PDA

View Full Version : Dressage coat woe. Is Arista out of business?

Gloria
Aug. 13, 2009, 05:57 PM
Hi all.. I'm still in the long and painful process of finding a light weight dressage coat that at least fit me OK... I'm short with even shorter waist, plus small torso, so just about everything that fit my hip is very baggy in my upper torso.... who know finding a piece of garment is like pulling a tooth...

Anyway, my plan was to go to a tack shop, try all the coats they have, and go from there. So, I went to Horse Of Course. Anything like Pikeur is out. They are built for people with longer more graceful torso I guess, not someone sqatty like me. The Eurofit is very cute. It's too heavy and baggy at the torso but everything else is good so it is OK if I can order something lighter, but then the tack shop told me those people in Germany are in "vacation"? so it will be another 8 to 10 weeks to get it in.

Then, I thought the Arista modern dressage coat looks cute on cateloge so I asked them to order one for me.. Except, they delivered this shocking news that Arista was out of business:eek:

Equibrit
Aug. 13, 2009, 06:21 PM
http://www.aristaequestrian.com/

Gloria
Aug. 13, 2009, 06:25 PM
Equibrit,

Thanks. Can't believe Arista is out of business... Don't understand why the folk at the tack shop told me that either... Weird.

Elegante E
Aug. 13, 2009, 09:28 PM
I was told that the owners/designers were retiring and not selling the business. The are supposed to be closing down. So maybe that's what the store owners were thinking.

Gloria
Aug. 14, 2009, 09:48 AM
I see.. Too bad they seem to have some really nice stuff. Do you know whether someone will continue the business once the owners retire?

CatOnLap
Aug. 14, 2009, 10:26 AM
They have had the business up for sale for over 2 years and no takers, so she is retiring. A great loss.

Dressage Art
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:40 PM
Wow, it is a great loss. I have a light modern Arista jacket and it's fantastic! Sleeves are way too long, but almost all the sleeves are way too long for my arms. Solution: alternation!

To OP: consider taking your jacket to alternations, they can do wonders with stuff. They can take in some amazing amount of fabric in for $25.00!

Gloria
Aug. 14, 2009, 01:13 PM
$25 to alter? Wow who say Oklahoma has lower cost of living? The last time I got my hunt coat altered, it was whooping $80:eek: I was told because the way the dressage coat is built, it will cost me even more. I even thought about custom made one but evidently nobody around here make custom coat any more:no: So I guess I will have no choice but getting a baggy one and have it altered...

Dressage Art
Aug. 14, 2009, 01:41 PM
if you will buy an Arista modern light coat - it has no lining = less to alter ;)

Trevelyan96
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:19 PM
Not surprised. I ordered a shirt from a tack shop to go with a vest I had bought at a show, and after 6 months, I stopped even getting updates from the tack shop, so had to go through the hassle of getting the charge removed from my balance. Its a shame, they designed some georgeous stuff.

akrogirl
Aug. 14, 2009, 06:14 PM
Wow, that really is sad :-( I bought a lot of their stuff at the World Cup and still had a long wish list. The fit was awesome and they had some very cool stuff that no-one else is offering.

booboo
Aug. 15, 2009, 12:42 AM
Try this:

http://www.shopatron.com/index/1130.0.17292.0.0.0.0

I had some communication with Sherrie less than a month ago and she told me they were doing another run of the dressage coat.

Also, http://www.inthestirrup.com/onlinestore/ carries Arista stuff.

It is a bummer that no one bought them out and eventually there will be no more Arista, but there does seem to be some stock still available. I have the Modern Dressage coat and LOVE it. I believe they make a short/petite size as well.

Tiligsmom
Aug. 15, 2009, 12:35 PM
Does anyone have the owner's contact info they can PM me?

Nevermind....found it!

snbess
Aug. 17, 2009, 12:38 AM
But...they Can't retire/close down...I love their breeches... :(

cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony
Aug. 17, 2009, 01:13 AM
I mentioned these guys on the Pikeur thread, but www.delfinasaddlery.com. They make custom coats to your measurements. My friend has one and it is to die for! They don't have short dressage coats listed right now, but I emailed them and they say they are going to be putting up pictures this week, along with button samples and fabric samples. Plus, they are cheaper than the "off the rack" prices.

