PDA

View Full Version : I lost my partner today

thatmoody
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:06 PM
And I am feeling quite lost. Mac (Lyric), our Oldenburg gelding (Lautrec/Anastasia) died today of complications from colic surgery at 7 years old. He was the best equine partner that I've ever had, and I will miss him terribly. He got a late start in life, but there was every reason to believe that he had a great career ahead of him, and I am devastated to see it cut so short. Tuesday we jumped and I saw the top of the shed we got so high, and today he's gone, and I just can't believe it.

Cinnybren
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:13 PM
I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you. Godspeed to your boy.

monstrpony
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:15 PM
So sorry. So hard to lose one like that. :(

Trevelyan96
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:15 PM
TM, I am so sorry for your loss. Godspeed Mac.

Coreene
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:18 PM
I am so sorry. Godspeed Mac.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:19 PM
I'm so very sorry. That's terrible. [[[[[[[[[[Hug]]]]]]]]]]

thatmoody
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:21 PM
Thank you all so much. I feel weird being online, but I am waiting for some storms to pass and I need the distraction. He had the best veterinary care we could get, and very quick treatment (from the time we found him colicing to surgery was about 3 hours but he just never came out). I am still in shock, and can't believe that it happened, as he was so vitally alive just the day before.

We had our issues, but most of them were mine :winkgrin:. He consistently scored 8's and 9's on his gaits, and really was a superstar at the barn. He was clown, and a giant (truly!) ham. Everyone loved him, and the entire barn is grieving with me.

dbadaro
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:25 PM
wow. i'm so sorry to hear that. such a young boy. godspeed.

((((hugs))))

johnnysauntie
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:26 PM
How heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for your loss. The suddenness must make it all that much worse. :(

EiRide
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:31 PM
I am so very sorry to read of your sudden and shocking loss. We lost my SO's first horse, a cheerful chubby Appy, suddenly to strangulating lipoma last fall. It's so horrid when one day they are bucking and farting in the field and the next they are gone, and so badly. You have my deepest empathy and sympathy.

<<hugs>>

Home Again Farm
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:32 PM
I am so very sorry. Losing one so suddenly is so difficult.

Oakstable
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:41 PM
I'm sorry. I know how you feel. I lost one to colic in July of 2008. I bred and raised her.

She wasn't insured so surgery was not an option.

Horrible thing to go through.

RIP Mac. You can go run with my gorgeous Corli.

ButterflyIris
Aug. 14, 2009, 03:04 PM
I am so sorry.... I lost a mare to colic in 2005 and it was the worst experience of my life.

They go so soon :-(

I needed support and I found hoofbeats-in-heaven.com.

I recommend this group to anyone grieving, it's a great group of supportive people who really understand.

take care of yourself.

LuvMyTB
Aug. 14, 2009, 03:22 PM
Oh no. I am so very sorry for your loss.

I lost my mare to colic in June of this year (ruptured, had to be PTS) and it was just completely devastating. She was fine one minute, and the next.....:no: I am so sorry you are having to go through this.

Hugs to you, and Godspeed to your boy.

mp
Aug. 14, 2009, 03:25 PM
Colic is the worst. I'm so sorry you lost such a young and promising horse. You have my sympathy.

goodpony
Aug. 14, 2009, 03:34 PM
Very sorry for your loss, RIP Mac.

jumpingmaya
Aug. 14, 2009, 03:46 PM
i'm so sorry!!!
I just lost mine a couple of months ago... we thought she was collicing... but she had actually ruptured her splean in her stall :no:
Wanted to put her through surgery until we did an abdominal tap and after analyzing the results, they told me she had less than 5% chance to make it through...
I rode her the day before and she was fine too...
I can't tell you it gets any better... it's really hard. My friends tried to get me to look at other horses... and I just didn't have the heart to do it for a while... now just stumbled upon a starving one- thinking that maybe she can "heal" me up if I "fix her" up... :cry:
My heart goes out to you.. just try to remember the good memories and all the things he taught you...
I bought mine as a 3 year old on the track, and she went on to be a high jumper... died at the age of 10...
Hugs...

BuddyRoo
Aug. 14, 2009, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

myvanya
Aug. 14, 2009, 03:59 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I always cry reading threads like this as I can only imagine how much you must be hurting right now. I hope that you can find some comfort and peace in all of this somehow.

Daatje
Aug. 14, 2009, 03:59 PM
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. :(

My mare is 8, I can't imagine being without her.....her dam died of colic when maresy was just a month old.....the dam was only 4 years old.....

It's terribly sad to lose them, worse, I think, when they are young and so full of life....

:cry:

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Aug. 14, 2009, 04:33 PM
Big hugs to you. So very sorry.

quietann
Aug. 14, 2009, 05:05 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this :( Losing such a young horse, and so unexpectedly... I can only imagine how you feel.

