PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ride in a bates dressage saddle?

EventerOP
Aug. 13, 2009, 06:47 PM
I am starting to look for a new dressage saddle for my event mare. I have a bates jump saddle and LOVE it! So I was thinking about maybe getting a bates dressage saddle.

I am only 5'1 so I have a short leg so I have a hard time finding a dressage saddle that fits. . . what do you think?

What kind of bates dressage saddle do you have? Do you like it?

Thanks!

Couture TB
Aug. 13, 2009, 06:59 PM
I'm 5'3 and I ride in either my friends bates isabell or my kiefer. On certain horses I LOVE the isabel. On others I HATE it. It all depends on the build of the horse. It does help me sit a bit better on the horses with a larger trot then my keifer does, but that is because of the very deep seat. Though before I got ill and couldn't ride much for the last 4 years I had no problem sitting any type of trot in my kiefer. So I would say the deep seat and knee blocks are a sort of crutch. That said, I have not found a single horse I didn't like the way I was able to ride them in my Kiefer. From QHs to WBs.

kip
Aug. 13, 2009, 07:14 PM
I used to own the Bates Caprilli Dressage Saddle and hated it. After I sold that saddle I never wanted another Bates Saddle again until I sat in the Bates Isabell. I ended up sitting in one by chance and fell in love with it immediately and purchased it for my horse. I have since had it for about a half a year and still love it.

saultgirl
Aug. 13, 2009, 07:33 PM
I'm 5' tall and ride in a bates innova. I love it.

EventerOP
Aug. 13, 2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone!

JB
Aug. 13, 2009, 11:01 PM
Which Bates cc saddle do you have? If it's the Caprilli, that has a curvier tree than most (all?) of the Bates Dressage saddles, so those are unlikely to fit the same horse.

But if you have an Elevation, which appears to have a flatter tree, then you're probably in business.

EventerOP
Aug. 13, 2009, 11:22 PM
I have the bates elevation jumping saddle and it fits her perfect and my friend has ridden her in the bates caprilli and that has also fit her

EventerOP
Aug. 14, 2009, 09:45 AM
Bump

rabicon
Aug. 14, 2009, 10:02 AM
I tried the bates Innova with the big blocks and hated it. It put me in the wrong position and the blocks were just way to big.

Cincinnati
Aug. 14, 2009, 01:36 PM
I would like to hear input too, especially with the Bates Isabell and how similar is it to it's sister saddle, the Wintec Isabell?

EventerOP
Aug. 14, 2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks rabicon, good to know. Ill be curious to see how I feel in it!

saultgirl
Aug. 14, 2009, 07:26 PM
I tried the bates Innova with the big blocks and hated it. It put me in the wrong position and the blocks were just way to big.

Mine are the "standard blocks" not the extended, it comes in both.

EventerOP
Aug. 14, 2009, 10:17 PM
Do most people like the standard blocks, or the extended?

saultgirl
Aug. 14, 2009, 11:26 PM
I never actually rode in the extended bloc saddle, but I think its kind of funny looking. I bought the saddle because I rode in it when I was trying out my horse; it fit him and me and I was thinking about getting a dressage saddle anyways.... It seems to have a fairly short flap.

_downpour_
Aug. 15, 2009, 06:54 AM
Yes, and I love the Bates saddles. I have a wintec Isabell, a leather Isabell, a caprilli & one of the older maestros... I prefer the wintec isabell and the maestro. Although the wintec isabells get a bit more wear & tear than the leather ones, they're so much more comfortable. I do love the leather maestro though. The caprilli I could pass on because it has such a shallow seat, but it works for the pony.

EventerOP
Aug. 15, 2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks!

neVar
Aug. 15, 2009, 03:58 PM
Have the innova love it.

my shorty best friend has an innova as well and loves it too

EventerOP
Aug. 15, 2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks! I sat in the innova today and love it! I have it on trial this week:)

KBEquine
Aug. 15, 2009, 04:34 PM
Enjoy - I've got a couple older Bates - Haute Ecoles. They are funny-looking, but comfortable. But I'm about 5'7" so I can't say how they'd be for someone shorter.

schimmel
Aug. 16, 2009, 09:59 AM
EventerOP-Just FYI, the Wintec Pro with contour blocks is very much like the Bates Innova, except synthetic and about 1/3 the price. I am just under 5'4" and it fits me very well-one of my favorite saddles ever.

EventerOP
Aug. 16, 2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks everyone!

EventerOP
Aug. 22, 2009, 01:06 PM
I have the bates innova on trial and love it! I had a question though because the knee roll is a different material how is it if it gets wet? Like if your riding in the rain. . .

Also, what do you use to clean your bates dressage saddle?

saultgirl
Aug. 22, 2009, 01:17 PM
I have the bates innova on trial and love it! I had a question though because the knee roll is a different material how is it if it gets wet? Like if your riding in the rain. . .

Also, what do you use to clean your bates dressage saddle?

Mine has never been soaked, but it has been rained on a little bit. I didn't notice any difference afterwards.

I've been cleaning with Passier saddle soap and Passier lederbalsm.

EventerOP
Aug. 22, 2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks!

Horsepower
Aug. 22, 2009, 01:26 PM
I am also 5'1" and own the Bates Innova with the extended blocks. I also love the way it fits me. It puts me in the right position and because it doesn't lock in my leg, the extended block works well. I wanted the extended block because my leg is so short in proportion to my body that I needed to make sure the block was long enough to meet my thigh.

I am having one problem with the saddle however. It squeaks like crazy. Any suggestions from others who own it?

dbadaro
Aug. 23, 2009, 12:36 PM
i just got a bates caprilli and so far i like it. i bought mine used. i like the saddle but the seat is wider then i am used to. i have the bigger knee blocks in it and they keep me in a better position. i have crooked hips and for the first time i am sitting center in the saddle.

my only complaint is that i don't like how the stirrup bars are placed. it's too much bulk under my leg so now i am off to buy the bates leather webbers. stinks because i'm so partial to the leathers i already have.

overall i like it and so does my horse. cair panels are awesome!

EventerOP
Aug. 23, 2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks!