PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Regal Saddles

virtus02
Aug. 14, 2009, 05:07 PM
Any experience with these saddles? likes/dislikes? thanks!

Ibex
Aug. 14, 2009, 05:37 PM
I bought mine used and LOVE it. Kevin is local, so we have quite a few of them in the barn.

PROS
- wonderful workmanship
- can be adjusted to fit multiple horses or as a youngster changes shape
- custom to you and your horse, can choose options that fit you exactly instead of just off a list.

CONS
- Kevin can sometimes be hard to get hold of. But it's worth it in the end. :lol:
- I've heard less consistently positive things about the ones with air in the saddles.

CdnTB
Aug. 14, 2009, 08:13 PM
Also bought mine used and love it as well.

:D

Rival
Aug. 15, 2009, 12:10 PM
His saddles are super soft but they ride a little different in the fact that they have a high pommel on them. I personally do not like the air. I had mine wool stuffed. While they claim they can adjust them to fit that was not my experience. While Kevin never did get it to fit my horse it did fit my friends horse extremely well and wasn't to hard to resell for a good price.

ShannonLee
Aug. 15, 2009, 12:58 PM
They are really comfortable, quite similar to some Schleese models.

neVar
Aug. 15, 2009, 03:32 PM
Nice saddle- i had one for Texas when we started him under saddle.

Like any 'adjustable' saddle- if only the front is adjusting it won't fit a horse forever if they significantly change shape. I ended up in this position (i'm a fitter myself) when my table top backed youngster grew one heck of a wither. most likely with a new panel on it it would have continued to be a good fit- but i decided to sell (with good resale value) and get a new saddle instead. (Yes yes the fact i had another child and my butt increased in size was a main reason on this)

They are a shallower seat- and more open- the block is a good size. and the leather is very yummy

dq for life
Aug. 15, 2009, 05:20 PM
It is not just the front that is "changeable". The panels can be redone too. Flair gives you more movement from your horse, which people think is bounce. It isn't. I have 2 in flair and have ridden numerous clients horses with it. Flair is also more versatile for more than one horse.

Forte
Aug. 15, 2009, 10:52 PM
Love, love, love these saddles. I have had me Regal dressage saddle for 6 years, cusom made for me (short little person) and the monstrously wide mare I had at that time. I have subsequently had it refit for 2 very different horses with no problem. I have the wool, not the air. A few people I know with Flair saddles (Schleese, DK or Regal ) have had trouble with air leaking, so I stuck with the traditional wool. Kevin can be a bit hard to get a hold of, but once you get him out to the barn he is lovely to deal with, great customer service and extremely knowledgable. I am thinking of getting a Regal jumping saddle this year. Several of my friends and students have Regals as well. All are very happy with the fit and workmanship. A few of the newer saddles have had some issues with the leather wearing faster than one would expect. Regal does offer a few different types of leather, so you might be better off choosing one of the sturdier kinds of leather, rather than the buttery soft kind.

dq for life
Aug. 15, 2009, 11:46 PM
I have never seen one with unusual wear? The older ones were in English, French and German leather (about 10 years ago). The ones now are generally french leather (the stickier softer leather). The odd one is still done in German leather (tougher hide).
French leather will wear faster, but not wear though, just lose its "new" look to it.

bluesegolene
Aug. 16, 2009, 12:44 AM
He apparently now offers saddles with air on the shoulder panels and wool on the seat (he told us about it when he came to re-stuff a couple saddles at my barn) It sounds like a clever combination. I own a Trilogy but Kevin kindly worked on it for me. Very knowledgeable and great service! Because he is local, you can find many of his saddles used around here.

virtus02
Aug. 16, 2009, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the opinions everybody! I think I will definitely take this saddle on trial! FYI this one is wool flocked and probably around 5 years old.

Ibex
Aug. 16, 2009, 11:23 AM
Try it out!

The thing with Regals is that they're custom... so buying a used one may or may not work for you when it was custom for someone else. I lucked out and found one that had been made for a local GP rider who is about 6' tall... I have long legs and always have issues getting saddles with long enough flaps...

Forte
Aug. 16, 2009, 01:50 PM
My saddle is older, and is the French leather. It's wearing very well after 6 years of use. A friend of mine just got a brand new one, also in the French leather. She mentioned that it is wearing under the leg faster than she would expect. I haven't seen it in person, though just reporting what she said. Another student had some problems with the saddle wearing at the very front of the thigh blocks (I can't remember if hers is French or Buffalo leather. That said, I still would not hesitate to buy a Regal. I am 100% satisfied with mine.