There's a nutty old TB mare named Minnie waiting for him. She loves the boys and now gets to have as many boyfriends as she wants. She was put down last Wednesday. See, she's looking forward to meeting him.... (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3303/3438276029_2deeceec05.jpg?v=0)

pintopiaffe
Aug. 14, 2009, 05:28 PM
So young and so sudden, it's not just the normal grief of loosing a piece of your heart... it's the loss of future hopes and dreams too...

Thoughts and prayers.

Invite
Aug. 14, 2009, 05:32 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. It must have been completely heartbreaking. I've been in your position and all I can tell you is that it will get better. The pain will never go away completely, but it will fade enough that eventually you will remember Mac with a smile instead of tears. My thoughts are with you!

Dressage_Julie
Aug. 14, 2009, 05:33 PM
I am so sorry for your loss! I lost one a few years ago, and it was one of the most difficult times. Best to have friends around you and know that Mac is in a very good place now!

TKR
Aug. 14, 2009, 05:35 PM
I am so sorry for your tragic loss. It's so hard to sort through all the feelings and that sense of loss is so pervasive. God bless and hugs to you -- I also lost my partner and best friend as a 7 year old in a minor surgerical procedure. It was no one's fault, he just didn't tolerate the anesthesia, unfortunately it happens. I hope you have alot of support -- all the best to you and RIP to your dear friend.
PennyG

Dressage Art
Aug. 14, 2009, 05:46 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. Colic sucks!

buck22
Aug. 14, 2009, 05:47 PM
I am so sorry for your loss

slc2
Aug. 14, 2009, 06:32 PM
Thank heaven he had you to take care of him.

Parrotnutz
Aug. 14, 2009, 07:33 PM
There are no words to help you through this. I just wanted to say....I understand what youa re feeling....I have been there with a sudden horse loss and it truly hurts like hell.

Tasker
Aug. 14, 2009, 07:34 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.

meupatdoes
Aug. 14, 2009, 07:40 PM
((((hugs))))

Ride On
Aug. 14, 2009, 07:45 PM
I am so sorry

Leena
Aug. 14, 2009, 09:21 PM
I offer you my best condoleances for this tragic loss...

J-Lu
Aug. 14, 2009, 09:28 PM
I am soo soo sooooo sorry for your loss. What a terrible thing to have to go through. I'm so sorry.

3horsemom
Aug. 14, 2009, 09:28 PM
i am so sorry. we lost our daughter's mare to colic on 041809 and my daughter (and me) is still grieving. i have no words to make you feel better except i understand how much it hurts.

sid
Aug. 14, 2009, 09:39 PM
:cry::cry::cry:...the hardest part of losing a horse is when it has become a needed friend and can make your heart soar in that partnership you describe.

That loss is devastating...big hugs. So, so sorry for the loss of your partner and the horse that captured your heart.

It ain't easy to let the dream and partnership go.:no:

canyonoak
Aug. 14, 2009, 09:40 PM
So sorry--but take comfort in knowing that your horse knows you were there for him, loved him and let him go when that was the only right thing to do.

Quinn
Aug. 14, 2009, 09:44 PM
I know words can't begin to express but others have been in your place and know how your heart feels. I'm so terribly sorry.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

mademoiselle
Aug. 14, 2009, 10:58 PM
Sorry to hear about it ...

I know it's probably too early, but if you want a horse to ride for a while, you can come and borrow one of mine. I currently to many horses and not enough time.
Feel free to PM me, if you want more details.

I had to put down one of my horses last week, it was very hard and I'm still in shock, I know how you are feeling.

Hugs

Carol O
Aug. 14, 2009, 11:06 PM
It is a hard day for you. I am very, very sorry for your loss. You will see him again someday, and of course his spirit is with you now. He will visit you in your dreams.

grayarabpony
Aug. 14, 2009, 11:09 PM
It's really hurts to lose them when they're young and vibrant, although it's never easy to love a beloved horse.(((hugs)))

Ambrey
Aug. 14, 2009, 11:23 PM
I am so sorry for your loss :(

Mary in Area 1
Aug. 14, 2009, 11:25 PM
My Ricky is just 7 and a big ham, too. I will give him an extra hug and kiss and tell him how much I love him in memory of Mac.