Across Sicily
Aug. 17, 2009, 05:18 PM
Just a note if you are indeed looking to go the custom route...

I don't know where you are in Oklahoma, quite, but if you are anywhere near Oklahoma City, try visiting the OKC Fairgrounds when one of the big breed show World Championships is in town. There are numerous custom coat/suit makers who attend the show and will take measurements for you, etc and build you a coat. You can pick out fabric and add all the little details you like. I go down for the Morgan Grand National and there are several custom riding apparel makers down for the duration of the show (which this year is Oct 10-17) - Marsha de Arriaga (I have a saddle suit made by her; she is excellent for busty, short waisted folk like myself), and Becker Bros are also there. Arabian Nationals is in Tulsa in late September and I would bet that they, too, have custom garment makers who attend the show. I believe the QHs have something at OKC and would be completely unsurprised if custom coat makers showed up. If you Google the OKC Fairgrounds and look at the shows, then Google the shows, usually you can find a representation of the vendors that will be there.

(I highly recommend coming during the Morgans... great show to watch... we have dressage classes too!)

Gloria
Aug. 18, 2009, 12:10 PM
I mentioned these guys on the Pikeur thread, but www.delfinasaddlery.com. They make custom coats to your measurements. My friend has one and it is to die for! They don't have short dressage coats listed right now, but I emailed them and they say they are going to be putting up pictures this week, along with button samples and fabric samples. Plus, they are cheaper than the "off the rack" prices.

What what what? I just placed an order yesterday before seeing your post :cry::cry::cry:

Gloria
Aug. 18, 2009, 12:19 PM
Just a note if you are indeed looking to go the custom route...

I don't know where you are in Oklahoma, quite, but if you are anywhere near Oklahoma City, try visiting the OKC Fairgrounds when one of the big breed show World Championships is in town. There are numerous custom coat/suit makers who attend the show and will take measurements for you, etc and build you a coat. You can pick out fabric and add all the little details you like. I go down for the Morgan Grand National and there are several custom riding apparel makers down for the duration of the show (which this year is Oct 10-17) - Marsha de Arriaga (I have a saddle suit made by her; she is excellent for busty, short waisted folk like myself), and Becker Bros are also there. Arabian Nationals is in Tulsa in late September and I would bet that they, too, have custom garment makers who attend the show. I believe the QHs have something at OKC and would be completely unsurprised if custom coat makers showed up. If you Google the OKC Fairgrounds and look at the shows, then Google the shows, usually you can find a representation of the vendors that will be there.

(I highly recommend coming during the Morgans... great show to watch... we have dressage classes too!)

Hey Across Sicily, we are definitely going to Morgan Grand National!!! In fact we are showing T2~4 and Hunter Pleasure classes. I don't ride any of those saddle seat classes (those horses look just a tab too hot for me hehehe) but I love to watch them (and admire how brave some folks are:D). Oh roadster to bike is one of my all time favorites. I just wish they had a bigger arena for it. Were you there last year? My pony was the chestnut carrying the American flag (the rider was not me though).

I placed my order for the dressage coat but maybe, just maybe, I can get some really cute hunt coat at the show. Ummm I need to contrive a must-have reason...

Dramapony_misty
Aug. 18, 2009, 04:34 PM
If you are looking for a lightweight and cool coat. Try looking at the Romfh coats (http://romfh.com/en/romfh_product_details.htm?prd=3227424324). The designer lives in sunny southern CA so she knows heat. It's all stretchy and and has a mesh lining. The best part is, if it gets dirty, you can just wipe it clean!

I plan on getting one of these for the next show season. I was planning on getting it for this one, but just didn't make it to any shows so I figured I would hold off a year on the coat purchase.

Across Sicily
Aug. 18, 2009, 07:25 PM
Hey Across Sicily, we are definitely going to Morgan Grand National!!! In fact we are showing T2~4 and Hunter Pleasure classes. I don't ride any of those saddle seat classes (those horses look just a tab too hot for me hehehe) but I love to watch them (and admire how brave some folks are:D). Oh roadster to bike is one of my all time favorites. I just wish they had a bigger arena for it. Were you there last year? My pony was the chestnut carrying the American flag (the rider was not me though).

