PDA

View Full Version : FEI bans Sheik Mo

ThisTooShallPass
Aug. 13, 2009, 10:02 PM
Hmmm...What say you about his race horses then?

So much for the feel good moments at Saratoga supporting his own circle with big purchases.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=14680

Equestrian Federation Bans its President's Husband, Dubai Ruler Sheikh Mohammed, For Six Months
by: The Associated Press
August 07 2009, Article # 14680
Print Email Add to Favorites RSS ShareThis
The International Equestrian Federation (FEI) banned its president's husband--Dubai's Sheikh Mohammed--from riding in endurance races for six months after his horse twice failed doping tests.

Sheikh Mohammed accepted the suspension based on his horse Tahhan's positive tests for a hypertension drug and the steroid stanozolol, equestrian's governing body said Monday.

"Consistent with the FEI's strict liability approach to anti-doping rule violations, the panel has found Sheikh Mohammed responsible for the doping of his horse," a tribunal panel said in a ruling published on the FEI's Web site.

His ban runs through Oct. 3, and he was assessed $4,200 in fines and legal costs.

The sheikh's horse trainer, Abdullah bin Huzaim, admitted giving the horse drugs without the sheikh's knowledge before the 74.5-mile desert races at Bahrain and Dubai.

Bin Huzaim was banned for a year and fined.

Sheikh Mohammed's wife, Princess Haya of Jordan, is president of the FEI and has campaigned to clean up equestrian's doping and medication problems. She took no part in the disciplinary process.

The three-man panel said bin Huzaim, manager of the sheihk's Emaar Stables in Dubai, "clearly wanted His Highness to do well with the horse. This behavior is not acceptable and needs to be sanctioned severely."

Sheikh Mohammed's horse tested positive for guanabenz, a drug used to treat hypertension, after he rode it in Bahrain in January and Dubai in February.

The horse also had traces of stanozolol--the anabolic steroid used by sprinter Ben Johnson at the 1988 Seoul Olympics--after the Bahrain race.

Sheikh Mohammed's lawyers informed the FEI in April of the failed doping tests. He asked to be disqualified from both races and said he would investigate how his stables were managed.

He told the panel in a written statement that he had an ownership stake in 700 endurance horses and could not be expected to be aware of each one's medication protocol. He is also one of the world's most successful owners and breeders of Thoroughbred racehorses.

The panel of FEI officials from Belgium, Ireland, and Norway said it received a signed statement from Bin Huzaim saying he believed the horse needed the medications, and that both would be "outside FEI detection times."

Sheik, Mohammed suggested that his status presented "exceptional circumstances" allowing for his ban to be reduced, the ruling said.

Suspending the sheik, from FEI competitions for six months, the panel noted that "as a person of high government status he executes his governmental role from a position of authority and effective delegation, the same principle should apply to stable management."

While the sheik, had not proposed changes to his stables' management, he rode as an amateur and got credit for proactively informing the FEI of the test results, the panel said.

The FEI tribunal is considering a separate doping case involving Sheik, Mohammed's son, Sheik, Hamdan.

Sheikh Hamdan rode his endurance horse Eo Fawati in January in Bahrain where it tested positive for metabolites of stanozolol.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 13, 2009, 10:16 PM
[B][I]Hmmm...What say you about his race horses then?

[COLOR="Red"]So much for the feel good moments at Saratoga supporting his own circle with big purchases.

And this has what bearing on racing or even purchases at Fasig-Tipton? Drug violations have tainted even The Queen of England's trainer Nicky Henderson - banned for 3 months (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/5731743/Nicky-Henderson-banned-for-three-months-over-doping-of-Queens-horse-Moonlit-Path.html)

I'm not one to defend the Sheikhs of any oil nation but frankly Mo's purchaes on the first night at F-T were as naked as possible. Did they puff up the sale records of the sires he owns? Indeed but it wasn't like he was using a shill buyer. Further the City of Saratoga saw the sales tax on those million dollar purchases.

I'd say if anything the news is more offensive to his wife and her leadership position. It's like being convicted for DUI and your spouce is the Chief of Police ... some people would be clamboring for a resignation.

Las Olas
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:05 PM
I also don't follow your point. The FEI doesn't have jurisdiction over his racehorses. As for him spending money at FTS, I think it's great. He can run those numbers up as much as he wants. Bottom line is that the money will trickle down to all of us that work in this business and I thank him for it.

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:15 PM
I guess the OP's implication is that Sheihk Mo's horses are all doped up. Maybe the OP can point to the drug infractions that his horses have accumulated under McLaughlin, Albertani, Baffert, Harty and esp the ones in Europe with it's stricter drug rules and penalties under bin Suroor, Fabre, Johnson, Gosden, Jarvis, Pantall, Bolger etc, or even in Aus under the care of Snowden etc. He certainly has enough horses running and being tested around the world.

ThisTooShallPass
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:29 PM
The attitude I am reading here is, so long as his money trickles down into your pockets, you really do not care what his does. After all, everyone else is doing it.

Very informative replies. Thank you.

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 14, 2009, 03:22 PM
The attitude I am reading here is, so long as his money trickles down into your pockets, you really do not care what his does. After all, everyone else is doing it.

No, the attitude here, as in right here where I am, is that Sheikh Mo got caught for a drug violation for one of his ENDURANCE horses. He is the one who brought the violation to the FEI, i.e he called the FEI and said, oops one of my horses has just tested positive, and he then announced that he was in effect suspending himself from ENDURANCE competition until the matter resolved and asked to be disqualified from two competitions.

What this has to do with his TB racing empire, I'm not really sure, maybe you can enlighten us. And once again, maybe you can list all the drug positives he has had in TB racing.... please list them. He has hundreds, if not thousands, of TBs in training with a plethora of different trainers all over the globe, many in countries with very strict doping rules and penalties, so by all means show us the light here. Obviously he some big drug fiend and we're just not seeing it because we are dazzled by the amount of money he spends.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 14, 2009, 03:23 PM

If that's what you want to read in a between the lines kind of way I won't be able to convince you otherwise. However I do take offense to any suggestion that is "my view".

Mo did it, was caught, and is penalized. What else is there is say? Seriously. If the multiple horse racing trainers underneath him - please don't suggest he actually trains his race horses - are under instruction to dope then the numbers don't show it.

You simply cannot take one violation outside of horse racing and extrapolate that into suggesting is is his M.O. [no pun intended] for all horse activites.

If there was evidence he conferred with one of his trainers and gave the go-ahead of administering an illegal substance that is totally different.

I cited The Queen's trainer not to say "everyone does it" but rather to show that even owners who would likely do anything to avoid bad publicity and impropriety sadly run afoul of rules too. No one can suggest HRH The Queen advocates doping of her race horses and more then one could do with Sheikh Mo.

I suspect the fixation is that his FEI violation involved a horse. However Endurance is (to me) so removed from organized horse racing with wagering boards and other layers of regulations, etc.

Las Olas
Aug. 14, 2009, 11:18 PM

I'm not an endurance rider or fan. So, I am not qualified to form an opinion about the drug violations incurred with his ENDURANCE horses. Now, if his racing stock was testing positive, I'd have an opinion. So, the attitude you are reading is not one of greed, but of irrelevance.

As others have pointed out, he has thousands of horses, and personally, I think he's doing amazingly well with keeping the drug violations to a minimum.