Take care of yourself. It's easy to get depressed and let things go when you are so sad. Be with the people and animals you love.

mbm
Aug. 15, 2009, 01:42 AM
[[[hugs]]]

i just this week lost my kitty that i had for 19 years. it is the weirdest feeling to not have him here, and i still cant imagine what it will be like without him in my life....

so i can empathize.... this kind of loss really sux. big time.

be good to yourself.... [[[hugs]]]

MEP
Aug. 15, 2009, 02:22 AM
It's such a shock when when they are suddenly in so much pain and nothing helps. I'm so sorry for your loss.

thatmoody
Aug. 15, 2009, 06:30 AM
Mademoiselle, thank you ever so much for the kind offer - I have too many to ride myself. This was the one I ALWAYS made the time to ride, though - almost every single day for the past 9 months...We had progressed so far. He was an elegant dressage horse, but he LOVED jumping.

Here he was at the last show - I haven't purchased these pictures yet, although obviously I will, so please forgive the obvious linkage. We were number 406.
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thumbpage.aspx?e=4839617

We didn't qualify for regionals (scored 62.9 :() on T4, but on T3 we had our first 68.9% under Bill Solyntijes. Our scores had been steadily improving as I fixed my cowboy seat problems and contact issues, and he was a very forgiving teacher for a young horse. I am a total dressage newbie and he was a fantastic first horse to have the opportunity to show - sometimes I didn't know what the HECK my trainer was thinking.

My kind trainer is focusing me on the stallions (and offering me her third level stallion to show - again WTH?) but of course my heart isn't in it yet. I've been through so much with the Friesian, though, with his hernia surgery, that he can hold onto me for a while. I was cleaning his stall last night and he was just going WILD in the paddock till I went out to get him, and then he settled right down. He wanted attention (he hasn't been ridden in a few days) and so I think I may ride him tonight.

KrazyTBMare
Aug. 15, 2009, 10:52 AM
I am so sorry. I was praying so hard that he would make it through.

(((HUGS)))

eventgroupie2
Aug. 15, 2009, 11:58 AM
My heart is breaking for you. God speed to him, and hugs for you. I am so sorry for your loss.

thatmoody
Aug. 15, 2009, 02:53 PM
Krazy, we all thank you for your prayers - I was looking forward to meeting you up there on Tuesday when we came up to check on him during his recuperation :(.

Well, I rode today at least - my trainer talked me out of getting on Jor Jor, and instead I rode one of the school horses we've been having trouble with for a tune-up. With his head in my lap and him scooting around like a doodle bug, I didn't have much time to mourn, so that was probably a good choice. By the time I was done he was beginning to lift his back again and smooth out, and we were having moments of relaxation, so I felt effective and kind. Gave her more to do, too, so that was probably good for both of us as she directed me. Then I went and sat in Mac's pasture under his tree and bawled, but I do feel better...

Normally I would recommend a little gentler return to riding schedule, btw, but we have a lot of horses to work with and I really can't afford to lay off. I will grieve whether I'm working or not, so I might as well be taking care of the others while I'm doing it...

Zu Zu
Aug. 15, 2009, 03:11 PM
So sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. RIP Mac.

BasqueMom
Aug. 15, 2009, 03:18 PM
So sorry for your loss of such a special horse. May the memories help ease the pain of
his loss. Hugs!

EventerOP
Aug. 15, 2009, 03:32 PM
Im so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you. I cant even imagine.

KrazyTBMare
Aug. 15, 2009, 04:05 PM
That is good you have things to help keep you busy but it is very important to take time as you did and mourn and cry and do what you need to do to get those emotions out. Advise coming from someone who is very good at cooping emotions up until they explode.

I was looking forward to meeting you too but obviously on different terms! My appt is 1pm on Tuesday and then going back down on Wednesday to pick Rex up after surgery.

Mardi
Aug. 15, 2009, 04:07 PM
And I am feeling quite lost....Tuesday we jumped and I saw the top of the shed we got so high, and today he's gone, and I just can't believe it.

I'm so sorry. Please know you are not alone, and you are in our thoughts.

What a wonderful feeling it must have been when he took you so high into the air...
such a gift ! I wish I could've been there to see it.

Take care

Hiddenacresmi
Aug. 15, 2009, 05:35 PM
So sorry for your loss. losing them is so tough. Big hug from MI

Puddin Pie
Aug. 15, 2009, 09:59 PM
Godspeed. I can tell you that the kind posts which I received on this BB after I lost my guy certainly were a great help. We feel and share your pain.

slight
Aug. 15, 2009, 10:08 PM
I'm so sorry for the loss of a wonderful partner :(

ESG
Aug. 15, 2009, 11:07 PM
So very sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose one so suddenly and unexpectedly.

{{{{{hugs}}}}} to you, and healing wishes. It will get better, but it will be so gradual, you probably won't notice. And give yourself time and permission to grieve - it's important.

Godspeed Mac.

Valentina_32926
Aug. 17, 2009, 12:01 PM
TM -
Don't know what to say other that I am SO sorry for your loss. Loosing a horse is always VERY upsetting.
S

ThreeFigs
Aug. 17, 2009, 12:08 PM
What devastating news. It's so very sad to lose them young with so much promise. I understand your pain, having lost one of my best ones at 11.

