't hear me huffing and puffing or swearing. But it is great in warmup at shows, and my trainer now uses them for everyday lessons to save her voice.

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 15, 2009, 04:14 PM
I love it. I usually turn off my talk function so the trainer doesn't hear me huffing and puffing or swearing.
:lol::lol::lol:

I posted this for my friend who boards at LAEC, which is next to a freeway. It sounds like this might be the ticket. Thanks!

Sister Margarita
Aug. 17, 2009, 08:49 AM
I have both. I like the Eartec very much, but I have found it to be a little less reliable than my Comtek. I teach on the Eartec, as I appreciate feedback from my students, but have found the 'talk' button a little sensitive. I also sometimes have to push the button several times to get it 'in gear'. I have found other units to do the same thing, so it is not just mine. For the money, it is a nice deal. At a show this weekend, many trainers were on the same channel, so there was lots of static and interference while I was trying to coach someone. I guess it is still my choice when I can rely upon it working

The Comtek is really solid, great sound, in fact, with a two-earphone/stereo type, the trainer sounds like he is talking in my head, weird for some riders, but it works for me. There is no two-way on it, which is fine for many. It is really reliable, works with either a rechargeable battery (included) or 9v store-bought batteries. Yes it is more expensive, but I am glad I have it. I can rely on it. Easy to change channels if someone is on yours, lots of channels to choose from.