PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Out There in a Thornhill Dressage Saddle?

HollysHobbies
Aug. 13, 2009, 04:42 PM
any experiences?

Daatje
Aug. 14, 2009, 10:49 AM
I have owned and ridden in the Thornhill JC Vienna II dressage saddle. If you're looking for a nicely balanced dressage saddle on a budget, I think they are very nice.

Excellent construction and good quality leather for years of use. I like the wide range of tree sizes offered and there's a good chance you can find one to fit horse and rider quite well.

I've never ridden in or seen the Germania, but now I'm going to have to go look it up!

I'd give the Thornhill saddles two thumbs up for meeting in the middle in regards to price and quality. :)

paintlady
Aug. 14, 2009, 11:23 AM
I've never had a Thornhill dressage saddle, but I did have a Thornhill A/P saddle. Specifically, I had the Thornhill Jorge Canaves Trail saddle. Outside of a custom saddle, it was the only one that fit my mutton-withered, broad-back mare. I had that saddle for several years. It was very comfortable and held up quite nicely. I only sold it to get a more "traditional" looking saddle since I was getting into showing. I now have a much more expesnsive custom Albion. In summary, I would not hesitate to buy another Thornhill. They seem to fit a wide range of horses and are a good value. My old Thornhill is now owned by a friend of mine.

Coreene
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:01 PM
I have both the Vienna and the Berlin, love them and actually love the Vienna more than my old Really Expensive German Dressage Saddles.

HollysHobbies
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks guys--keep any input coming...--

paintlady
Aug. 14, 2009, 01:57 PM
Anybody know where to try a Thornhill in Virginia? The only way for me to know is to try one!

I bought my Thornhill at The Old Habit in Marshall, VA. I know they keep the Jorge Canaves trail model in stock - not sure about dressage saddles.

http://www.oldhabit.com/

The Galloping Grape in Warrenton, VA appears to stock Thornhill, but I've only been there once a couple of years ago.

http://gallopinggrape.com/

ginger708
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:19 PM
I currently ride in the Germania (sp?). I love the deep seat and the blocks are nice. The back of the saddle is wide like many Albion saddles that I have tried, and is well padded. So far the saddle fits my wide draft with withers and a more narrow high withered warm blood that I'm riding currently. The saddle is heavy and the leather is slick you can tell that it is an relatively inexpensive saddle. However it have been a great workhorse for me and I will only sell it if I find a Wolfgang solo in a nice price range. Also look on ebay I got my Thornhill for a steal.

V