Hugs and prayers from Colorado.

Holly Jeanne
Aug. 17, 2009, 12:52 PM
Reading this broke my heart. I'm so sorry! :cry:

merrygoround
Aug. 17, 2009, 01:11 PM
My sincere sympathy. It always hurts.

MrWinston
Aug. 17, 2009, 01:23 PM
Krazy, we all thank you for your prayers - I was looking forward to meeting you up there on Tuesday when we came up to check on him during his recuperation :(.

Well, I rode today at least - my trainer talked me out of getting on Jor Jor, and instead I rode one of the school horses we've been having trouble with for a tune-up. With his head in my lap and him scooting around like a doodle bug, I didn't have much time to mourn, so that was probably a good choice. By the time I was done he was beginning to lift his back again and smooth out, and we were having moments of relaxation, so I felt effective and kind. Gave her more to do, too, so that was probably good for both of us as she directed me. Then I went and sat in Mac's pasture under his tree and bawled, but I do feel better...

Normally I would recommend a little gentler return to riding schedule, btw, but we have a lot of horses to work with and I really can't afford to lay off. I will grieve whether I'm working or not, so I might as well be taking care of the others while I'm doing it...

It's the "others" that keep us going after such a loss. We feel that they need us and that really does help. I'm sending heartfelt condolences, been there more than once.

NEHunter
Aug. 20, 2009, 08:42 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

thatmoody
Aug. 26, 2009, 08:35 AM
I'm finally doing a bit better. I'm still missing him, of course - fortunately I knew while I still had him what a once in a lifetime horse he was, and so I really savored each ride. I'm waiting on the vet hospital to send me his cremains and his tail - thinking of having a bracelet made out of it - does anyone know of a place that does such things? I can do a search.

We're planning a memorial tree planting this weekend at the barn - a magnolia tree right out in front of his pasture. THAT will be hard, but I am thinking that's the last thing I need to move on. I have a horse right now that I'm rehabbing, and he will need a lot of attention in the next few weeks (the people who know me KNOW how I love to do that and sent me a project!) so that will keep me going.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Aug. 26, 2009, 08:59 AM
Glad you are doing better. Go on Off Course and do a search - Brockstables does jewelry, and so do others.

thatmoody
Aug. 26, 2009, 02:36 PM
Thank you for the recommendation - just got back from the vet hospital today for a much more minor procedure with another horse - that was a very cleansing but healing trip. I ended up staying at a lovely little hotel in Ocala, the Ritz Historic Inn - would highly recommend it. There was something about going back up there and seeing the staff (I'm VERY familiar with them after all the time Jorrit spent there after his hernia surgery, so I enjoy hanging out). It was almost a vacation - stayed at the lovely hotel, checked on the boy every couple of hours, talked to the Dr's about Mac, and generally had a very healing trip. I'm glad I volunteered to take this one up there.

arabesque
Aug. 26, 2009, 03:48 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss...it is devestating. I almost lost my 9 year old Oldenburg mare in a barn fire in July. They are so special to us. We may heal, but we never forget them. It sounds like you are starting to feel a bit better, and it's great that you are riding.

Auburn
Aug. 26, 2009, 04:00 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Addison
Aug. 31, 2009, 07:35 PM
So very sorry to hear you lost your boy. Sending warm thoughts from PA.

God speed Mac.

Look for little Buddy to keep you company.

Addison
Aug. 31, 2009, 07:37 PM
Arabesque,

So sorry to hear of your loss. He will be in good company.

thatmoody
Aug. 31, 2009, 09:20 PM
Yes, there's a whole happy herd of them up there, isn't there? It's just us down here who miss them :(. I had a rough day today (it's kind of up and down, but some days are better than today, thank goodness, and I had a lonely day today that Jorrit couldn't ease). I lost both my parents (my mom when I was 25), and numerous horses through the years, but it just never gets any easier.

One of the doctors up at Peterson & Smith just said the loveliest thing to me, though - she told me how glad she was that I was crying about it, because she saw so many owners who just didn't do that. So we had a good cry together, and I felt better after that. I just can't imagine, but as she put it, if you don't feel it, they just become machines for you, and there's nothing in that...

KrazyTBMare
Aug. 31, 2009, 09:46 PM
Hang in there. I cannot imagine the heart ache you are going through. One day at a time though. *HUGS*

Hiddenacresmi
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:02 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. Big hug!

JLR1
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:55 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I too know the pain and devastation of losing a beloved partner too soon. It helped me to be able to write a memorial tribute on this website.

http://www.hoofbeats-in-heaven.com/hoofprints/