I placed my order for the dressage coat but maybe, just maybe, I can get some really cute hunt coat at the show. Ummm I need to contrive a must-have reason...

OMG a Morgan person on here that shows!!! My life is complete.

Which hunter classes are you showing in? Wonder if we'll face off! :) If not me then someone in my barn - we have an entry in just about every hunter class minus Jr Exhibitor, I think! I'm showing my hunter gelding in Amateur and Youth, and a Classic Pleasure gelding in the Open and Ladies. My barn does the saddleseat and I LOVE it - teehee. Roadster to Bike is insane. I love to watch that class too!

I was there last year - been there for many years :) - I spend probably 85% of my time back in the barns getting horses ready, etc and so I tend to miss any demos or award ceremonies... am just up when our horses go. So I doubt I saw your boy. :(

Valentina_32926
Aug. 19, 2009, 10:17 AM
Mobilehrse (spelling of horse may be wrong) on this BB sells lightweight coats - different colors (even brown) that are VERY pretty. I'm betting Jo will have something to fit you - perhaps PM her?

Some of her stuff can be seen here

http://www.mobilehorsesupply.com/close%20outs.htm

Gloria
Aug. 19, 2009, 10:48 AM
OMG a Morgan person on here that shows!!! My life is complete.

Which hunter classes are you showing in? Wonder if we'll face off! :) If not me then someone in my barn - we have an entry in just about every hunter class minus Jr Exhibitor, I think! I'm showing my hunter gelding in Amateur and Youth, and a Classic Pleasure gelding in the Open and Ladies. My barn does the saddleseat and I LOVE it - teehee. Roadster to Bike is insane. I love to watch that class too!

I was there last year - been there for many years :) - I spend probably 85% of my time back in the barns getting horses ready, etc and so I tend to miss any demos or award ceremonies... am just up when our horses go. So I doubt I saw your boy. :(

Oh I'm showing ladies and amaters, and dressage of course. You know, I love dressage but these group classes are just plain blast to ride in. Maybe we will face off :D The barn I'm going with is mainly hunter and dressage. So you are one of those fearless saddleseat riders huh?

Gloria
Aug. 19, 2009, 10:49 AM
Mobilehrse (spelling of horse may be wrong) on this BB sells lightweight coats - different colors (even brown) that are VERY pretty. I'm betting Jo will have something to fit you - perhaps PM her?

Some of her stuff can be seen here

http://www.mobilehorsesupply.com/close%20outs.htm

Valentina, thank you for the link! I will get it checked out:D

WWGeorgeMorrisD
Aug. 19, 2009, 10:53 AM
cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony you post a lot of threads about that Delfina place and you seem to be the only one who has ever heard of it. Do you own it or work there or something?

Ambrey
Aug. 19, 2009, 12:48 PM
Ooh, she has a brown one:

http://www.mobilehorsesupply.com/images/Breeches/COAT02classic.jpg

AnotherRound
Aug. 19, 2009, 02:30 PM
Ooh, she has a brown one:

http://www.mobilehorsesupply.com/images/Breeches/COAT02classic.jpg

I think that brown is horrific. Blech.

Across Sicily
Aug. 20, 2009, 01:46 AM
Oh I'm showing ladies and amaters, and dressage of course. You know, I love dressage but these group classes are just plain blast to ride in. Maybe we will face off :D The barn I'm going with is mainly hunter and dressage. So you are one of those fearless saddleseat riders huh?

Isn't it fun?? Especially on a horse you can shoot and go with! It is real SHOWING... that's for sure. I have never shown dressage but I really appreciate what it does for a horse.

Which barn are you going with? If your boy is a gelding, we will indeed be in the same Amateur Hunter Pleasure class! A barnmate is riding in the Ladies Amateur Geldings, so I will get to see your horse go then. :) (My boy is a *touch* too hot to be a Ladies horse just yet!)